PDA

View Full Version : Any bird dog hunterss here, my dog had a run in with a yote today

problemchild
05-16-2010, 8:54 PM
Holy crap was I worried. I was running my dog through a new vineyard today and he rustled up a sleeping coyote. The yote jumped to his feet while my dog was at full clip running straight at him. He was about 7 feet away and it looked like the yote was going to attack my dog. My dog was still running at him as fast as he could go. The yote spun around and ran as fast as he could with my dog right on his tail. I was blowing my whistle and zapping him with the bird dog collar to get him to break pursuit. Last thing I want was a torn up GSP.

Anyone ever have that happen? What could have happened? Im thinking my dog could have got torn up real good.

What kind of first aid kit should I carry for crap like this for my dog?

ScottB
05-16-2010, 9:03 PM
Mostly single coyotes are afraid of hunting dogs. If there is a pack, the odds and their attitude can change. They need their energy and their health to eat. Wasting it on unnecessary fighting is not in their best interests. They will not defend territory, but will defend pups. A really big coyote runs maybe 35-40 pounds - that would be a really tiny shorthair.

You should carry the same first aid kit you already are carrying that is equipped for wound treatments (right?).

traptrix
05-16-2010, 9:07 PM
If you had the owners permission to be on the land ask if you can carry a gun and dispose of the coyotes.

problemchild
05-16-2010, 9:14 PM
If you had the owners permission to be on the land ask if you can carry a gun and dispose of the coyotes.

It was right next to a freeway and houses behind on the other side. I left my gun in the car.

I am sad to say I no not have a first aid kit. So again what should I have for the next time.

Bobula
05-16-2010, 9:25 PM
My little lab has torn up a few yotes. he's only 45ish lbs, and must think he's a wolf

theseacow
05-16-2010, 9:27 PM
I doubt the yote could do anything bad to your dog. i practically stepped on a sleeping one while pushing brush a while back. we were both startled. I reacted by giving it a nice kick and it sprinted off as fast as it could run.

traptrix
05-16-2010, 9:31 PM
It was right next to a freeway and houses behind on the other side. I left my gun in the car.

I am sad to say I no not have a first aid kit. So again what should I have for the next time.
I'm not an expert but the same first aid kit you have when you go hunting would probably be the place to start.
Take some mace and a knife. I live in Los Angeles and I take my kids for walks a lot. Down the street is a large apartment complex that welcomes dog owners, I will not walk past there without mace and a knife. One of the jerks who lives there asked my wife "are you scared my dog will attack your kids he's real f***in' nice". I wish I had been there. Yes we should move.

ScottB
05-16-2010, 10:09 PM
A coyote can do some damage if it has to fight. The most immediately serious thing I can think of is a damaged carotid artery from a bite to the neck - happened last year to a dog in my neighborhood and it barely made it to the emergency vet before it bled out. Most everything else you would have to worry about is more mess than anything else. Sounds like in this area you are close to your car and your vet, so I'd just be prepared stop any excessive bleeding and scoop him up and get to the vet.

Out hunting on a weekend away from medical help, you really should have a first aid kit in your vest designed to be able to stabilize and move your dog back to the truck (think about how you would carry a 60 lb dog a mile or more in rough country) and a larger kit in the truck that has enough stuff to fix up smaller injuries and stabilize more serious ones until you can get to a vet. You can find these at online gun dog supply retailers. My NAVHDA chapter just put some together for members. The vest one was $30 and the car one was $80 - and that was just what it actually cost to assemble. Radios and friends are two critical elements.

problemchild
05-17-2010, 12:14 AM
A coyote can do some damage if it has to fight. The most immediately serious thing I can think of is a damaged carotid artery from a bite to the neck - happened last year to a dog in my neighborhood and it barely made it to the emergency vet before it bled out. Most everything else you would have to worry about is more mess than anything else. Sounds like in this area you are close to your car and your vet, so I'd just be prepared stop any excessive bleeding and scoop him up and get to the vet.

