PDA

View Full Version : Bullet resistant (sort of)

gun toting monkeyboy
05-17-2010, 10:28 AM
I was poking around Ridout plastics last week, and found some decent sized scraps of G10. That is a fiberglass and resin laminate that is pretty tough. Well, since it was a whopping $2 a pound as scrap, I figured I would find out how tough it actually was. I bought a sheet that was about 8"x12"x1". It weighed just a bit over 7 pounds. Rather than taking it out to blow it up myself, which would have required a trip out to either the outdoor range an hour away, or out to BLM land (even farther), I took it across the street to American Shooting Center. I went in and set it on the counter and asked "What will this stop?" They were more than a little enthusiastic at the idea of blowing holes in something. And pretty helpful too. They had classes going on the range, but said they would be happy to blast it with whatever I wanted that night or later the next day. So I left it with them and asked that they see how it fared against .223, 7.62x39, and whatever else they felt like shooting it with.

I went back this morning to see how it had all turned out. Well, the .223 and .308 went zipping through. As you can see from the holes, it won't stop them. Looking at the debris, I would guess that both rounds were pretty well mangled, but definately NOT stopped. The 7.62x39, on the other hand, went in, and even dented the back, but did not go through. Looking at the delamination patterns, I would say that it was fired after the .223 right next to it. So the structural integrity of the block was already compromised. But it was enough to stop the round. As an afterthought, it also looks like they shot it with a .45 ACP. That barely scuffed the surface of the block, and caused no delamination. Just a little pock mark that may have knocked off one of the thin layers of material directly under the bullet's impact area. It looks like you could shoot .45's at it all day and not really do much more that cosmetic damage. I'll have to try it a bit later with a new block to see how it handles .44 mag, .357 mag, 9mm, and 7.62x25. I am thinking that they may do a bit more than the .45 did, but probably not much more.

I am attaching links to the pictures of the front and back, but I am a monkey, and can't figure out how to upload them more than that. If somebody else with more computer skills than a lowly primate can put them up, it would be greatly appreciated.

-Mb

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/gun_toting_monkeyboy/G10front.jpg

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/gun_toting_monkeyboy/G10BackA.jpg

05-17-2010, 11:26 AM
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/gun_toting_monkeyboy/G10front.jpg

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/gun_toting_monkeyboy/G10BackA.jpg

gun toting monkeyboy
05-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Thank you. :D

Oh, just for the record: All of the rounds were FMJ, with copper or brass jackets. No AP or steel jacketed ammo, per the range rules. The .223 was 55 grain PMC Bronze. My guess would be that the 7.62x39 was Winchester FMJ, as that is what they have. The .308 could have been anything, even range ammo (off-brand reloads) Probably plain-old vanilla 150 grain FMJ. There is a lot of pulverized lead in all three impact cavities. Probably some copper too, though it is hard to spot with all of the grey lead powder in there. It would have been interesting to see how a level IIIA vest would have done behind that block, but that would be $250-300 at least, and that is way more than I can afford to spend on a destruction test.

thefinger
05-17-2010, 3:20 PM
wow, cool!

poor man's sapi plate?...

CSACANNONEER
05-17-2010, 3:25 PM
If you can send me a piece about that size within the next two weeks (someone attending my AK build party could bring it), I'll take it to a FCSA match and see how it does against 50BMGs at 1000 yards.

nicoroshi
05-17-2010, 3:28 PM
Very cool test. Thanks for posting the results.
I am interested in what some Lexan could withstand by comparison.

gun toting monkeyboy
05-17-2010, 3:41 PM
If you can send me a piece about that size within the next two weeks (someone attending my AK build party could bring it), I'll take it to a FCSA match and see how it does against 50BMGs at 1000 yards.

I can guess how it will do against 50 BMG at just about any range. If you can find somebody in the San Diego area heading up to your build party, I'll go get some more if they have it.

I am interested in what some Lexan could withstand by comparison.

I would like to see how the various other plastics hold up as well. This stuff relies on it's density and rigidity to stop the bullets. The other, more "bullet proof" ones are "springier" for lack of a better term. They distribute the force over a larger area and ripple when they get hit. You can often see the waves left on the material after the impact, radiating out from the center. This stuff just delaminates some around the impact area, but it doesn't suck up the energy like the other plastics out there. Which is why the faster moving rounds were able to punch through. There is a display of laminated acrylic in the store that isn't that much thicker than this piece, and it stopped all of these rounds, and .44 mag, 9mm, and 7.62x25. It is interesting to look at.

gun toting monkeyboy
05-17-2010, 9:49 PM
So, what would you guys consider this one? Level IIIA stand alone? Not that I plan on using it that way. Or recommend it. But it might be useful in a SHTF situation.

Notblake
05-17-2010, 9:59 PM
that is pretty darned cool!