PDA

View Full Version : Are cannons legal?

Alphahookups
03-13-2006, 1:09 PM
Back in the day when I was a kid(pre stupid CA laws) I remember my uncle had a little cannon. He would buy blackpowder and fuses from the gun shows and then take it out to the desert and shoot the thing off.

Can we still do this?

Thanks guys.

ohsmily
03-13-2006, 1:18 PM
yes, you can build them/buy them.

DrjonesUSA
03-13-2006, 1:20 PM

Sweeeeeeeeet.

Any restrictions on size/caliber/whatever?

A 155mm Howitzer sure would look nice in the living room....or front yard. :D

shopkeep
03-13-2006, 1:22 PM

Better get 'em while the gettin's good though. I wouldn't be surprised to see these banned at some point in the future. I have this sinking feeling that as soon as they get a Democrat in the Governor's office they're gonna go for broke!

I bet within our lifetime we'll see blackpowder firearms require a DROS and 10 day waiting period.

6172crew
03-13-2006, 1:22 PM
Not to highjack but its been awhile since we spoke of cannons and spudguns.

I thought potato guns were a no-go.

ajwells
03-13-2006, 1:24 PM
Really? Cannons are legal here? Neato. Anyone know of any site to order one off of?

blacklisted
03-13-2006, 1:27 PM
Not to highjack but its been awhile since we spoke of cannons and spudguns.

I thought potato guns were a no-go.

I believe this is only if they rely on combustion. Pneumatic guns are OK, I have one ;)

Alphahookups
03-13-2006, 3:03 PM
So are we sure they are ok to make?

Why cant you make a combustion potato gun but you can make a cannon?

blacklisted
03-13-2006, 3:29 PM
So are we sure they are ok to make?

Why cant you make a combustion potato gun but you can make a cannon?

I believe it is a federal issue, I read an ATF letter on it years ago. I'm not sure about the cannon part.

petey
03-13-2006, 3:43 PM
Blackpowder cannons are legal. Civil War reenactors use them. For those interested in them:
http://bronzecannon.net/

NeoWeird
03-13-2006, 4:14 PM
Don't they still need to be under the .60 caliber rule as to not be a destructive device?

blacklisted
03-13-2006, 4:18 PM
Don't they still need to be under the .60 caliber rule as to not be a destructive device?

Does that even apply to smoothbore?

PanzerAce
03-13-2006, 5:05 PM
I dont think smooth bore or not matters, I think the key terms are fixed cartridge.

bu-bye
03-13-2006, 5:10 PM
Just don't put a pistol grip and detach mag on it ;)

On second thought I would LOVE to see a BIG cannon with a 30rd mag and pistol grip glued onto it. Send a pic to the DOJ and ask if its legal.

glen avon
03-13-2006, 5:50 PM
I have it on good info that the DOJ has the hots for at least one cannnon.... :D

Anonymous Coward
03-13-2006, 5:57 PM
http://www.rmgo.org/bowlingball.JPG

Looks like fun :D

xenophobe
03-13-2006, 6:04 PM
We just sold a Naval Deck Cannon that was fully functional. It was over 100 years old though, and is black powder cartridge based, so it was exempt.

http://www.gunexchange.com/gunimage/profile.jpg
More pictures HERE (http://www.gunexchange.com/cannon.html)

EBWhite
03-14-2006, 2:05 AM
that navel cannon rules.

Anyways, i know someone that took copper pipe with a plastic cap that screw on the end with a hole. A pistol grip was sweated on the side so it looked like a handgun. Well, it shot pototo pellets, with the use of a firecracker. It was sweet!

50 Shooter
03-14-2006, 7:22 AM
Wonder if there's any lint in that Navel cannon.:p

Firing line ready?
http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/ds2004/bbms.jpg

Tom Riddle
03-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Several months ago I was at the Coalinga Rifle range, minding my own business, shootin dirt clods and cow paddies with my Remington .22. I noticed some guys at the very far end of the line, but I heard no firearms retorts. I paid little attention to them.

All of a sudden I hear (AND FEEL), a boom that sounded like the 10 inchers on an old USN destroyer! I was not wearing any ear protection due to the fact that I was shooting a .22 rifle and the only others there were 300 feet away. I was deaf for life for sure. I almost dropped the rifle and wet myself!

I looked down the line and they're all jumpin up and down, hooten and hollerin. I grab my .40 CZ75 and my ear muffs and walk down to where they were with with fire in my eyes. I thought the fools had set off some dynamite.