Out hunting on a weekend away from medical help, you really should have a first aid kit in your vest designed to be able to stabilize and move your dog back to the truck (think about how you would carry a 60 lb dog a mile or more in rough country) and a larger kit in the truck that has enough stuff to fix up smaller injuries and stabilize more serious ones until you can get to a vet. You can find these at online gun dog supply retailers. My NAVHDA chapter just put some together for members. The vest one was $30 and the car one was $80 - and that was just what it actually cost to assemble. Radios and friends are two critical elements.

It would be nice if you could post the contents of those kits. Im not sure I could carry him that far as I have a messed up back. I might be able to do it but I would be able to walk for days after.

ScottB
05-17-2010, 8:40 AM
That's why a said having friends, radios and working out the "how you're gonna do it" ahead of time is important.

The kits have more or less the following plus some prescription stuff:

Gun Dog Field Kit Contents
1 - Woodland Camouflage Pouch - (6"x4"x2")
10 - Gauze Pads (3"X3")
1 - Gauze Bandage (2"x5 yds)
6 - Cotton Balls
5 - Cotton Swabs (3")
1 - Adhesive Tape (1"x2.5 yds)
1 - Self-Adherent Bandage (2"x5 yds)
1 - Styptic Pencil w/case
4 - Triple Antibiotic Oint. (1 gm)
4 - Hydrocortisone Cream (1 gm.)
1 - Eye wash (1 oz.)
2 - Latex Gloves
1 - Scissors
1 - Dressing Forceps
1 - Hemostatic Forceps (Surgical quality)
1 - Animal 1st Aid Guide
1 - 1 Year FREE Membership in 1-800-HELP-4-PETS Lost Pet Locator Service
Gun Dog Car Kit Contents

1 - Water resistant gate hinged case (10"x6"x6")
1 - EMT Gel (1oz. tube)
1 - Dog Rehydration Drink Mix
1 - Pen Light
1 - Locking Hemostat (Surgical quality)
1 - Scissors
1 - Thumb Forceps
1 - Digital Thermometer w/case
1 - Styptic Pencil
1 - Instant Cold Pack
2 - Non-Latex Gloves (1 pair)
1 - Skin Stapler (Sterile, Disposable - 35 count)
1 - Pill Gun
1 - 10 c.c. Oral Applicator
1 - PVP Iodine (3 oz.)
1 - Hydrogen Peroxide (4 oz.)
2 - Alcohol Wipes
2 - PVP Iodine Wipes
2 - Hydrocortisone Cream
2 - Antibiotic Ointment
4 - Sterile Gauze Pads (4"x4")
4 - Sterile Gauze Pads (3"x3")
1 - Gauze Bandage (2")
3 - Tape (1"x1 yd)
1 - Cohesive Bandage (2")
2 - Towels
1 - Eye wash (1 oz.)
1 - Non-Latex Tourniquet
6 - Cotton Balls
5 - Cotton Swabs
1 - First Aid Book, 112 pages/illustrated - "Emergency First Aid for Your Dog", by Tamara S. Shearer, DVM
1 - 1 Year FREE Membership in 1-800-HELP-4-PETS Lost Pet Locator Service

My dog is chipped and has a plate on his collar with my contact info, so I'm not sure what this service adds. The problem with trying to build a kit yourself is you have to buy much bigger quantities of everything than you need and the cost goes through the roof. Best alternative is buy a substantial kit from GDS or somewhere and add anything you think it needs.

