PDA

View Full Version : Magaizne will not lock when loaded

winnre
05-17-2010, 2:44 PM
When I go to put an empty magazine in my S&W MP15 it inserts and lock just fine. But If I try to lock a loaded ten round magazine, it will not seat. I need to lock the bolt back to get the mag to lock in place.

Is this a bullet button feature or do I need to go to the gunsmith?

shark92651
05-17-2010, 2:52 PM
It would be an issue with the mag. Is it a 10/20 or 10/30 modified mag, or a factory 10 rounder? Some mags have very little, if no give, after loading up 10 rounds so it is hard to seat against a closed bolt. Either down-load it to only 9 rounds, or lock the bolt back first, or give it a good whack on the bottom of the mag to seat it.

winnre
05-17-2010, 2:55 PM
Factory ten round. I tried slamming it home but there is no give at all. But this is all 5 of my mags, bought at different times.

Colt-45
05-17-2010, 2:56 PM
I have the same issue but only with the loaded 10/30's , 10/20's. I also thought my rifle was somehow broken but it wasn't. When I insert regular loaded 10 round magazines they lock right in.

Try putting in 9 rounds instead of 10 see if that works.

winnre
05-17-2010, 3:04 PM
Okay I tried it with 9 rounds and it locked and was VERY tight. I went to 8 and it felt like a regular magazine insertion.

What gives? Why is this happening? This is a regular ten rounder, I had issues the the 10/30 as well. That's why I thought I could go to a factory unit and have it work.

socalblue
05-17-2010, 3:09 PM
Okay I tried it with 9 rounds and it locked and was VERY tight. I went to 8 and it felt like a regular magazine insertion.

What gives? Why is this happening? This is a regular ten rounder, I had issues the the 10/30 as well. That's why I thought I could go to a factory unit and have it work.

10 round mags have very little 'give' to prevent an 11th round from being loaded & thus becoming a hi-cap. Common with both rifle & pistol magazines.

PEBKAC
05-17-2010, 3:09 PM
I have the same issues with my factory 10 rounders. Are yours CProducts or some other mfg.?

winnre
05-17-2010, 3:14 PM
I have the same issues with my factory 10 rounders. Are yours CProducts or some other mfg.?

Ah already locked them up. I got them with the Smith and Wesson MP15 if that helps.

winnre
05-17-2010, 3:17 PM
10 round mags have very little 'give' to prevent an 11th round from being loaded & thus becoming a hi-cap. Common with both rifle & pistol magazines.

But Army mags that hold 30 rounds still lock properly and hold the max...

(I mean my army issue NOT mine)

ar15barrels
05-17-2010, 3:29 PM
When I go to put an empty magazine in my S&W MP15 it inserts and lock just fine. But If I try to lock a loaded ten round magazine, it will not seat. I need to lock the bolt back to get the mag to lock in place.

This is normal.
The solution is to lock the bolt back BEFORE you insert the magazine.

Vtec44
05-17-2010, 3:49 PM
I had the same issue when my AR was really dirty. It works better after a cleaning.

winnre
05-17-2010, 3:53 PM
I had the same issue when my AR was really dirty. It works better after a cleaning.

Brand new, not a single round fired yet.

ar15barrels
05-17-2010, 4:10 PM

I love how people can find problems with un-fired rifles.
Go shoot the damn thing.
Report back if there's ACTUALLY a problem.

winnre
05-17-2010, 4:13 PM
Go shoot the damn thing.

Well if I cannot LOCK THE MAGAZINE IN THE MAGAZINE WELL it is going to be hard to shoot the thing unless I do it single shot, ya know? I have used the M16 and M4 series since 1980 so I kinda know it works. The mag is supposed to be able to be fully loaded and lock in the rifle and always has, until now.

ar15barrels
05-17-2010, 4:18 PM
Well if I cannot LOCK THE MAGAZINE IN THE MAGAZINE WELL it is going to be hard to shoot the thing unless I do it single shot, ya know?

You already stated this:

I need to lock the bolt back to get the mag to lock in place.

So just lock the bolt back, insert the mag and viola, it's not a single shot.

Welcome to the problems of low capacity magazines.
I suggest you down-load the 10 round mags by 2 rounds just like they do with 30 round mags.

Dr Rockso
05-17-2010, 4:19 PM
But Army mags that hold 30 rounds still lock properly and hold the max...

(I mean my army issue NOT mine)

Don't stick 30 round mags in a bullet buttoned rifle....

winnre
05-17-2010, 4:29 PM
You already stated this:

So just lock the bolt back, insert the mag and viola, it's not a single shot.

Welcome to the problems of low capacity magazines.
I suggest you down-load the 10 round mags by 2 rounds just like they do with 30 round mags.

That sucks. I wanted a magazine that held ten rounds and worked! I am going to the store this evening and will let you know what they say.

Don't stick 30 round mags in a bullet buttoned rifle....

Would not dare. The one that gets 30 rounds is in the arms room. It's full auto too, paid for with your tax dollars!

