PDA

View Full Version : M2HB first shoot/range report & another first time shooter.. *VIDEO ADDED*

EBR Works
05-17-2010, 9:29 AM
I was able to get out with several friends yesterday to Angeles Range to shakedown the semi M2HB QCB that I acquired from CWA earlier this month. I was only able to prep 100 rounds for gun, but we made them last all day with all the other stuff that we had to shoot. The gun and ammo performed flawlessly. I did have a few cracked case heads and one complete separation requiring use of a broken case extractor, but that was expected from the marginal once fired M2 brass from Georgia Arms. With the front tripod leg stomped into moistened ground and the combined weight of the gun, tripod, tripod adapter and ammo (200 lbs), the gun remained in place despite having the rear tripod legs on concrete. Laying down a barrage of 645 gr (1.5 ounce!) projectiles at 600 yards on the steel plates and surrounding berm resulted in a big dust cloud that was exhilarating, to say the least! I cannot imagine how anyone on foot or in a vehicle could survive an encounter with a FA M2 in battle! A pic with a few other fun toys that we took out: :36:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/impactco/7c7bb8db.jpg

Some video that CalGunner valleyguy took on his cell phone. Too bad Angeles does not allow rapid fire, only double taps!

e8AvIeZ6UCE

We had the pleasure of having a friends daughter join us yesterday. She had never handled a firearm in her life, not even a BB gun. We took her through basic orientation on a 10/22 with Tech-Sights and transitioned her to a scoped .22, then an iron sighted M4, then a heavy barreled .223 with optic, then a .308 AR and finally a Ferret .50 and the M2HB.
She was a fantastic student and was thrilled with the experience. Here's a pic of her tapping steel at 600 yards with my .308:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/impactco/0c426ae1.jpg

I was very impressed with her progress and positive attitude over the 4 hours we spent with her. The unfortunate fact that she is confined to a wheelchair made it all the more impressive from my perspective. She can shoot with us anytime!

On another note, there was a guy there with a full auto 9mm MP5 happily blasting away 2 lanes from me. I had never seen this at Angeles during a normal shoot day. I guess that it's allowed, although I had always assumed otherwise. Someone asked the guy how he was able to legally own the weapon and he stated that he was a Postal Inspector. I definitely have the wrong job.... :82:

thrillhouse700
05-17-2010, 9:41 AM
They say women have more patience than us men when it comes to shooting. I heard that somewhere. Its nice to see you giving the girl a fun day, I'm sure it made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to give her a fun day at the range.

Beautiful guns my friend I wish I had money :). Maybe Ill see you out there someday although I usually frequent Burro.

Low-Pressure
05-17-2010, 9:44 AM
looks like you guys had a blast :)

brando
05-17-2010, 9:44 AM
The M2HB is hands down one of the best weapons ever fielded by the US Army. Thankfully they've finally gotten around to an update with auto-headspace/timing ;)

bubbapug1
05-17-2010, 9:48 AM
Where did she get that AR?? Its the exact same one I have!!!

EBR Works
05-17-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm sure it made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to give her a fun day at the range.

It definitely did. I told her that she was now required to bring at least one liberal, gun fearing friend to the range next time.

The M2HB is hands down one of the best weapons ever fielded by the US Army. Thankfully they've finally gotten around to an update with auto-headspace/timing ;)

This one has a FN QC barrel with auto headspace and I can see that it would be hugely preferable to the traditional barrel change procedure in the middle of a firefight!

Rooftop Voter
05-17-2010, 1:35 PM
SWEET GUN!!!!!
Now has Georgia Arms always had a bad ammo rep or is it just their .50BMG stuff? I've got 1k of 30 Carbine from them('07) and you are making me worry a bit here!
Interesting --- Postal Inspector SWAT TEAMS???!!! Maybe you'll see the Dept of ED out there next with their SBS 870's! sheesh!!!

Josh3239
05-17-2010, 1:47 PM
Gaaaaa, I missed another .50cal shoot and this one looked awesome. I gotta get down to another one :banghead:

jonni
05-17-2010, 1:57 PM
aww man I went to angeles on the wrong day :(

thats freakin awesome

ChrisO
05-17-2010, 2:09 PM
Why and the hell can a postal inspector have a full auto MP5? Sheeze they have cooler toys than some county SWAT teams...

