PDA

View Full Version : PRK legal AK. Can it be made?

wilit
03-13-2006, 6:43 PM
I'm not an AK enthusiast, so you'll have to forgive me. But I have a thought, just wanted to see what you all thought.

So from what I've read, what makes the AK difficult to make PRK compliant is the fact that building one with a non-removable magazine makes it extremely difficult to reload. Reloading basically requires field stripping the rifle. Yes?

So what if you were to create a hinged door on the bottom of a magazine? (similar to many bolt action rifles. See photo for what I'm speaking of) Wouldn't this make it so much easier to reload and still be within the limits of the law?

http://www.wilit.com/web/boltaction.jpg

JHC
03-13-2006, 6:49 PM
My 10 round mags have removable floor plates that slide off so in theory you could load from the bottom, but getting the rounds in and getting it back together with the spring pressure fighting you would be pretty tough. I am using the field strip method and it's pretty easy.

SC_00_05
03-13-2006, 6:51 PM
Why not just remove the pistol grip? Then you can keep your detachable pre ban 30 rounders and not not have to deal with any of this. It's pretty easy to reach the trigger if you have relatively large hands.

superhondaz50
03-13-2006, 8:34 PM
Why not just remove the pistol grip? Then you can keep your detachable pre ban 30 rounders and not not have to deal with any of this. It's pretty easy to reach the trigger if you have relatively large hands.
I agree, remove the grip, and make sure there are no evil features. Actually, by doing this you basically have a cheap, ugly(some may veiw as beautiful), AK mag accepting, MINI-30:D Actually you have a good idea, that may work well if you want evil features.

ADDICTEDto.223LOWERS
03-13-2006, 8:42 PM
ever try to shoot an ak without a pistol grip? not very comportable for the trigger finger :cool:

xenophobe
03-13-2006, 8:54 PM
Required reading if you're contemplating a CA AK build:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=30190
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=29705

superhondaz50
03-14-2006, 8:52 AM
I've held a no features AK with no grip, and for me it's pretty comforatable, my hands fit fine without a grip, so it's no big deal to me.

ALTSEC972
03-14-2006, 10:43 AM
So where on earth do I find a sporter type stock for the AK?

bwiese
03-14-2006, 11:38 AM

I presume that you are really referring to a thumbhole stock. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Why would you even want one? I'm betting you're misunderstanding the law, as it makes no difference.

A thumbhole stock is still a key 12276.1 'evil feature' assault weapon part. Adding one will not differentiate its AW status and allow a detachable mag to be used - unless the gas system were disabled and gun is no longer semiautomatic. (This is for off-list AKs only, don't do this for off-list ARs.) And if that's the case, you might as well keep the regular pistol grip and stock since it's not semiautomatic.

Additionally, since this is an AK design likely built with a foreign parts set (even if receiver is US made) you're gonna have to play the section 922(r) "10 or less key foreign parts" game.

superhondaz50
03-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Saiga has the stock I assume you want. What happens if you dont put in 7 USA parts? (I will use tapco g2 parts)

shopkeep
03-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Haven't we already seen at least 3 or 4 CA-Legal off-list AK-47s on this forum so far? As far as I know the following have been built:

2 Romanian off-list AK-47s (one upgraded with Tapco SAW furniture and folding stock)
1 Russian off-list AK-47 off an NDS-3

There is also someone else (grammaton76?) who is working on an AMD-65 clone.

glen avon
03-14-2006, 1:02 PM

Saiga trigger parts and buttstock sets can be had for $36 to $38 shipped, that's what I paid.

shopkeep
03-14-2006, 1:05 PM
Saiga trigger parts and buttstock sets can be had for $36 to $38 shipped, that's what I paid.

Thinkin about building up a detachable mag caliAK? Haven't seen anyone do a gripless config yet with the AK. Gripless AKs, AR-15s, and FALs don't seem to be as popular as one might expect.

I'm in the process of building up a gripless carbon fiber AR-15 for 3 gun matches myself.

Jarhead4
03-14-2006, 1:28 PM
I have seen an AK type rifle without a pistol grip in Shotgun News. The receiver is different, because the trigger group is moved back. The butt stock is similar to the M1 Garand type stock. These types of rifles were coming out to get around the Federal band. However, with the federal ban gone, I havenít seen them.

