PDA

View Full Version : .50 BMG resgistration help

45user
03-14-2006, 9:39 AM
I bought a DPMS single shot lower in December 2004 to have it build to .50 bmg single shot rifle. I am trying to register the lower but I lost my paper works (DROS copy & FFL info that I bought from). I thought I put the paper works in my gun safe as I always do but it's missing! I purchased (started DROS) the lower on 12/18/2004 or 12/19/2004. How critical is the purchase date on the registrations form? Or can you help me find the FFL who works out of his home in Harbor City, CA? I completely forgot his name..:confused:
I remember his business card says he is a NRA certified intructor... anybody?
Thank you for your help.:(

50 Shooter
03-14-2006, 9:47 AM
I think if you're close enough to the date it's not going to matter. Can't help you with the FFL but do know one in Westminster.

unimog_88
03-14-2006, 9:58 AM
I think it's not that critical. I just filled month and year. I don't even remember the date.

My 50BMG registeration is in process. I am waiting for response.:)

GTKrockeTT
03-14-2006, 10:58 AM
month/year should be fine.

stevie
03-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Month and year is fine, that what i used with no problems from the DOJ.

45user
03-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for your help. I am going to fill it out tonight & off it goes with certified mail to DOJ!! Where did you all go to get your thumb print? Did you go to your local PD? Is it a roll thumb print or regular DROS kind of thumbprint like you do it here ar Turner's? :o
Thank you.

GTKrockeTT
03-14-2006, 11:59 AM
got my thumbprint at a local gun shop. just asked to use their ink pad.

mrkubota
03-14-2006, 12:13 PM
...... help me find the FFL who works out of his home in Harbor City, CA? I completely forgot his name..:confused:
I remember his business card says he is a NRA certified intructor... anybody?
Thank you for your help.:(

FYI, that's Brian Beck who was selling those lowers!

I bought one from him too... 12/19/04 right after the 50 shoot at ASR.

Bling Bling 2.0
03-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Month and year is just fine. I did my own fingerprint and they accepted it (very quickly!).

tenpercentfirearms
03-14-2006, 1:45 PM
I put the date on my receipt, which most likely didn't match the date on my DROS. Just put one or the other and if they don't like that, then they will let you know.

bwiese
03-14-2006, 1:53 PM
A good-faith best-estimate should be OK, don't need exact day, just month/year.

adamsreeftank
03-14-2006, 2:59 PM
DO NOT go to the local PD for a thumb print. There were some horror stories posted on this board by people who did that and got hassled. I would just go to a local gun store and borrow their ink pad.

bwiese
03-14-2006, 3:20 PM
It's been awhile - so the 50BMG reg card does not need an officially certified fingerprint lab to take the print?

I seem to dimly recall having to go to police station in 1990 to get printed for 1st Roberti-Roos registration. I can't rememeber what I did/what was required in 1999 for SB23 registration...

Hunter
03-14-2006, 7:50 PM
It's been awhile - so the 50BMG reg card does not need an officially certified fingerprint lab to take the print?

I seem to dimly recall having to go to police station in 1990 to get printed for 1st Roberti-Roos registration. I can't rememeber what I did/what was required in 1999 for SB23 registration...

Just needs to be "identification quality". Goes on to state that the application will be returned if the fingerprint provided is unacceptable.

45user
03-14-2006, 8:02 PM
Yep,
Brian Beck is the guy. But it seems like I really don't need the exact date :D
Thanks

artherd
03-14-2006, 11:45 PM

Just needs to be legible. I did mine at home on my pad. (there is no field for fingerprint taker information at all, unlike say a standard FBI card.)

Used to be, I'd recommend troting down to the PD just to make sure you get a good print.

Nowadays, I'd stay clear of any LE :(

mrkubota
03-15-2006, 1:59 AM
What if you don't have a right thumb print to give? Or at best a 'partial'!
Does this make it an unacceptable print?

http://www.daplane.com/images/thumbpic.jpg

CALI-gula
03-15-2006, 2:16 PM
Believe it or not, the spare ink pad I had lying around the house was dried up. Crap! So what did I do? I drew on my thumb with a broad tip black paint-marker, tested it a couple of times on plain paper. Looked good. Washed my thumb, then did it again on the card.

I got my confirmation back within a week. Apparently, it was "identification quality". :D

And about receiving my confirmation, a whole other story....

Has anyone else in California received their .50BMG registration confirmation and it was opened or not sealed closed?

I mailed off my California .50BMG Registration forms (2 cards) and it arrived a week and a half later in the mail. IT WAS NOT SEALED AND ARRIVED OPENED! The glue on the envelope obviously was never licked or wetted to be shut by their mail-room and believe it or not, instead of the latter, a 1/2 inch piece of Scotch-tape was stuck on the flap to hold it closed - WHICH IT DID NOT DO! It was mailed with less care than if it had been a piece of local junk-mail, a flyer or campaign crap. Anybody could have flipped it out and read it like a wonderful shopping list of items available within my house, as it also updated my old SB23 AW registration by listing those items - because my address changed.