When I get down to their location, I see that they have a small cannon, complete with wooden wheels and all. Looked like a Civil war mockup but only about 14 inches long (the barrel).

They admitted to guilt and subsequently apologized for not notifying me as to what they were up to. I forgave them and they let me light the fuse for the next shot.

Anyway.....if y'all get a cannon, make your fellow shooters aware of what you're going to do.

Alphahookups
03-14-2006, 10:55 AM
will do:D :D

Tom Riddle
03-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Several months ago I was at the Coalinga Rifle range, minding my own business, shootin dirt clods and cow paddies with my Remington .22. I noticed some guys at the very far end of the line, but I heard no firearms retorts. I paid little attention to them.

All of a sudden I hear (AND FEEL), a boom that sounded like the 10 inchers on an old USN destroyer! I was not wearing any ear protection due to the fact that I was shooting a .22 rifle and the only others there were 300 feet away. I was deaf for life for sure. I almost dropped the rifle and wet myself!

I looked down the line and they're all jumpin up and down, hooten and hollerin. I grab my .40 CZ75 and my ear muffs and walk down to where they were with with fire in my eyes. I thought the fools had set off some dynamite.

When I get down to their location, I see that they have a small cannon, complete with wooden wheels and all. Looked like a Civil war mockup but only about 14 inches long (the barrel).

They admitted to guilt and subsequently apologized for not notifying me as to what they were up to. I forgave them and they let me light the fuse for the next shot.

Anyway.....if y'all get a cannon, make sure your fellow shooters aware of what you're going to do.

ohsmily
03-14-2006, 11:23 AM
This is addressed to everyone. ALWAYS WEAR EYE AND EAR PROTECTION.

you should be wearing hearing protection at the range and when shooting any firearms. The decibel level of a .22 coming out of a rifle is still high enough to cause permanent hearing loss/degradation after repeated shots...so, when you say the cannon made you deaf for life, you don't have as much to worry about b/c you probably already have some hearing loss.

WhiteSands
03-14-2006, 3:17 PM
Category: Cannons - Modern Replica GA#: 976681720
Model: Bowling Ball Mortar Seller #:
Price: $1,700.00 Seller: Wyoming Sports Distributor, In
Return Policy: 3 Days
Shipping Terms: Actual Cost
FFL Dealer

(See boxes below to contact)
Description: Bowling ball mortar uses black powder to shoot a standard 16" bowling ball. Constructed from an original US 81mm mortar. Fired by a musket percussion cap. No FFL required. Shipped in large wooden crates. $50 Flat shipping rate on this item only.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/upload/976681720-1.jpg

WhiteSands
03-14-2006, 3:19 PM
No FFL and a 3 day return policy!

I'd like one mounted in the bed of the truck.

:eek:

PanzerAce
03-14-2006, 3:43 PM
hmmm.....any chance I could get one that launches baseballs or something?

Tom Riddle
03-14-2006, 3:58 PM
This is addressed to everyone. ALWAYS WEAR EYE AND EAR PROTECTION.

you should be wearing hearing protection at the range and when shooting any firearms. The decibel level of a .22 coming out of a rifle is still high enough to cause permanent hearing loss/degradation after repeated shots...so, when you say the cannon made you deaf for life, you don't have as much to worry about b/c you probably already have some hearing loss.

Thanks for the comments and observations. BTW.........my hearing is better than your manners. Leave the scolding to my mother, thank you.

vtecteg4u
03-14-2006, 4:08 PM
You could easilly make a potato style gun with a barrel that was sized for baseballs

vtecteg4u
03-14-2006, 4:09 PM
Thanks for the comments and observations. BTW.........my hearing is better than your manners. Leave the scolding to my mother, thank you.
I dont think he was scolding. You were at a gun range and you should have had hearing and eye protection on. I would have stated the obvious as well...

Charliegone
03-14-2006, 5:10 PM
Ahhh crap guys we just opened a new can of worms...before you know it, it will be banned because "terrorists" can use it to take down chemical factories...:rolleyes:

6172crew
03-14-2006, 5:26 PM

They sell golf ball launchers at a place that used to sell FAB10s, redstar arms or somthing. Its a flashider that uses blanks to fire golf balls
:D

grammaton76
03-14-2006, 5:50 PM
Ahhh crap guys we just opened a new can of worms...before you know it, it will be banned because "terrorists" can use it to take down chemical factories...:rolleyes:

No, because we could conceivably use it to 'bowl' for spotted owls in flight.

