PDA

View Full Version : corrosive ammo through an AR15.

Exposed
05-17-2010, 2:16 PM
Have you done it? Would you do it?

odysseus
05-17-2010, 2:18 PM
Not worth it to me; quality to good-enough 5.56 is cheap.

gun toting monkeyboy
05-17-2010, 2:29 PM
Do you mean 5.45 or 7.62x39? I don't know of anybody that makes 5.56 with corrosive primers.

Exposed
05-17-2010, 2:40 PM
That's exactly what I mean. These days AR15 simply means platform. It no longer has much to do with caliber as you can pretty much shoot any caliber through the AR15 platform. I'm simply wondering if anyone has or would shoot corrosive ammo through an AR15 platform of any caliber.

gun toting monkeyboy
05-17-2010, 3:09 PM
Got it. I have thought about doing a 5.45 upper to take advantage of all that cheap surplus. But the numbers just didn't add up. It is way cheaper to just go buy a saiga and use it as a dedicated gun for the corrosive stuff. If it rots out (unlikely, as it is an AK), I am out less than the cost of a new upper for an AR. No big deal. I have a 7.62x39 AR that I woouldn't run corrosive ammo through for anything short of an emergency. That is mostly because I don't feel like dealing with soaking it and everything else I would have to do to get the salts out of all the little nooks and crannies. I have no such qualms about tossing an AK in the bathtub with hot, soapy water. Besides, I try to avoid corrosive ammo when ever possible.

Exposed
05-17-2010, 3:16 PM
Yup, this is how I feel too. I have an AR15 in 7.62x39 that I have shot just once, but love it. There is soooo much yugo mil surplus corrosive ammo out there right now that I want to pick some more up (more because I already have a couple thousands for my AKs) to put through my AR. I'm wondering if I should do that and just drown the whole thing in windex after the range, or, simply stick to slightly more expensive non corrosive ammo. Hmmmmm..... What to do what to do. :/

J_Rock
05-17-2010, 5:07 PM
Yes, I have a 5.45 upper and its perfectly fine to shoot corrosive ammo. In fact, its all I shoot.

kendog4570
05-17-2010, 5:17 PM
Shoot corrosive all you want. Just make sure and clean it after. Water is the best solvent for the corrosive stuff left in the bore. Patch it a couple times with water, dry patch it, and then proceed with regular cleaning regimen. Make sure you chase any residual water away with a good oil and check it for rust a day or so later. Also clean all the bolt/carrier internals with the same routine. Dont sweat the gas tube as they are relatively cheap. If you wanted, you could also purge the gas tube with water and then oil. The whole thing sounds like a pain, but you should be cleaning it anyway.

Mezcalfud
05-17-2010, 7:39 PM
Yes, I have a 5.45 upper and its perfectly fine to shoot corrosive ammo. In fact, its all I shoot.

same here and love it! 1 extra minute with some hot water...

anniepoks
05-17-2010, 8:57 PM
Shoot corrosive all you want. Just make sure and clean it after.

+1.
should i recommend cleanse barrel w/ WD40? i tried it before....
let me know anybody please if im effing up my gun, would you? :confused:

ps-made sure not much traces of WD, then patched, boresnaked couple times
and gun oil for finale.

J_Rock
05-17-2010, 9:02 PM
+1.

and gun oil for finale.

No, you need to use a WATER based cleaner. Windex, carbon killer or just plain hot water then clean as normal.

kendog4570
05-17-2010, 9:05 PM
+1.

and gun oil for finale.

WATER. It kills the corrosive residue left by the primer.

anniepoks
05-17-2010, 9:07 PM
No, you need to use a WATER based cleaner. Windex, carbon killer or just plain hot water then clean as normal.

thanx J_Rock, i'll do that next time....

gun toting monkeyboy
05-17-2010, 9:10 PM
Never, ever use WD40 on a gun. It is not designed for that, and leaves a nasty, gummy residue. Think varnish. There are too many other great products out there to use something that should only used in absolute emergencies.

anniepoks
05-17-2010, 9:15 PM
hmmm, thank you all - i learn everyday here.

supermario
05-17-2010, 9:20 PM
Never, ever use WD40 on a gun. It is not designed for that, and leaves a nasty, gummy residue. Think varnish. There are too many other great products out there to use something that should only used in absolute emergencies.

My Dad stored a rifle for 20yrs and all he did was spray it down with WD40 and it kept in PERFECT shape. It didnt leave a gummy residue or damage the wood at all. After seeing how well it kept the gun, i actually thought i may start using it. Where did you hear or what happen that made you to believe to never use WD40? Just curious?