PDA

View Full Version : Which Rifle?

CodeNamedSpartan
05-17-2010, 3:27 PM
I got my taxes back and have been slowing buying up and cross off the list items I've been waiting patiently to get, one of the last is a nice rifle.

I am looking at LWRC M6A2 Gas-piston California compliant carbine, and Daniel Defense M4v3 Mid-length, Now my gripe is quality, factory support, and etc. I read out of the LW catalog that they say their rifles last longer than "legacy" rifles, don't know if this is true, and been reading alot of great reviews about LWRCI's rifles in various magazines, but haven't seen anything yet about the DD M4v3, should I just go for the v2? Unsure of the v3's abilities, does anyone out there own one? I want a rifle I can keep for a long time, and know has great factory support behind it, as well is tough as nails and will be something I could pass down to my kids. Alot of my friends have been barking out LMT, Noveske, LWRCi, DPMS; in all honesty I don't know which is best.

I browsed the LW catalog and love the PSD, its a nice shorter rifle, can you guys suggest any input for me, what comes in the box when purchasing a LW rifle from you guys? What about buying a DD rifle? Whats in the box? Which do you guys sell more of? Any draw backs for either? Had some guy yelling that LWRC rifles are junk, this was at turners, and he was a random customer, telling me this. Said google them, so I did, but have come up empty handed.

Looking for advice straight from the sellers mouth, I didn't see actual Noveske Rifles on your site, or DPMS, or etc. I got a Rock River catalog in the mail also, and was looking through some of their rifles.

What're your guys suggestions?

BONECUTTER
05-17-2010, 7:52 PM
LWRC and Daniel Defense are both top shelf. You save a little money buy not going gas piston that can be used for other upgrades (optics ect).

That being said LMT and Noveske are also top shelf.

DPMS are banned in CA so you can only get the uppers.
The PSD in rifle form is a short barreled rifle and not legal in CA. You can get a PSD pistol though.

Don't think you can go wrong with any of those 4.

What look/features/use are you looking for? Might help Narrow down choices.

fcr
05-17-2010, 10:08 PM
I love the info you get from people at Turners. You have picked well IMO, nice problem to have.

shark92651
05-18-2010, 7:21 AM
Had some guy yelling that LWRC rifles are junk, this was at turners, and he was a random customer, telling me this. Said google them, so I did, but have come up empty handed.

This is funny. LWRC rifles are some of the finest built ARs on the market, if not the best in the gas piston arena. They use only top quality components and are highly regarded by those that know what they are talking about.

CodeNamedSpartan
05-18-2010, 1:20 PM
LWRC and Daniel Defense are both top shelf. You save a little money buy not going gas piston that can be used for other upgrades (optics ect).

That being said LMT and Noveske are also top shelf.

DPMS are banned in CA so you can only get the uppers.
The PSD in rifle form is a short barreled rifle and not legal in CA. You can get a PSD pistol though.

Don't think you can go wrong with any of those 4.

What look/features/use are you looking for? Might help Narrow down choices.

Well I intend to move out of the state in about a year or two, so that was why I was looking at the PSD for its compact size and ability to use in home, same guy at turners said 6.8 is better than 556/223. Odd...cause I couldn't find ammo at local big 5, and poof, some .223 easily found for $9

I youtubed the psd as well other lwrc rifles, and am falling in love with them. I haven't seen anything about the new DD mid length rifle though, so not sure what to do. longevity and ease of use and maintenance is big for me, cause I never had an AR before, but want something that as I said could be passed on to my kids when I am gone, but be used in conjunction with say g19 or 23 for home and play use at range.

Going to join an LWRC forum when I get home later tonight to chat with some owners and see what they have to say, My wife is still wanting the REPR badly, but just having to wait and save little by little for, she said get the DD if I want to save some money, or save a tad bit more and get the LWRC rifle. I am impatient by nature haha, and have been waiting since last Sept already haha, so this is hard!

As for upgrades, I am not to sure I really need much else but maybe a sling and a few small tid bits, alot of my friends are LE and Military, so much of the jargain they say, is little to none, understood on my part lol. But tacticool is def not me. I always need function over form, and if I don't know how to or need to use something, I may not need it. Key words being may not lol.

