PDA

View Full Version : Do BCM uppers usually come pre-lubed? cause mine came "oily"

davy
05-16-2010, 6:09 PM
I ordered a BCM mid-length upper and it arrived a few days ago along with the bcg and a gun fighter charging handle.

I just opened the packing now and found the upper, not the bcg or the handle, to have "oily" or greasy spots all over the exterior. The barrel, that nut thing which threads the barrel into the upper receiver, the front sight, the barrel underneath the front sight, the upper receiver's exterior, all have greasy spots on it (look like prints, but very large ones).

I've only heard people comment how "bone dry" their upper is when they receive it, so what gives?

speedracer
05-16-2010, 6:23 PM
The upper receiver assembly should arrive WET wrapped in bubble wrap

Ruiner
05-16-2010, 6:26 PM
They come well coated with oil. Don't you just love the smell of that oil they use? Makes you want to lick the upper. :p:D

davy
05-16-2010, 6:28 PM
The upper receiver assembly should arrive WET wrapped in bubble wrap

Can I ask why? And yes, it's exactly as you said, WET wrapped in the bubble wrap.

NiteQwill
05-16-2010, 6:31 PM
Protection.

BCM ships all their uppers super wet.

davy
05-16-2010, 6:36 PM
Thanks Nite. So the inside still needs to be lubed? What do you guys wipe it off with? I don't want to damage/scratch anything with my noobness.

1911_Mitch
05-16-2010, 7:17 PM
Thanks Nite. So the inside still needs to be lubed? What do you guys wipe it off with? I don't want to damage/scratch anything with my noobness.

You wipe if off with '00' steel wool.:43:

Just kidding. Try a shop towel to wipe the exterior. Use a boresnake with a little lube on the bristles for the bore.

Oh, and have a few tissues handy for when you bump it for it may get a scratch.:o

Mono
05-16-2010, 8:08 PM
They come well coated with oil. Don't you just love the smell of that oil they use? Makes you want to lick the upper. :p:D

:rofl2: Hilarious. hahaha

nmerced
05-16-2010, 8:39 PM
Don't you just love the smell of that oil they use?

Smelly armpits? :ack2:

abutler72
05-17-2010, 8:05 AM
dang! i just thought all my uppers were excited to meet me:tt1:

ar15barrels
05-17-2010, 8:08 AM
The oil they use for protection is most likely G96.
That would not be real good oil for operation though.
You should wipe off the protection oil and use a proper weapons lube for operation.

dieselpower
05-17-2010, 8:13 AM
There is no reason to wipe anything off. Really you want to apply more on the inside if anything, wiping down the outside is ok, as Randall just said. I have heard of people seeing the residue on the inside of the upper and cleaning it off with brake cleaner...bad idea, thats a dry film lube. All you are doing is removing a top quality lube and applying a cheaper one.

Wipe down the outside, run a wet patch down the barrel, oil up the BCG and start shooting.

DDRH
05-17-2010, 8:50 AM
confirmed...my 20" BCM came wet

G60
05-17-2010, 10:54 AM
If you want to dry it just spray it down with Powder Blast.

davy
05-18-2010, 8:08 PM
Thanks guys, I wiped down the exterior and will put it together soon. Will probably take it apart and oil it afterward.

My first AR, almost there...thanks again.