GunGreg2107
06-10-2010, 6:30 PM
my good friend Ralph at dogsportgear.com makes some super pre assembled kits for working dogs worth a look I have the traum kit as well as teh wound kit with skin stapler i can fix about anythhing

lewdogg21
06-10-2010, 8:24 PM
Under the word ***** in the dictionary is a picture of my lab pup female.

bigboarstopper
06-10-2010, 9:28 PM
Heres a repost from a repost. This kit is designed with hog hunting in mind. A bird dog wont need the volume of medical supplies that a hog dog does but you can pick and choose

Im reposting this from an old post I did from jesseshunting.. Just curious as to what everyone has in their home vet kits? Or your portable vet kit? We all know too well how things can go bad for the dogs in the field. Dogs can be injured or killed by almost everything we hunt. Not to mention all the other things that can occur, from accidental dog fights to foxtails (the weed) up the nose. My med kit has gotten bigger and bigger over the years. I started with sutures in the old days now ive moved on to the surgical staples. My complete home kit has some of the following, Variety of siciors, hemostats, tweesors, scalpul, stapleguns (some empty some almost empty), staple remover, penlight. I have 100s of different kinds of syringes. The little ones the druggies use to the giant ones that are great for flushing wounds that get packed with dirt. I have piles of gause bandages from numerous first aid kits I have raided over the years. I still have and use sutures. My best hog dog got her ******* almost torn out one time so I used sutures instead if staples. I bet she thanked me for that one. She craps a little crooked now. I have a little bit of acepromozine left. Its worth its weight in gold. I have a bunch of benadril (Diphenhydramine). Its great to give a dog right after it gets wounded. By the time you are at home and ready to play surgeon the dogs pretty mello and grogy. I have topical and injectable lidocane for pain releif. If you flirt with a nurse she might give you some leftover lidocane or half used staplegun. I have a tube of corona and a thing of wonder dust. I always ask the vet for extra amoxicilian when I run out so I got a bunch extra. Pack of those long Q tips. Good for grabbin those burrs that get stuck in those wounds. Can of plasti dip for the dogs pads the get messed up. Buncha tubes of anti bacterial goop. Muzzle and some electrical tape for when they dont cooperate. My portable kit is easy. small bottle of benadril. Hemostat for those big bleeders. Electrical tape for holding dressings down. I used to carry a lot more on me in the field but I decided to carry less. I didnt want to close any real bad wounds until I got home so I could do a good steril cleaning before sealing em up for good. Post what you have so we can all be more complete in what is one of the most important must haves for hunting with dogs.

tpuig
06-11-2010, 2:46 AM
I typically carry a large first aid kit in the truck, and it's pretty complete. (I was an EMT, so I like to be prepared). But for the pooch I carry some gauze pads and tape, and a staple gun. If she ran across a barb wire fence and got a deep cut, staples are just easier until you get to the vet. Tweezers are great too to catch any foxtails before they do down the nose or ears. And there is a nice medicated cream, but I can't recall the name right now...

professionalcoyotehunter
06-11-2010, 11:00 AM
After someone shot my dog while we were out quail hunting years ago I now carry lots of stuff for this situation. The dog lived luckily but it was not a fun situation since it was #8 birdshot there were many pellets stuck in his hind quarters and some even went through his sack. He still picked up the rabbit he was chasing and brought it back even though he was bleeding all over.. that dog was tough as nails. He finally died of cancer years later.:( RID Dan the Man.

popndrop
06-12-2010, 12:23 AM
I hate Yotes.
My dog has a f-ing hare up his A** for them, so I am probably overly paranoid about them. He'll go full speed after them, and while i'm pretty sure he'd do ok one-on-one, its the whole Pack thing that has me worried.
I zap the snot out of him if I see him working Yote Sign instead of bird. He'll act a little differently so it's not hard to tell - and when I do, he's get the big buzz.
I generally only carry a first aid kit on my hunts locally, but the guys I hunt with in Texas have full on ambulatory kits in their bird-dog rigs. Everything from staple guns and super glue to what I think is adrenalin shots for Rattlesnake bites. They told me a story last year about a dog who went after a pack of Javelinas and got chewed up pretty bad. He said he thought the dog was dead and was about to give up on him, but decided to give him the shot to see what would happen - he said it took a longer than he thought, but it came back around - and managed to survive in the long term. He calls him Jesus...(But in Spanish, so it's not as blasphemous).

lewdogg21
06-12-2010, 9:04 AM
After someone shot my dog while we were out quail hunting years ago

That is terrible PCH. I hunt out of steel tanks (set at ground level) for ducks so this is a possibility for my dog. I need to make a kit.