PanzerAce
03-14-2006, 6:27 PM
They sell golf ball launchers at a place that used to sell FAB10s, redstar arms or somthing. Its a flashider that uses blanks to fire golf balls
:D

hmmm.....im trying to think of a way to get a larger combustion chamber than the diam of the barrel for a black powder launcher.....but golf balls sounds even better.

Tom Riddle
03-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Check your private messages

Alphahookups
03-15-2006, 11:02 AM
hey...I didnt get one:D

PanzerAce
03-20-2006, 8:33 PM
ok, well, got some new info on this. It seems that generally, if it is smoothbore, muzzle loading, uses black powder, and doe not have a fixed metallic cartridge, then it is okl to have with no restrictions. Can any one confirm this for Cali?

Oh, and what would the legality of making up a sabot round for these kinds of things?

PanzerAce
03-20-2006, 8:44 PM
nah, I was thinking of making one up for those little lawn bowling balls, the ones that you just get your hand all the way around. I figure I could make an old school technical or something with that in a pickup truck :D

uglygun
03-20-2006, 9:20 PM
I'd love to make a black powder cannon that looks like a piece of modern towed artillery, a 1/4 scale of a towed howitzer would be great. Even rig up some kind of hydraulic recoil absorbing mounts for it.

Make the barrel about 4 feet long and have a 2 inch diameter smooth bore. Feed it projectiles that were rifled slugs.

Could mount a Picatinny rail to the back of it so you could mount something like a reddot sight on it with an adjustable thumb wheel base kinda like the drum sight on an AR15 A2.

I'm just not interested in the civil war era reinactment stuff. But a more modern lookin mini-howitzer, that would just be cool as heck.

ohsmily
03-20-2006, 9:42 PM
Make the barrel about 4 feet long and have a 2 inch diameter smooth bore. Feed it projectiles that were rifled slugs.

what you are describing would weigh about 300 pounds. You might want to scale back a little bit. If you only make it for strength and not just a replica, then you can do it with less weight (out of steel instead of brass).

My buddy and I built 2 brass cannons with steel inserts down the bore that are 2.5 feet long with 1" and 3/4" bores (turned on a lathe from brass cylinder blanks) They weigh about 80 pounds each (cannon alone, not including the carriage). If you want to build one with a 2" bore, you will need ALOT of metal around it to be safe, and 4' long will make for a long, heavy cannon. You could lighten it up a bit by making a thinner profile, but the more metal, the safer you are, especially if putting in some pretty big loads.

7.62MM
03-20-2006, 9:56 PM
We just sold a Naval Deck Cannon that was fully functional. It was over 100 years old though, and is black powder cartridge based, so it was exempt.

http://www.gunexchange.com/gunimage/profile.jpg
More pictures HERE (http://www.gunexchange.com/cannon.html)
Now I really have to get in to that store .You guys are killing me well my at least my wallet......

PanzerAce
03-20-2006, 10:28 PM
what you are describing would weigh about 300 pounds. You might want to scale back a little bit. If you only make it for strength and not just a replica, then you can do it with less weight (out of steel instead of brass).

My buddy and I built 2 brass cannons with steel inserts down the bore that are 2.5 feet long with 1" and 3/4" bores (turned on a lathe from brass cylinder blanks) They weigh about 80 pounds each (cannon alone, not including the carriage). If you want to build one with a 2" bore, you will need ALOT of metal around it to be safe, and 4' long will make for a long, heavy cannon. You could lighten it up a bit by making a thinner profile, but the more metal, the safer you are, especially if putting in some pretty big loads.

osh, I have seen bowling ball cannons that had something like a 1" thick steel tube, and it weighed in at about 150....

On the oher hand, thats why I am going for the lawn bowling balls.

uglygun
03-21-2006, 4:02 AM

Could care less, it would be something for pulling behind a 2 1/2 ton 6x6(another want, one that is actually somewhat realistic) and scaring the hell out of tailgaters on the freeway.

Gotta make it heavy so that it requires a trailer worthy of a howitzer.

A minature M198 howitzer would be too damn cool. Why make a model of something if you aren't gonna do it right. A 4 foot barrel would be about the minimum length to make it still be pretty imposing. Smaller scale would be cool for an ornament on my front porch but something worthy of a lawn ornament and living out fantasies of being Burt Gummer.... it's gotta be BIG!

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/m198-22.jpg