SJgunguy24
05-17-2010, 4:30 PM
Go shoot the damn thing.

Geez, there you go again. You and that common sense of yours.:rolleyes: Randall, don't you know thats been banned many years ago here in California?

maxwellca21
05-17-2010, 4:31 PM
bad mag...that can only 8 rounds.

winnre
05-17-2010, 4:37 PM
bad mag...that can only 8 rounds.

All five of them????

maxwellca21
05-17-2010, 4:41 PM
you can try to cut down the spring to lower the tension...but better way is to go and return it if you can.

Vtec44
05-17-2010, 5:35 PM
Does it work with just 9 rounds?

Richie Caketown
05-17-2010, 5:38 PM
to me this is normal . Even with about 700 rounds through my AR i still have some issues inserting full mags. I usually give them a good slap or move the bolt back to get them fit. Remember your rifle is still new and the upper still sits tightly on the lower

killshot44
05-17-2010, 6:25 PM
What's the big deal? Pull the bolt back to lock, insert the full mag, release the bolt, bang away, last round goes and holds the bolt open, drop the mag and slam in the next one....

Josh3239
05-17-2010, 7:20 PM
Why not just lock your bolt back? When my rifle gets removed from the bag at the range I always lock the bolt back because it makes it safe and the rangemasters can see (espeically during ceasefires) that it is unloaded. When ready to shoot I just pop in a mag.

JayBeeJay
05-17-2010, 7:36 PM
I have the same issue with my self modded 10/30's, but that's how you want them to be so you can't fit an 11th round in the mag. I do like other people mentioned and lock my bolt back before loaded mags are inserted. Get a Magpul BAD or Phase 5 EBRv2 to make it a little easier on you if you don't already have one.

Dr Rockso
05-17-2010, 8:15 PM
I can insert a full 10-rnd Stag magazine (floorplate marked Stag, not sure who the manufacturer is) into my Stag rifle with the bolt closed, but it requires a firm slap to get it to seat properly. Nothing that excessive, though.

MissionMTMan
05-17-2010, 8:17 PM
Okay. A good 10/30 magazine will hold 10 rounds and will still lock in place. Factory 10 round magazines usually don't do this and many sellers who convert these mags don't do this. The problem they are having is with their tolerances. They are afraid of being able to load an 11th round. My magazines hold 10 rounds, lock in place and DON'T hold 11 rounds. PM me if you want this problem fixed....

mwt1980
05-17-2010, 8:27 PM
Do you have a BB wrench?

If so, back out your BB a bit. Should fix the issue.

Worked for me.

ar15barrels
05-17-2010, 9:34 PM
What's the big deal? Pull the bolt back to lock, insert the full mag, release the bolt, bang away, last round goes and holds the bolt open, drop the mag and slam in the next one....

Maybe he does not understand that the bolt needs to come back ANYWAYS in order to load the chamber?

The proper method to load the chamber is with the bolt locked back.
Otherwise, you are pulling the bolt with the charging handle and letting it shingshot forward.
This causes a whole new problem with the charging handle bounces up and down, slowing the forward motion of the bolt carrier and causing a failure to completely lock into battery.

In proper operation, the bolt should be locked back, the charging handle returned forward and latched in, then the loaded mag is inserted and finally the bolt release is depressed to chamber a round and ready the gun to fire.

I still don't see a problem with what the OP is talking about with not being able to load a full mag under a closed bolt carrier.
What benefit does that give you?

Dr Rockso
05-17-2010, 9:36 PM
I still don't see a problem with what the OP is talking about trying to load a full mag under a closed bolt carrier.

Administrative reloads. Of course most people don't practice tactical shooting with maglocked ARs...

ar15barrels
05-17-2010, 9:38 PM
Administrative reloads.

ok, I'll bite.
What's that?

haha, you mean tactical reloads...
Being limited to only 10 rounds is FAIL right from the start of that game.

Gunsrruss
05-17-2010, 9:44 PM
Maybe he does not understand that the bolt needs to come back ANYWAYS in order to load the chamber?

The proper method to load the chamber is with the bolt locked back.
Otherwise, you are pulling the bolt with the charging handle and letting it shingshot forward.
This causes a whole new problem with the charging handle bounces up and down, slowing the forward motion of the bolt carrier and causing a failure to completely lock into battery.

In proper operation, the bolt should be locked back, the charging handle returned forward and latched in, then the loaded mag is inserted and finally the bolt release is depressed to chamber a round and ready the gun to fire.

I still don't see a problem with what the OP is talking about with not being able to load a full mag under a closed bolt carrier.

Your right Randal. He's just being a hard head. We all do it when something doesn't work the way we want it too. There actually isn't a problem here

kendog4570
05-17-2010, 9:46 PM
Like the man said...Shoot the damn thing. Thats what the guy at the store is going to tell you. It will smooth up a whole lot after a few hundred rounds. If it works with GI 20's and 30's, then you are good to go. I would suspect the Kalifornik PC mags.