ScottB
06-12-2010, 12:32 PM
That is terrible PCH. I hunt out of steel tanks (set at ground level) for ducks so this is a possibility for my dog. I need to make a kit.

I'll go back to my original suggestion for one-off kits: Its far cheaper to buy a good commercial one available at any of the major gundog online retailers that has most of what you want and add any items you feel are missing. Many vets will provide prescription pain medications, antibiotics, etc. The stuff popndrop referred to is, I believe, an injectable corticosteroid given to treat shock from a snakebite. Antivenin used to be cheap, but is now too expensive to carry. A friend carries it and said he once had to use it on someon elses dog - that's once in 30 years of hunting in snake country.

A word about injectables: If you have never given a shot before, don't wait for an emergency to try it out. You absolutely can screw it up. You need to know where the specific medicine needs to be injected and you need to know how to inject it safely.

taperxz
06-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Get a chesapeake and watch the yotes get eatin.

Abesnake
06-13-2010, 8:12 PM
One last very important suggestion, Folk. If you use a dog for hunting (and I say this because most pet owners are lazy) for heavens sake take it to a Vet for regular check ups and shots. I lost, Tramper, the Airedale in my icon, to ecoli. The Vet said ecoli is everywhere and it wasn't my fault, but I can't help feeling guilty. Maybe it would have been caught earlier and he'd be here now if I hadn't been lazy.:mad:

johnny_22
06-13-2010, 8:37 PM
I got the "Canine Camo First Aid Kit" from Cabelas. Small enough so I bring it with me on hikes. Won't take care of gun shot wounds, but will handle other cuts.

They have larger kits as well for major tears and injuries.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?cmCat=MainCatcat603205&id=cat20859

Glad it went OK. My dog is trained, but, when something runs, she chases it. All the commands just get ignored.

ChrisO
06-14-2010, 2:19 PM
Having a first aid isn't nearly as useful as knowing how to apply the items. Take a first aid class. Don't just carry around items that you don't know how to use. I doubt the yote would have been much trouble for you're dog but if you're dog followed him far he could have led him to a pack and then it's a whole different story. My buddies lab was ripped to shreds by a pack of yotes. Needles to say we spent that whole year disposing of ANY and ALL coyotes we could find. It was actually put in the stockton news paper. My buddy was on a killing spree and for a good reason that dog was his other kid and his kids sibling. In the paper it had a picture of his fence lined with coyotes. We had to have killed over 100 that year no doubt.

ScottB
06-14-2010, 3:40 PM
Good points and good work on the yotes. I understand your friend's rage completely.

johnny_22
06-14-2010, 3:57 PM
Having a first aid isn't nearly as useful as knowing how to apply the items. Take a first aid class. Don't just carry around items that you don't know how to use. I doubt the yote would have been much trouble for you're dog but if you're dog followed him far he could have led him to a pack and then it's a whole different story. My buddies lab was ripped to shreds by a pack of yotes. Needles to say we spent that whole year disposing of ANY and ALL coyotes we could find. It was actually put in the stockton news paper. My buddy was on a killing spree and for a good reason that dog was his other kid and his kids sibling. In the paper it had a picture of his fence lined with coyotes. We had to have killed over 100 that year no doubt.

Humane Society of Silicon Valley has offered Pet First Aid classes. My wife and I took the 1/2 day class one weekend. Great book was included and I learned how to give mouth to snout resuscitation.

joefreas
06-14-2010, 4:11 PM
http://www.komar.org/faq/dog-versus-coyote/

Lab takes on coyote-