PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Use My TV as a Monitor?

Sam
05-16-2010, 9:22 PM
I've got a 52 inch LCD samsung connected to a denon receiver. I want to use it as a monitor so I can play games on the TV. I've already plugged an HDMI cable from the computer into the receiver but the TV is black and the computer automatically resets resolution to a higher setter. What else should I do?
thanks.
-Sam

XYZ
05-16-2010, 9:39 PM
You need to change the input source on your Samsung from TV to PC - or something like that. Select the menu option on your remote.

Sam
05-16-2010, 9:40 PM
You need to change the input source on your Samsung from TV to PC - or something like that. Select the menu option on your remote.

Even if I'm using a receiver?

Mssr. Eleganté
05-16-2010, 9:51 PM
Have you tried running the HDMI cable directly from the computer to the Samsung? Or are you set on going through the receiver so you can get better sound from the PC games?

Eight O Clock
05-16-2010, 9:56 PM
I run the HDMI cord but then I have to change the input source on my tv. Just scroll through them and find which one it is. For some reason on my tv it ISNT the one labeled HDMI, lol.

Sam
05-16-2010, 9:57 PM
Have you tried running the HDMI cable directly from the computer to the Samsung? Or are you set on going through the receiver so you can get better sound from the PC games?

I'd really prefer to run it through the receiver so I can use my sound system. I don't see how it would be impossible to do so but I'm not tech savvy enough to really know either way.

Sam
05-16-2010, 10:00 PM
it works if I run it directly however.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-16-2010, 10:28 PM
I think that some PCs have problems outputting sound through the HDMI cable. But I don't know why you aren't at least getting the video part of the signal, unless the Denon can't accept a signal from a PC. You could run the HDMI from the PC to the TV and then run an audio cable from your PC to the Denon to get the sound through your sound system. Kind of a Bonsall way to do it, but it should work.

Sam
05-16-2010, 10:55 PM
I've gotten it to work if I run it directly to the tv, video and audio. I'd still like to get
it to run through the receiver...I'll ask my guy at best buy eventually. Thanks.

CharAznable
05-17-2010, 12:47 AM
I've gotten it to work if I run it directly to the tv, video and audio. I'd still like to get
it to run through the receiver...I'll ask my guy at best buy eventually. Thanks.

That'll be fail, because the kids at best buy can barely speak.

You need to get REAL specific here:

A) What model TV?
B) What model receiver?
C) What graphics card? (And are your drivers current?)

More importantly - why did you ask this on Calguns on not avforums?

SOCMOB
05-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Uhh, get a Commodore-64?

sfwdiy
05-17-2010, 1:31 AM

Your HDMI output on the computer that's running to the receiver probably doesn't have an audio signal. What you want to do is connect the HDMI cable from the computer's video card directly into the TV, then run a cable directly from the computer's audio output into your audio receiver. Make sure your TV is on the right input for the computer's video and the receiver is on the right input for the computer's audio.

If you have an optical audio output on the computer you should be able to get 5.1 surround sound going to your receiver.

Mine looks like this:

http://web.me.com/sfwdiy/xd/mediacenter.jpg

52" Samsung Plasma with 5.1 surround sound running off the tower in the middle of the entertainment center. Crappy photo, but the actual setup is really kick-***.

--B

JDay
05-17-2010, 3:32 AM
Your HDMI output on the computer that's running to the receiver probably doesn't have an audio signal.

Radeon HD series video cards carry audio over the HDMI cable.

From his other thread.

I've got a 52 inch LCD Samsung connected to a denon receiver. I want to use it as a monitor so I can play games on the TV. I've already plugged an HDMI cable from the computer into the receiver but the TV is black and the computer automatically resets resolution to a higher setter. What else should I do? I've got a Dell Studio 17 with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650.
thanks.
-Sam

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-3000/hd-3600/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-3600-overview.aspx

Integrated Digital Outputs – Enjoy your digital content the way you want to, with built-in HDMI that includes 5.1 surround audio for big screen entertainment and the latest in display connectivity; DisplayPort™ technology.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/652/1/

We should also note that BOTH the Radeon HD 3650 and Radeon HD 3450 grapichs cards support audio over HDMI

The problem is most likely that the HDMI versions on his equipment aren't matching up or the DRM (Digital Rights Management) is causing issues. I'd just run it directly to the TV, there should be more than one HDMI input on it anyways. There should also be a digital audio output on the HDTV that he can run to his receiver, probably both an SPDIF and an optical.

JDay
05-17-2010, 3:47 AM

No he doesn't, the video signal is the same for both.

Mute
05-17-2010, 8:13 AM
You may have to change some settings on your receiver, but that will depend on the type of receiver you have. As the others said, you might have to run the video and audio signals separately.

jmlivingston
05-17-2010, 8:20 PM
Some of the lower end Denon's won't take audio over HDMI, just video.

John

todd2968
05-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Are you running a lap top if so you have to send the signal externallly
Contol F7 maybe.

UltraLNW
05-24-2010, 4:52 PM
You need a newer setup with SPIF already incorporated into the video and sound data feeds from the computer, or you need to setup up S/PDIF on your video card if it supports it. I dunno how this is done on a laptop, though.

