PDA

View Full Version : Best Scope for hunting with your AR-15

wags0306
05-17-2010, 6:01 PM
Im putting together a AR specifically for hunting. This is going to be my first scoped AR as all my others have been either iron sites or red dot.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to an economical scope that will sit on the flat top pitcatiny rails? Thanks in advance.

Baxter
05-17-2010, 9:39 PM
What types of ranges? Jeffu has those facogs that are fixed 4x. I have a swift 1.5x6x40mm that works great for coyotes and varmints. There could be hundreds of answers without your specifics of what you are going to be hunting.

patriot_man
05-17-2010, 9:43 PM
Dangerous game?

Solidsnake87
05-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Get something of quality. If you really want to hunt, I'm sure you'd like to make that shot right?

ACOGs are good close range scopes. They will run about $700-$1000 depending on make and model. Super Sniper scopes offer distance capability and many people use them for 1000 yard stuff. They run $300ish. I hear good things about the Nikon Buckmaster (also around $300) but you get more features out of the super sniper.

I'd personally recommend a Nightforce, but I'm sure you don't want to spend more than $1300.

If you don't mind spending about $700-800, there is a new highly anticipated line of scopes coming out called the Viper Vortex PST. Liberty Optics does calgunner deals on them. They offer all the features of $3000 scopes at 1/3 the price.

supermario
05-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I think this is exactly what you would want. I am going to build a lightweight AR and use this scope for simplicity.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-3-9x40-mark-ar-riflescopes.html

pipboy
05-17-2010, 10:15 PM
There is also the tritium/fiber-optic goodness of the Trijicon Accupoint line of scopes. Just throwing it out there.

MissionMTMan
05-18-2010, 8:12 AM
I went hunting last year with my Trijicon TAO1NSN and it was horrible. Every deer I have ever shoot was within a hundred yards until that year. There was a nice buck at 300 meters with only his head sticking out from behind a tree. For some odd reason I couldn't get my eyes to focus with the scope. I couldn't take the shot because of it. Moral of the story, use something with variable power that goes up to at least 9 power.

Black Majik
05-18-2010, 9:17 AM
1-4x. 2-10 or 3-9x will fit most applications depending on the distance you intend to hunt. You don't really need anything expensive for your AR rifle. What are you planning to shoot?

Something simple such as a Leupold VXIII, Nikon Monarch or Vortex Viper will work fine. I would stick with capped turrets instead of being exposed. The Leupold Mark AR would also be an excellent choice.

Stick with something lightweight, low magnification power and with a good reputation.

Cobrafreak
05-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Nice scopes are great if you can afford them. I can't, so when I run a scope on my AR I have a 4-16x Centerpoint that I got from Wal Mart. Paid $80 for it. It's water resistant, nitrogen filled, comes with flip caps and rings. Says it has been torture tested on a .460 so it won't break from recoil. I earned my "Rifleman" patch at Appleseed with it on my FAL. Something like this can hold you over till you get a really nice scope.

spareparts
05-18-2010, 10:57 AM
I have a Nikon Monarch on one AR and a Bushnell 3200 on another. Both work just fine with good rings.

E-120
05-18-2010, 5:52 PM
ACOG!

CoyoteHunter555
05-18-2010, 6:49 PM
Im putting together a AR specifically for hunting. This is going to be my first scoped AR as all my others have been either iron sites or red dot.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to an economical scope that will sit on the flat top pitcatiny rails? Thanks in advance.
LEAPERS ACCUSHOT!!!!

I have a leapers accushot 6-24x56 SWAT scope on my ar .223 and I have ZERO complaints. Under $200! As economical as it gets

Hunt
05-18-2010, 7:50 PM
I like the zeiss conquest scopes, very, very good mechanically / optically for the money.
Whatever you get, make sure you get a good solid mounting setup have a gunsmith level / plumb the scope and if rings lap them, otherwise you will lose accuracy. Set up is very important

advocatusdiaboli
05-18-2010, 7:52 PM
Deer hunting with a .223? Seriously? I know that is not even legal in a lot of states--its too small. WA requires .243 minimum. That's CA legal? Wow--unexpected in CA for sure

Baxter
05-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Deer hunting with a .223? Seriously? I know that is not even legal in a lot of states--its too small. WA requires .243 minimum. That's CA legal? Wow--unexpected in CA for sure

He never said what he was going to hunt or what caliber his ar is in. For all we know it could be beowulf.

wags0306
05-24-2010, 4:35 PM
He never said what he was going to hunt or what caliber his ar is in. For all we know it could be beowulf.

Dont know what caliber yet I have a couple Uppers to goof around with I have a .223, beowulf, 6.8 and a .410 so the options are there. I want coyote and pig with it mainly