Jarhead
05-16-2010, 5:15 PM
what can be done to upgrade an existing Mini 14

Barabas
05-16-2010, 5:25 PM
Buy an AR?

dark_ninja
05-16-2010, 5:28 PM
Not much,at least not much worth adding. Unless you want like a scope. I believe you can add a flash/muzzle hider but it has to be permanently wielded to be legal is using detachable magazines. I bought a Tapco Intrafuse kit for my Mini. It is a collapsible stock with pistol grip but in order to be legal I would have to add a maglock *** well. Not worth the money and pain. Had I known that before I would not have bought it. Now I'm stuck with it! IMHO,the mini looks just good as it is. I'm thinking of adding a nice scope in the future. I've seen quad rails you can put on the mini for things like,flashlight,laser,sights,etc. Whatever floats your boat. If you are going to add anything just keep in mind the AW flowchart. if you add a flash hider/muzzle break,it has to be permanently attached if using detachable magazines.

dark_ninja
05-16-2010, 5:29 PM
Buy an AR?

I like my mini 14,but I would've bought an AR instead of my mini 14. I did months after though.

Jarhead
05-16-2010, 5:39 PM
I have a dozen AR's ( 15's, 10's, 5.56, 6.8, 7.62, .50 ) but I have a safe rat I feel like making a project out of. Was think Over-molded Hogue stock but what about Barrel change out is that very difficult or require a Gunsmith, how about Sights or Compensator?

WReyth
05-16-2010, 5:43 PM
I didn't like the factory peep sight on my Ranch Rifle. That one was from quite a few years ago, I think they changed them recently. So, that was one of my first changes. The other was a Hogue stock that had a better feeling grip.

WReyth
05-16-2010, 6:31 PM
I had a muzzle brake/compensator combo, but it seemed superfluous. It didn't improve control by any appreciable amount, it just seemed to add unnecessary length and weight to the end of the barrel. There are some slings out there that give it a good tactical feel, if that's what you're after. Kind of like the style used on the M-1 carbines.

alex00
05-16-2010, 6:50 PM
I've had a Mini-14 for several years now. I've never found anything I wanted to do to it that wouldn't violate AW laws. To me, it's a fun gun to pull out of the safe, pop in a 20 rounder and burn $10 at a time. Optics would be about the only thing I would consider adding, but I like shooting the iron sights on the Mini. You may want to get some duracoat and do a paintjob that you wouldn't do on any of your other rifles.

...I believe you can add a flash/muzzle hider but it has to be permanently wielded to be legal is using detachable magazines... If you are going to add anything just keep in mind the AW flowchart. if you add a flash hider/muzzle break,it has to be permanently attached if using detachable magazines.
I think you are confusing the pistol and rifle AW laws. For a pistol to use a detachable magazine the barrel may not be threaded. Pistol muzzle devices are welded so there isn't the possibility of having exposed threads. Rifles with detachable magazines may not have flash hiders at all, regardless of whether it is permanently attached or not. For a rifle, a muzzle brake is fine with a detachable magazine.

jeffrice6
05-16-2010, 6:58 PM
All mini stuff

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

CavTrooper
05-16-2010, 6:59 PM
check out accuracy systems, they do major upgrades to minis, big money though.

chsk9
05-16-2010, 7:33 PM

I suggest you check out greatwestgunsmithing.com gundoc is able to do some nice work with quick turn around. He took my 1980's era ranch rifle and mounted a muzzle brake, awesome trigger job and bedding. Good times!

dark_ninja
05-16-2010, 8:25 PM
I've had a Mini-14 for several years now. I've never found anything I wanted to do to it that wouldn't violate AW laws. To me, it's a fun gun to pull out of the safe, pop in a 20 rounder and burn $10 at a time. Optics would be about the only thing I would consider adding, but I like shooting the iron sights on the Mini. You may want to get some duracoat and do a paintjob that you wouldn't do on any of your other rifles.

I think you are confusing the pistol and rifle AW laws. For a pistol to use a detachable magazine the barrel may not be threaded. Pistol muzzle devices are welded so there isn't the possibility of having exposed threads. Rifles with detachable magazines may not have flash hiders at all, regardless of whether it is permanently attached or not. For a rifle, a muzzle brake is fine with a detachable magazine.

I stand corrected! Muzzle break it is!

sootytom
05-16-2010, 8:52 PM
go to this forumhttp://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86 and learn how to make your mini a sub 2 moa rifle w/ iron sights my 580 was a 3-4 moa I had the trigger done by gundoc $85,bedded the stock $30,had cryopro freeze my barrel $35,added a accustrut lt $95, gas port bushing&recoil buffer $50 now it shoots sub 2" iron sights @100 yrds. I've spent less than $1000 on this gun and I shoot it better than my $1500 ar15,it's a very simple rifle to shoot,clean,less knobs and buttons than my ar15 and much easier for a lefty to run AND YOU DON'T HAVE THE MAG BUTTON CRAP on it

3GunFunShooter
05-16-2010, 9:05 PM
sootytom is right on. www.perfectunion.com is the place for all things mini.
I also have done most the mods he did and my gun will also shoot sub 2".
I also have an ASI Mini 14, ASI does great work. Expensive, but good.