S/PDIF is just a way to send audio data over an HDMI cable, btw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

Rob454
05-24-2010, 9:41 PM
You need to use the video out of your receiver and hook it to the video in on one of your inputs on the tv. You should be able to use a HDMI cable as a hook up if your receiver has a HDMI output. Easiest way to do it is to use a RCA cable. this way you can get your sound to come out of the surround sound system and the TV strictly as a monitor. Should be able to do it with a HDMI but youll get sound out of the TV unless you turn the TV volume all the way down and strictly play the sound through the receiver.

JDay
05-24-2010, 11:39 PM
You need a newer setup with SPIF already incorporated into the video and sound data feeds from the computer, or you need to setup up S/PDIF on your video card if it supports it. I dunno how this is done on a laptop, though.

S/PDIF is just a way to send audio data over an HDMI cable, btw.

S/PDIF is not how you get audio over HDMI, its a completely different output.

S/PDIF is a Data Link Layer protocol and a set of Physical Layer specifications for carrying digital audio signals between devices and stereo components over either optical or electrical cable. The name stands for Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format (more commonly known as Sony Philips Digital Interface), Sony and Philips being the primary designers of S/PDIF. S/PDIF is standardized in IEC 60958 where it is known as IEC 60958 type II. S/PDIF is essentially a minor modification of the original AES/EBU standard, for consumer use, providing small differences in the protocol and requiring less-expensive hardware.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/59/Connector-high-quality-BNC-to-RCA.jpg/220px-Connector-high-quality-BNC-to-RCA.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4d/TOS_LINK_clear_cable.jpg/220px-TOS_LINK_clear_cable.jpg

doubledgarage
05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Did you double check in Control Panels -> Display Options, Advanced, etc... to make sure the port is enabled and configured?

UltraLNW
05-25-2010, 3:10 PM
Let me clarify - if you want to hook a pc up to a tv and feed audio and video through an HDMI cable, and if you have a video card/mobo combo that supports this method, you can use and S/PDIF cable to feed audio into the video card, and the video card will route the audio feed out via the same HDMI cable that is uses to feed video. Makes it easy to hook up audio and video from a pc to an HDMI port on a tv.

JimmyD
05-25-2010, 3:52 PM
sounds like you guys are jumping ahead of the OP with the sound issue. He hasn't even gotten video to work through the receiver. we don't even know if the sound issue is an issue yet. As someone mentioned earlier, you need to set which input on the receiver to forward to the TV.

JDay
05-26-2010, 1:13 AM
Let me clarify - if you want to hook a pc up to a tv and feed audio and video through an HDMI cable, and if you have a video card/mobo combo that supports this method, you can use and S/PDIF cable to feed audio into the video card, and the video card will route the audio feed out via the same HDMI cable that is uses to feed video. Makes it easy to hook up audio and video from a pc to an HDMI port on a tv.

Umm, no. If he were to run both then he would just run the HDMI cable direct to the TV and then run the optical S/PDIF straight to his stereo receiver, you don't run audio inputs into video cards.

JDay
05-26-2010, 1:15 AM
sounds like you guys are jumping ahead of the OP with the sound issue. He hasn't even gotten video to work through the receiver. we don't even know if the sound issue is an issue yet. As someone mentioned earlier, you need to set which input on the receiver to forward to the TV.

Some video cards will not output through some stereo receivers, this is a common issue. Happens when they're not both using the same HDMI specification or when one of them is using HDMI that is not within spec. When the HDMI is out of spec the DRM on the host computer will block the output. You can think the MPAA for this. DRM only hurts honest people, It has never stopped piracy and never will.

stormy_clothing
05-26-2010, 1:39 PM
HDMI inputs are ofter listed as video 1 and 2 ect as the TV default signal is normally through a cable.

You can use the HDMI in port on a receiver but it's easier to use a HDMI input on the tv intead.

Once the TV and computer are plugged in go into your conrtrol panel display settings and look for the mirror display or aux display or projector ect options.

One thing to note your tv and computer may not have the same max resolution IE 1080 vs 720 which can cause the screen to go blank, you simply need to set the seconday monitor display size, or better yet disable the primary display on your computer when connected to your tv so the computer doesnt have to drive 2 displays.

JDay
05-26-2010, 4:15 PM
One thing to note your tv and computer may not have the same max resolution IE 1080 vs 720 which can cause the screen to go blank, you simply need to set the seconday monitor display size, or better yet disable the primary display on your computer when connected to your tv so the computer doesnt have to drive 2 displays.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 both detect the max resolution over HDMI and will dynamically set it to the displays native resolution.

Mr.Poopypants
06-08-2010, 12:59 PM
A great number of higher-end video cards (by that I mean G80 and younger gen nVidia gaming gpus) ship with a cable used to feed SPDIF audio signals from a audio pins on mobo to a special port on the video card, allowing the end user to feed audio and video through a single hdmi cable.

I've got multiple experiences doing this exact operation.

Here's a basic writeup:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-to-Use-The-SPDIF-Connector-Available-on-GeForce-Video-Cards/600/2

JDay
06-08-2010, 10:11 PM
sort of double post

You could have just deleted it when you hit edit.