PDA

View Full Version : So how many preference points do you have?


caduckgunner
05-17-2010, 8:43 PM
Deer - 5
Elk - 2
Antelope - 2

boarcrz
05-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Deer - 6
Elk - 6

Maybe this year??? :sleeping:

180ls1
05-18-2010, 4:12 PM
is a preference point a kill on a big game animal?

CA_SHARPSHOOTER
05-18-2010, 4:51 PM
deer 4 think I will get into x-ray?:TFH:

tpuig
05-18-2010, 6:27 PM
This is the first year I've purchased deer tags. I'm not really sure I'll have time to hunt this season. So I was thinking that I would apply for a Premium zone, which from what I hear if I get it, will be like hitting the lotto. But likely that choice will turn into a point. And the 2nd tag would be for a general area to go camping with the buddies and maybe see a deer.
Any suggestions on what zones to choose? I'm new to the deer thing.

deerhntr270
05-18-2010, 9:54 PM
2 - deer

5shot
05-19-2010, 1:12 AM
is a preference point a kill on a big game animal?

Several years ago Calif. finally went to a point system. If you put in for a premium hunt and don't get drawn, you earn a point. The more points you accumulate, the better chances you have to get picked for a premium hunt zone in the future.

5shot
05-19-2010, 1:16 AM
Deer - 8
Elk - 0 (drew Tenemaha Antlerless last year)
Bighorn Sheep - 5

chris
05-19-2010, 6:06 AM
deer 0 used them last year.
elk 7 no draw yet
bighorn sheep 2 i think.

lewdogg21
05-19-2010, 11:54 AM
6 - elk
6- deer
6 - antelope

Going to go preference point and (2) D zone tags this year for deer. Will put in for GI Bull Elk Bow and Clear Lake Antelope (again).

mif_slim
05-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Deer- 7
Elk - 6

igorts
05-19-2010, 9:21 PM
Deer - 8
Elk - 0 (drew Tenemaha Cow last year)
Bighorn Sheep - 5

are you ready for deer?:) its maxed out

mine:
deer: 0 (drawn and filled)
Elk: 3
Antilope :3

5shot
05-20-2010, 12:08 AM
are you ready for deer?:) its maxed out

mine:
deer: 0 (drawn and filled)
Elk: 3
Antilope :3

I usually get D-14 as my 2nd choice. I'm trying to draw G-3 (Goodale) before I die of old age. With only 35 tags each year, I may not make it. :shrug:

E Pluribus Unum
05-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Damn!! 5-7 deer points???

I have 3 deer points and was thinking there is NO way they could deny me 4 years in a row! I was convinced I was getting drawn.... now I am sad.. :(

I am part of a hunting party of 6 and I have the least amount of points; everyone else has 4.

We are going for X9A.

Abesnake
05-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Sounds like the tag system in Cali is just a way for the state to slowly accumulate more fees before a hunter can harvest anything. What's the scoop guys?

5shot
05-20-2010, 1:15 AM
Damn!! 5-7 deer points???

I have 3 deer points and was thinking there is NO way they could deny me 4 years in a row! I was convinced I was getting drawn.... now I am sad.. :(

I am part of a hunting party of 6 and I have the least amount of points; everyone else has 4.

We are going for X9A.

You may get it. I know some people who have been drawing X9a with just 3 points.

5shot
05-20-2010, 1:20 AM
Sounds like the tag system in Cali is just a way for the state to slowly accumulate more fees before a hunter can harvest anything. What's the scoop guys?

With deer tags, you either get your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice, or a refund. And earn a point if you don't get your first choice.
With elk, antelope, and sheep tags, you pay $7.50 to apply. If you get picked, you buy the tag. If you don't, you lose the $7.50 and earn a point.

FJ40 CRUZR
05-20-2010, 7:57 AM
Deer = 8

Elk = 7

Bring on the drawing .....

E Pluribus Unum
05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
With deer tags, you either get your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice, or a refund.

If you do not want to hunt that year, you can still apply and get a point by putting "P" in the box.

Arrowslinger
05-20-2010, 2:29 PM
3 for deer and not enough for elk.

AdiosKali
05-20-2010, 5:41 PM
With deer tags, you either get your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice, or a refund. And earn a point if you don't get your first choice.
With elk, antelope, and sheep tags, you pay $7.50 to apply. If you get picked, you buy the tag. If you don't, you lose the $7.50 and earn a point.

No offense but I called Fish and Game and they confirmed there is no refund this year if you do not draw your deer tag. So... For example, if you went X9A, X9B, and D17 and do not draw, no not expect your money back! Got to love CA:confused:

I have no idea why they included a refund box that you could check on the pdf application.

Elk 8 points
Antelope 8 points
Sheep 8 points

Bought points for all the above and did not bother with deer this year if they were going to keep my money. I would not mind if the money went to the line guys and gals at F&G but I doubt that is the case. Plus did not want to do deer as X9A was a bust last year and I have 2 hunts in AZ and one in UT with NM due up in a few weeks.

chris
05-20-2010, 5:59 PM
Plus did not want to do deer as X9A was a bust last year and I have 2 hunts in AZ and one in UT with NM due up in a few weeks.

my buddies and I went to X9A last year and it was a very tough hunt. it was warmer than in 07 the first time we went that time we all tagged out. last year my budds's girlfriend shot her first i took one several days later. we did better than most in our camp ground.

still love X9A as the fishing is good and hunting can be if the weather cools down enough to move the deer.