I really do like the PSD, was wondering if I move out of state can I buy it from RG in normal config? Or do I need some kind of lic/stamp or etc from ATF? I read a little while back in Swat Magazine, there was a guy who had a SBR he used for magpul training with chris costa I think his name was? He was confined to a wheel chair, former marine IIRC, and he had a SBR, was wondering if I could go that route too. Saw all these rifles on Youtube, and looks like alot of recreational range fun! Hmmmm may be worth to pay fees and etc to get certain toys to play with :)

But anyone in here own LWRC's? Or DD rifles? Abuse testing done? Anyone speak of life of rifle thus far? Hiccups I should be aware of? If the barrel wears on my LW can I get a new one from them, like I see on RG for DD? Just asking as many Q's as I can while waiting to make the purchase, so I can make the best decision possible. Weight as well, are the LWRC's heavy?

BONECUTTER
05-18-2010, 2:06 PM
same guy at turners said 6.8 is better than 556/223. Odd...cause I couldn't find ammo at local big 5, and poof, some .223 easily found for $9

6.8 has more knock down power but the ammo cost more and is harder to find.

I youtubed the psd as well other lwrc rifles, and am falling in love with them. I haven't seen anything about the new DD mid length rifle though, so not sure what to do. longevity and ease of use and maintenance is big for me, cause I never had an AR before but want something that as I said could be passed on to my kids when I am gone

The DD midlenth is new but midlenghts run smoother than carbine and based on past reviews of the DDM4 or XV you have nothing to worry about based on quality. But the LWRC will be easier to clean and maintain.

For passing the gun to kids I would lean toward the DD. I would bet the LWRC will be around in 20-50 years but in case they are not some replacement parts might not be able to be found easily. The DD uses the same parts that have been around forever.

As for upgrades, I am not to sure I really need much else but maybe a sling and a few small tid bits

Might look into weapon lights and red-dot optics. If it might be used one day to protect loved ones you want to be able to see you target (light) and aim rapidly (reddot).

Just food for thought.

I really do like the PSD, was wondering if I move out of state can I buy it from RG in normal config? Or do I need some kind of lic/stamp or etc from ATF?

SBR's (Short Barreled Rifles) are banned in all states without a tax stamp. You can buy a Pistol version here and when you move apply for the stamp. When its approved then you could attach a buttstock and make it a rifle.

But anyone in here own LWRC's? Or DD rifles? Abuse testing done? Anyone speak of life of rifle thus far? Hiccups I should be aware of? If the barrel wears on my LW can I get a new one from them, like I see on RG for DD? Just asking as many Q's as I can while waiting to make the purchase, so I can make the best decision possible. Weight as well, are the LWRC's heavy?

Im an LWRC whore so I may not be the best person to ask. I current have 3 including a M6A1 and a PSD pistol. Both are reliable throught thousands of rounds. Replacement parts are easy to get through LWRC. Though so far nothing on mine has broke. Weight difference is slightly more that the DD based on the piston and rail being heavier than the DD. Nothing a few more push-up can't fix.

CodeNamedSpartan
05-21-2010, 5:01 PM
Bone Cutter could you take a picture of the pistol next to say a sharpie or a dvd case? just for scale, if I get a PSD rifle from RG, or their RG AR Pistol, after I get a stamp I can use normal 30 round mags and use a normal stock? Nice :)

Cause I saw some PSD rifles on the LWRC forum, and I have seen some videos, the size, and use ability, combined with your advice for add ons, I think it would be perfect for the purpose of home I have set for it.

My wife said it isn't that big of a weight difference, she said since shes small it would be more noticeable, but she said when she held one compared to her normal rifle, she said she can see how it would be better for in a home, and ease of positioning but for a stronger person like me, weight is negligible. I am unsure about the DD v3 offering, but with all the praise alot of people have been singing about the LWRCi offerings, I may get a DD first, and when we move purchase the PSD and apply for the stamp.

Now I have to ask how I apply for such a stamp aha!

Markhb
05-21-2010, 6:55 PM
I have a LWRC M6A2. Never had any problems, jams, nothing but a sweet firing gun.
Anyone who uses it, comes away with a grin and "Man, that is one sweet rifle".

You will love it.

CodeNamedSpartan
05-25-2010, 4:13 PM
Yah also looking at LMT brand as well, for some reason they sent me a catalog, so was looking at that too. Alot of people are saying for stopping power a 308 rifle would be better, but the REPR is a bit high for me darn it. Plus my Mrs has her sights set on that rifle, and I don't really want to get the same thing, nor spend that much at the moment!