I called the DOJ to let them know they should be more discreet and confidential with this stuff when mailing it. I also explained that the legislatures' and DOJ's arguments of needing to prevent these .50BMG rifles from "getting into the wrong hands" is worthless if they are being so careless as to allow anyone a peek at a list of items for whomever may own these guns within their home!! They created a shopping list for criminals and are now allowing anyone the chance to gander at it in transit, from the average mail-room guy in Sacramento, to postal workers picking it up in Sacramento, to postal workers in back room warehouse, to my letter carrier, to the ever-changing "flyer-guys" of unknown origin that come three times a day to my door with junk mail and real-estate crap, and to anyone else that wished to pilfer through my mail while I was not home yesterday. The woman on the phone at the DOJ agreed with me and said she would talk to their mail-room people. She gave me the impression she was genuine, but why did it take me pointing out such a dumb careless standard of processing and delivering these things?

I am easy-going and NOT of the tin-foil-hat type and I don't think I am overreacting over this especially when the return address on the envelope indicates to the casual onlooker that it is from the firearm licensing division! That would only encourage someone's curiosity into checking the contents inside!

Has anyone else received their confirmation opened like this? This is a SERIOUS flaw in the various Anti-2nd Amendment Hate Groups' intentions on registering these things so criminals or terrorists would not get hold of them! It reminds me of the carelessness that occurred in Canada when they had to register their guns and paperwork was showing up at the wrong addresses or being delivered opened.

mrkubota
03-15-2006, 3:39 PM
I haven't received any confirmation yet, but this is how they sent the forms to me to start with....

Just taped!
http://www.daplane.com/images/doj_env00.jpg

artherd
03-16-2006, 12:30 AM
I would suggest the middle finger :D

What if you don't have a right thumb print to give? Or at best a 'partial'!
Does this make it an unacceptable print?

http://www.daplane.com/images/thumbpic.jpg

mdhpper
03-17-2006, 3:17 PM
I sent in my 50 BMG registration form a few days ago, and called today to check up on the status. I was informed that one of my rifles was processed, and accepted. The other was rejected due to the acquisition date that I incorrectly listed as 1/2005.

I put the date that I took possession, rather than the date that I started the DROS. I explained to the person on the phone that the DROS was started 12/2004, and she said no problem. She informed me that she would correct it, and send me a confirmation letter stating that the registration for both rifles was accepted.

Should I take her word for it, or send in another registration card with the amended date & application fee? Even if I do receive a letter, should I be concerned with the error listed on the registration card?

Thanks in advance!

mltrading
03-17-2006, 4:42 PM
I have sent the reg card about one week ago. Yesterday I received a letter said my 50BMG rifles registration are accepted. Just wondering, would this letter be the final evidence/proof we need to keep? Or there would be other stuff like "certificate" or "ID card" coming later?

CALI-gula
03-18-2006, 10:58 AM
mdhpper: ... I explained to the person on the phone that the DROS was started 12/2004, and she said no problem. She informed me that she would correct it, and send me a confirmation letter stating that the registration for both rifles was accepted...

You will be fine - I have heard of several others having done this - in some cases, the DOJ called THEM to verify, then made the correction when it was realized that a simple error was made.

mltrading: ...Just wondering, would this letter be the final evidence/proof we need to keep? Or there would be other stuff like "certificate" or "ID card" coming later?...

The confirmation letter is the only document you will receive. For the SB23 docs, I kept the original, then made a copy. I put the original back in my safe.

Then I took that copy, and used white-out on my name and address (but did not white-out the DOJ reference file number) then made several copies of that version.

From those copies, on each, I used white-out on the list of rifles leaving only one rifle showing for each subsequent copy I made, for each respective named rifle that I owned (so only one rifle shows per copy from the list on the original document. Of each of these, I made a copy of each for a simple document and to laminate them.

We have a laminating machine at work, so I then laminated each of these copies showing only one rifle. I then take the specific copy attributed to a specific rifle with me on the day that I take that rifle to the range.

If anyone asks to see documentation, of course I am going to refuse, but if they confirm their legitimacy as an LEO to me to ask for the info, then what I do produce for them shows only that rifle they are inquiring about, and the matching DOJ reference file number. However, if I lose the copy or leave it out one a table at the range by mistake, in that way, it does not act as a "shopping list" or show my address for anyone that finds it, or some Joe Blow Non-LEO that poses as an LEO and demands to see the document (like a security/CA customs officer at the airport or an ex-police officer that likes to commit force-entry break-ins on people's homes for the past 6 years as arrested a few weeks ago, or ????). Most non-LEO seeing the document will have their gratified that all is on order, as for most, it will likely be the first time they had ever seen such a thing.

It is just a back-up, and the legitimate LEO are able to access the total list and your file number of what you have registered anyway (they are just not allowed to "broadcast" your list). Each "neutered" copy is proof enough for anyone that might ask, and will be enough info that the legitimate LEO can match it to their records. The non-LEO will have no clue from the document of the source or home of the gun.

However, if there were to be doubt, I still have the original document if I were asked to produce it in court or for some reason that I might need to retrieve my rifle from an overzealous LEO that takes it back to the station with him because the could not access the DOJ records at the time of their inquiry.

mdhpper
03-18-2006, 8:55 PM
Thank you !

elsolo
03-19-2006, 6:02 PM
Neither of the two envelopes the DOJ sent me were glued shut, both just had scotch tape, and it held OK.

I emailed them and asked if they want: day of purchase, day DROS started, day I picked up the rifle, and can I just use month/year.

They emailed back saying just the month was OK.

I thumb printed myself, just filled in month/year instead of dates, and I got my letter back in two weeks.