AdiosKali
05-20-2010, 6:07 PM
Could have shot forkies all day long but figured they needed to grow up.

Abesnake
05-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Pardon my ignorance, 5shot, but what do you do with the points?

5shot
05-21-2010, 2:05 PM
No offense but I called Fish and Game and they confirmed there is no refund this year if you do not draw your deer tag. So... For example, if you went X9A, X9B, and D17 and do not draw, no not expect your money back! Got to love CA:confused:



No offense taken, I forgot about that change this year. Seems like every year the changes cost us more $$$.

5shot
05-21-2010, 2:14 PM
Pardon my ignorance, 5shot, but what do you do with the points?

Basically, about 90% of the premium tags are drawn by a pool of people with max points (8 this year). The other 10% are drawn by everyone else.
As people with max points get drawn, they start over again, and someone else comes up in their place.
With this system, you can get some fairly good hunts every 3-4 years. And a chance at some excellent hunts if you have max points.

tpuig
05-21-2010, 3:11 PM
I put in for the point this year, my first. I just figured on coughing up the tag fee for the next 6 or so years to get a good hunt. Assuming it doesn't go up too much it's about $200 for a great hunt sometime in the future.

But what about a second tag? Can you pick a whole zone like B or A, instead of an individual zone like B-6? I'd like to have a tag available if I get an invite, or would like to be able to go along on a hunt with someone who knows what they're doing.




Basically, about 90% of the premium tags are drawn by a pool of people with max points (8 this year). The other 10% are drawn by everyone else.
As people with max points get drawn, they start over again, and someone else comes up in their place.
With this system, you can get some fairly good hunts every 3-4 years. And a chance at some excellent hunts if you have max points.

zerohour714
05-21-2010, 6:20 PM
Deer - 4, went To X-3b last year as a bear hunter, other people in our party had drawn tags with 6 points!!! Saw one buck that maybe weighed 120 pounds... This state blows! Anybody have points in other states? I'm gonna try for X-6a this year and fall back on D-3...We'll see but I have a feeling were going to achieve the same results as past years =-/

lewdogg21
05-21-2010, 6:30 PM
zero - Go out of State. No really. If you know a group of guys and can do some research or somebody knows somebody who went to a zone before it's a great idea. Sure the first year or two your learning the area but if you keep going it can be great.

None of my "friends" who hunt would do this so I'm stuck in CA unless I go with my father to Oregon but I don't have the time off this year and the 4k is an issue.


You max point guys... lol I have a feeling I'll be trailing you until I die.

lewdogg21
05-21-2010, 6:32 PM
But what about a second tag? Can you pick a whole zone like B or A, instead of an individual zone like B-6? I'd like to have a tag available if I get an invite, or would like to be able to go along on a hunt with someone who knows what they're doing.

Yes and No. Unless they chopped up A zone (haven't seen the map this year) you can apply for A and hunt wherever. In B zone you apply for that zone. The exceptions are areas like D3, D4, and D5 where it's a common tag for all 3 zones.

tpuig
05-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Cool, thanks. So A is open and D3-5 is open. Those are all pretty close the SF Bay area, and I've got friends with land in most of these areas. For me, though, I can probaby hit a deer, but would like somebody to show me how to dress and take care of it after the shot. If I hit the lotto and happened to get a great zone, I'd hire a guide. But probably not for an A zone hunt...

Abesnake
05-22-2010, 4:30 PM
Basically, about 90% of the premium tags are drawn by a pool of people with max points (8 this year). The other 10% are drawn by everyone else.
As people with max points get drawn, they start over again, and someone else comes up in their place.
With this system, you can get some fairly good hunts every 3-4 years. And a chance at some excellent hunts if you have max points.

Thanks 5shot.

lewdogg21
05-27-2010, 8:20 PM
Well I have only 5 points which means I will probably continue to PD for the rest of my life and never draw. :(

I put in for my usual Elk and Antelope draws....

5shot
05-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Well I have only 5 points which means I will probably continue to PD for the rest of my life and never draw. :(

I put in for my usual Elk and Antelope draws....

Put in for bull elk tags. If the zone/period only has 1 tag, it's a random draw, no points required. If the zone/period has 2 tags then 1 is points, and the other is random.

duckman1
05-28-2010, 3:22 PM
2 for Elk.

Rusty_Buckhorn
05-28-2010, 4:27 PM
deer-0, spent them last year, and glad I did
elk-4

anyone with more than 3pts can draw a descent x-zone. G3 and X5b aren't the only good zones out there.

camsoup
05-28-2010, 5:48 PM
With deer tags, you either get your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice, or a refund. And earn a point if you don't get your first choice.
With elk, antelope, and sheep tags, you pay $7.50 to apply. If you get picked, you buy the tag. If you don't, you lose the $7.50 and earn a point.


Just an FYI, this year... if you use your deer tag in the premium drawing, you DO NOT get a refund, even if you don't draw a tag. Another way for CA to keep your money this year and force giving you a point instead of a refund.