JayBeeJay
05-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Okay. A good 10/30 magazine will hold 10 rounds and will still lock in place. Factory 10 round magazines usually don't do this and many sellers who convert these mags don't do this. The problem they are having is with their tolerances. They are afraid of being able to load an 11th round. My magazines hold 10 rounds, lock in place and DON'T hold 11 rounds. PM me if you want this problem fixed....

I don't know about having a good 10/30 magazine, I can easily shave my blocks down a MM or so to have my mags fit with 10rds in em'. It's more of being cautious and paranoid because some po po's out here will try and hem you up for something as simple as being able to shove that 11th rd. in there.

Baxter
05-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Do you have a BB wrench?

If so, back out your BB a bit. Should fix the issue.

Worked for me.

What he said. I had the same problem, and with continued slamming the mag catch broke. Turned out to be the bb was too tight.

killshot44
05-18-2010, 1:03 AM
Baxter, I know it's your wife (?) and all, but that avatar is freaky and has to go......

MissionMTMan
05-18-2010, 8:34 AM
I don't know about having a good 10/30 magazine, I can easily shave my blocks down a MM or so to have my mags fit with 10rds in em'. It's more of being cautious and paranoid because some po po's out here will try and hem you up for something as simple as being able to shove that 11th rd. in there.

I can't force an 11th round in them even when I am acting like I am a police officer and am really trying....

mif_slim
05-18-2010, 8:48 AM

Thats the issue. your spring is still tight. Break it in and ths issue will go away. Or leave 10rnds in the mag for a few weeks...it'll help break it in a little.

winnre
05-18-2010, 9:19 AM
Well I took it to the shop and they looked at it. The magazine will lock if you slam it really hard, but I worry about something breaking.

Turns out that the military issues magazines allow 20 or 30 rounds yet still have a tiny bit of play in them. This allows the magazine to lock in place, but also may allow for an extra round to be added. The mags I have do not have any play whatsoever.

I'll ask about backing out the bullet button a little bit though, thanks!

JayBeeJay
05-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I can't force an 11th round in them even when I am acting like I am a police officer and am really trying....

That's cool...I actually have my mags like that on purpose, so I don't have the same issue as the OP. Guess I rather play it safe...being a Californian I got a little different mind state on shiet that can catch me a case.

shark92651
05-19-2010, 8:38 AM
Well I took it to the shop and they looked at it. The magazine will lock if you slam it really hard, but I worry about something breaking.

Turns out that the military issues magazines allow 20 or 30 rounds yet still have a tiny bit of play in them. This allows the magazine to lock in place, but also may allow for an extra round to be added. The mags I have do not have any play whatsoever.

I'll ask about backing out the bullet button a little bit though, thanks!

Loosening the BB will not change anything except perhaps to add to the chance it will fall out.

Sounds like your mags are working fine, but just tight. You will not break your mags so slam away. At the range your bolt is going to lock back after you empty the first mag anyway so I wouldn't sweat it.

If you wanted to add some clearance you could either snip one loop off the spring or shave a bit of the bottom of your follower to give just a little clearance. I haven't looked at this myself so not sure if it is the spring or the follower that would need the mod, or something else depending on the magazine type. Remove the floor plate, spring and follower and then compress the follower down onto the spring and floorplate to see where it is "bottoming out" - that will tell you what you need to mod. I don't recommend doing this as I think it is unnecessary and could lead to the manufacture of a high-cap if you take off too much. A mere 1mm of material can make the difference between a 10 rounder and a high-cap.

winnre
05-19-2010, 10:28 AM
I tried an old well-used mag, it has the same issue.

Henry Hill
05-19-2010, 11:02 AM
The Magazine catch is screwed on too tight.

I had this problem before

mydogsmonkey
05-19-2010, 11:06 AM
I tried an old well-used mag, it has the same issue.

i think that its quite normal for an AR to do that, my Ar did the same thing with a ten round, had to slam it in real good to load fully loaded, easier to do with 9 rounds, just shoot it

MissionMTMan
05-19-2010, 12:28 PM
That's cool...I actually have my mags like that on purpose, so I don't have the same issue as the OP. Guess I rather play it safe...being a Californian I got a little different mind state on shiet that can catch me a case.

Not like I couldn't get sued over selling a high cap mag or anything..... I can get in just as much or more trouble than you.

ar15barrels
05-19-2010, 12:57 PM
I can get in just as much or more trouble than you.

I'd like to see a DA try to claim jurisdiction on an out-of-state seller.

THT
05-19-2010, 1:57 PM
I'd like to see a DA try to claim jurisdiction on an out-of-state seller.

I wouldn't.

ar15barrels
05-19-2010, 2:08 PM
I wouldn't.

It's all a matter of viewpoint.

You see, if they are busy going after out-of-state sellers, that means they are not chasing in-state sellers. ;)

winnre
05-19-2010, 2:11 PM

You see, if they are busy going after out-of-state sellers, that means they are not chasing in-state sellers. ;)

But you are an out-of-state seller to 49 other states. You just increased your enemy by 49 times!

THT
05-19-2010, 2:32 PM

You dirty no-good sonuva....I saw what you did there :D