View Full Version : Robert Moreno for San Joaquin Sheriff, Where does he stand on CCW permits?

05-16-2010, 6:51 PM
I was looking at his website and so far have been unable to determine where he stands on this issue, since this is perhaps the most important issue for a sheriff as far as gun rights go, I really want to find out before I vote.

05-19-2010, 7:12 PM
I'm not sure what his stance is... but its been in long tradition that there are very few CCW issued by San Joaquin Sheriff's Office (or Stockton Police). Tis a shame when the only ones not armed are the law abiding citizens (the shoot out at Dennys on March Ln today is a good case)

05-20-2010, 6:09 PM
I contacted him by email and frm what he explained he supports ccw and would aprove your ccw if you were a true law abiding citizen, if u want info go to his site and send him a email reguarding your questions.

05-20-2010, 6:19 PM
I recently emailed him:

(My email to Bob Moreno)

I am intrigued by your enthusiasm, and your "fed up" point of view. I can relate.

My vote(and hundreds, if not thousands like me) will be significantly swayed by your position on the second amendment. If elected, what will be your police on 'right to carry', ie; CCW? I know Sheriff Moore is quite strict, and does not embrace the constitution as he should. I am looking for a Sheriff that will stand up for the honest, hard working, law abiding citizens of this fine county. Criminals don't respect the law, and can be found carrying weapons on a regular basis, yet people like me are restricted from reasonable means of protection. Having worked in various facets of law enforcement, I know you know that, 'when seconds count, the police are just minutes away'. I do not say this in a derogatory manner... it's just a fact. I would rejoice in electing a sheriff that embraced a "shall issue" policy.

I look forward to your response.
Thank you,
His response

You know, I should have had that issue posted right away! I knew that question would come up but I've had so much to do and so little time. That is probably the most asked question I receive from the public. I hope to have something on my website by tonight explaining my position for everyone wondering but have not asked.

Short answer to your question: I have absolutely no problem with a law abiding citizen carrying a weapon. It's the criminals we need to worry about but can't control. As a deputy, and even now, I had the privilege and luxury to carry a concealed weapon in order to protect my family and myself. I've had to pull it out more than once off duty and, thank God, I had a gun. Now why should I, as a law enforcement officer, be one of the few allowed to carry a weapon? We all know how dangerous it is now because so many people are carrying weapons out there in order to prey on innocent victims. If someone tried to rob or hurt me or anyone else near me for that matter, I'd give him/her a surprise. You should have the same right.

Again, I don't mind law abiding citizens carrying weapons. It's the bad guys that I don't like carrying. I think sensible gun carrying law abiding citizens would be a great deterrent to crime and an asset to law enforcement.

One caveat, I'd like those requesting a permit to attend some type of class that would insure that they understood the nomenclature of their weapon, the legalities, and perhaps demonstrate an ability to shoot a gun properly. I've seen people accidentally shoot a relatives chin off while trying to stop a robbery, etc. I think those unaquainted with weapons need to spend a few hours understanding the consideration of your background when deciding to shoot, etc. By what you've written to me, I think you probably understand what I'm talking about.

I hope I've answered your question.

I hope to have something a little more coherent on my website by tonight.

Any questions or comments, don't hesitate to e-mail me.

He sounds like he's on our side, but then again, he's running for office(essentially) so I don't know if he can be trusted. I followed up with:

Currently for all counties (as far as I know) an applicant is required to qualify on the range, much like LEO are required to do. As well as approximately 6-8 hours of classroom instruction. Some cities/counties require the same of an applicant, as they do of their officers. Medical exam, psych evaluation, etc (which seems a little excessive)...

...I just want the same thing you do... retain the means to protect myself and my family when we're away from home.

I would argue that most ccw proponents, trainers, and instructors are right there with you, when you say you want to keep guns out of the hands of the bad guy.

So, to put my question bluntly

If elected, will you institute a "shall issue" policy? A simple yes or no is all I need.

Thank you,
I have yet to receive a second reply. I really don't see him giving a black and white "yes or no" answer, but it's fun to push the issue:D

05-23-2010, 6:00 AM
I have yet to receive a second reply. I really don't see him giving a black and white "yes or no" answer, but it's fun to push the issue:D

Have you recieved a second response yet?

05-23-2010, 6:12 AM
From the 2nd Amendment section of his www page:

Like I said, I do not have a problem with a responsible law abiding citizen carrying a weapon in order to protect himself and his family.

Based off of this statement, I would say that a good cause statement containing "For the protection of myself and/or my family" meets the criteria and would be approved. Sounds pretty much like shall issue to me.

Edit to add that I have sent a message to Bob Moreno inviting him to participate in this thread so that we can hear, from the candidate himself, exactly what his stance is.

Bob Moreno
05-26-2010, 6:00 PM
Hello everyone.
I was invited into this discussion by one of you and I can see that you are all concerned about my stance on CCW permits. Let me assure you that I am a huge advocate of people being able to protect their family and themselves.

If you are a responsible, law abiding citizen who has proper training in firearms, I have no problem with you having a CCW permit for personal protection. I want you to be able to protect your family, yourselves and maybe even my family and I. I would venture to guess that people who post on a forum like this tend to be perfect candidates. You understand the responsibility of carrying a weapon and you respect your weapon and all that it can do.

Now, I would not brake any laws in issuing a permit. I'm not going to give one to a child, a convicted murderer, or anyone else the law says can't have one. I also would like to reserve the right to not authorize one to my 97 year old frail grandma unless she could demonstrate that she would not be a danger to herself or someone else.

I'm also not going to pick and choose who I want to give one to like friends or supporters. I've been told that that's a problem with the current Sheriff. I want to be fair. If you deserve a CCW then you get a CCW.

What more can I say? I shall issue for personal protection as long as you can demonstrate that you won't be stupid and hurt yourself or someone else.

Don't hesitate to e-mail me back if you have any other questions. And don't forget to tell all your friends and family to vote for me! There's a new Sheriff coming to town!

Thanks for the opportunity to answer your question everybody.

05-26-2010, 9:45 PM
Welcome to the forum Sheriff Elect.

05-27-2010, 10:15 AM
He just earned my vote

05-27-2010, 3:22 PM
Nice to see bob moreno post on calguns re assures that he's getting my vote.

06-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Just earned my vote as well

06-03-2010, 10:53 AM
i am looking forward to see if you can win this thing and then i can apply for a CCW.