DA1L0
05-17-2010, 2:14 PM
Postal Inspectors are sworn Federal Agents they can arrest without warrants and serve subpoenas and warrants and stuff.

EBR Works
05-17-2010, 2:52 PM
SWEET GUN!!!!!
Now has Georgia Arms always had a bad ammo rep or is it just their .50BMG stuff? I've got 1k of 30 Carbine from them('07) and you are making me worry a bit here!
Interesting --- Postal Inspector SWAT TEAMS???!!! Maybe you'll see the Dept of ED out there next with their SBS 870's! sheesh!!!

It's just their 1x fired M2 brass that has given some trouble.

smle-man
05-17-2010, 4:44 PM
Learning to set the heasdspace and timing on an M2 was a rite of passage for soldiers. I learned it from a CWO; it involved using a cartridge link to position the bolt just right.

EBR Works
05-17-2010, 5:04 PM
Very true and setting it wrong can ruin your day. This M2 has headspace pre-set with no adjustment since it has a FN QCB setup.

http://www.fnhusa.com/mil/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF016&gid=FNG008

I have, however, verified the headspace on the gun and it's a bit loose. I'm working out that issue with CWA.

E-120
05-17-2010, 6:03 PM
Way cool. When I first saw the picture I saw the 1919 but did not see the M-2. The a scrolled down and was amazed at the size difference between the two.

Noobert
05-17-2010, 6:05 PM
Ma Deuce makes the 1919 look tiny

EBR Works
05-17-2010, 6:14 PM
Yep, the M2 is certainly a beast. What's interesting is that since the M2 design came after the 1917/1919, you can see improvements that Browning made to his basic design. The M2 is just as easy, if not easier, to field strip. Another amazing thing is that the the size of the M2 bolt is not that much greater than the 1919. Browning was an absolute genius!

Backinblack1234
05-17-2010, 6:48 PM
Nice ma deuce. She is very nice. I wish I had the cash for nice toys.

50BMGBOB
05-17-2010, 9:21 PM
Looks great. That is still one on my wish list.

Q
05-18-2010, 1:53 AM
I was thinking about one of these the other day..:D
Congrats. The QC is the one to get indeed.

EBR Works
05-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Yep, I cannot imagine taking up to one minute in a firefight to change a barrel. The QCB setup allows you to swap it out in less than 10 seconds, which is a huge improvement. From what I have read, the recommended barrel change interval for FA guns in a battle environment was about 200 rounds. That's a lot of barrels...

evidens83
05-19-2010, 10:58 AM
What a beast! Looks like you guys had fun :thumbsup:

brando
05-19-2010, 11:43 AM
I have fond memories of being so intimidated by the Ma Deuce's bolt in Armorer School - it's a brick of steel and moving parts. Having seen a flew explode, flinging the feed tray up in the air created a different sense of fear, but downrange when you're taking fire and unable to return it effectively, hearing the QRF arriving with Ma Deuce blazing is more comforting than a hot coffee on a rain soaked day.

bomb_on_bus
05-19-2010, 1:48 PM
Man I wonder how that was transported to the range!

That thing is a beast1 and Finestein and pelosi are very unpleased with you.

But seriously how did you get that to the range 6x6, half track, m113a2:D

EBR Works
05-19-2010, 3:50 PM
Man I wonder how that was transported to the range!

That thing is a beast1 and Finestein and pelosi are very unpleased with you.

But seriously how did you get that to the range 6x6, half track, m113a2:D

I'm extremely pleased that our liberal elite legislators are annoyed!

The gun breaks down into easily transportable components. Receiver (60 lbs), barrel (25 lbs), 100 rds ammo (35 lbs), tripod adapter (35 lbs) and tripod, T&E and pintle (45 lbs). I have a mid-sized car & I was able to transport the M2, a 1919A4, a Ferret 50 and 4 other rifles and assorted support gear without anything being visible to curious LE. It just takes planning to pack it all in. You don't need a Hummer, although it would be nice...