ALTSEC972
03-14-2006, 3:33 PM
I presume that you are really referring to a thumbhole stock. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Why would you even want one? I'm betting you're misunderstanding the law, as it makes no difference.

OK.....You're wrong! I know all about the foreign parts stuff, and the thumbhole stock deal, but thanks for the warning... someone else might run across this thread, and need the information you posted.... I have done my fair share of research, but have not been able to find anyone who manufactures or even sells the stocks.

Bill, I apologize if this post comes out wrong. I have gained tons of valuable information from you, and your posts since I joined this site. I have done exactly what was suggested of me when I joined..... Done searches on the MBs, other websites, and the like. I don't like to bother people about something like this, unless I know they have the info/ product. I read the FAQs, and learned as much as I could as quickly as posible, so I am not faced with potentially 10 years and $150,000 in fines for a stupid oversight.

So what I am looking for is a Saiga style stock, or a Robinson arms style, or a variation more customized to me (for that I will call Matt @ ironwood). I have found nada, zip, zilch, zero...... Maybe I am goin about this all wrong?!?! (am I that stupid??) Pics of what I am interested in are in the threads linked below.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=29323
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=29378&highlight=legal

Glen Avon, if you could enlighten me as to where you found them, I'd appreciate it.

The big reason I'm quasi stressin about this, is because I wanted figure out what receiver I'd need to fit the stocks, before I go buying an NDS3, or whatever. (the other reason I'm stressin is because I haven't seen a friggen day off in way too long, and won't until after April 17th..... and have very little free time, and seem to spend it all on this project)

Any and all help appreciated.

glen avon
03-14-2006, 6:03 PM
look for places that do saiga-to-AK conversions and buy the leftover parts from them. that's what I did.

ALTSEC972
03-14-2006, 6:07 PM
look for places that do saiga-to-AK conversions and buy the leftover parts from them. that's what I did.

I found one place, in TX..... I called them, and they basically told me to F$&K off because I live in PRK... needless to say I was stunned...

Which receivers do the saiga stocks fit on? do they fit the AKM/ NDS3?

BTW look what I found:
http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=9471

grammaton76
03-14-2006, 6:31 PM
Hmm, the one place I know of that does Saiga conversions is www.ak-103.com. They do some absolutely beautiful work though, if the one rifle of theirs I saw is a representative sample.

glen avon
03-14-2006, 6:40 PM
I found one place, in TX..... I called them, and they basically told me to F$&K off because I live in PRK... needless to say I was stunned...

try others, I was treated politely (and with pity....)

Which receivers do the saiga stocks fit on? do they fit the AKM/ NDS3?

the saiga stocks I received fit my ewbanks receiver.

BTW look what I found:
http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=9471

yes I know, beautiful, but no detachable mag fed semi SGs here in CA. :(

wilit
03-14-2006, 6:44 PM
Wow... This thread quickly went askew. Yes. I know there are several ways to make a PRK legal AK. I'm asking about my idea. Is it legal?

EBWhite
03-14-2006, 6:44 PM
They wont ship stocks to CA? whats wrong with them?

Yes, building an AK is legal just like the AR. however, you need to follow the guildlines, detach mag, no evils and fixed mag with evils...

wayoutwest
03-14-2006, 6:58 PM
Wow... This thread quickly went askew. Yes. I know there are several ways to make a PRK legal AK. I'm asking about my idea. Is it legal?

I would probably say it is legal, it would be similar to the Barrett that was CA legal. Didn't it have a mag that was hinged somehow? Kinda dropped away but wasnt really removeable.

http://www.50bmgstore.com/images/M82A1CAL.jpg

ALTSEC972
03-14-2006, 9:35 PM
yes I know, beautiful, but no detachable mag fed semi SGs here in CA. :(

Glen, if you look further down that thread, you will find what looks like a CA compliant custom sporting stock. This is the one I was referring to:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=6995

So what do you mean by that comment? SGs???

glen avon
03-15-2006, 7:41 AM
actually, I had looked at those before but forgot the website. from the URL I thought you were drooling over the AK-format saiga-12 SGs (shotguns). which are very drool-worthy, might I add....

Those wooden stocks look superior to the russian ones. the russian ones have a long wrist and PG, requiring the trigger to be too far back IMHO. one of those cheap pine stocks, painted with bedliner, would match up with the Choate forward HGs real well.