View Full Version : Mixing solvents, M-PRO 7 and Slip 2000

05-16-2010, 11:17 PM
I was planning on using M-PRO 7 to clean all the crud out of my gun, mainly the bolt, and then lube it with some slip 2000 EWL, is this safe to do considering I read DON'T MIX SOLVENTS, everywhere?

05-16-2010, 11:23 PM
What would be unsafe about it?

05-16-2010, 11:27 PM
I've read on the forums and such that mixing solvents is bad news for your guns. Now using a solvent and cleaning my parts then wiping them dry would be fine am I right? As in after that apply slip 2000 EWL as a lube not to be used for cleaning

05-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Are you talking about mixing the 2 together in a bottle?

What would be the point in mixing a cleaner, and lubricant? Like slip 2000 is a verrryy good gun lube, by mixing other stuff in it, especially a cleaner, your more then likley making it a lesser quality lube and taking away the lubrification propertys of it.

But using 1 brand of cleaner first, then a differerent brand of lube when your done cleaning wont hurt a thing..

But im slightly confused what you mean

05-16-2010, 11:34 PM
i dont see a problem with using a solvent to clean first and then an oil to lube after cleaning.

05-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Long scary answer.......................
I think you would need to refer to the MSDS for both products to find out what if any chemical reaction could take place. Will it be harmless or polymerize violently? Then you'll need to take into consideration the metallurgy of whatever your cleaning and any residues from the ammo.

Short answer..........
I wouldn't do it.

05-17-2010, 6:05 AM
I'll just email the manufacturers thanks

05-17-2010, 6:29 AM
Ok wait. You never said you were going to mix the two together in a bottle right? So, what's the problem?

You do run dry patches through the barrel and wipe of any excess cleaning solvent from other areas as directed, right? There shouldn't be any appreciable amount of solvent left when you're done cleaning, particularly if you wait a couple of minutes after your cleaning routine. Solvents like to evaporate.

Lubrication is usually done right after cleaning, but it's a separate process. After your firearm is clean, lube as directed. Your guns shouldn't be dripping with cleaning solvent, especially copper or lead cutting solvents, before applying lubrication anyways. Some firearms like to run wet, but not wet with cleaning solvents, unless it's a one-shot CLP-type solvent/lube.

After a range session, I go through the entire cleaning regime with each firearm before moving on to the next. By the time I've got to the end of the line, the first one is usually close to bone dry. Then I go back and lubricate as needed. I've never had a problem using this routine and have never heard stories of problems using this routine.

I think the concern is internet hyperbole.

05-17-2010, 7:27 AM
i dont see a problem with using a solvent to clean first and then an oil to lube after cleaning.

I always run powder solvent through the barrel and on the breach of my handguns (Hoppes or Shooters Choice). Use a metal brush for the bore first (with solvent) and a synthetic brush for the nooks and crannies on the gun where powder residue builds up. Then just wipe dry and lube the entire firearm, including bore, wiping off excess...ALL DONE!!! Have been known to use special lubricants in the slide groves of both my 1911 and Glock. But in both cases excess lube is a NO NO!

If you are looking to make your own one step solvent and lube there are already many fine products on the market that fill that need and they are inexpensive.