PDA

View Full Version : Possibly moving to CA. Question about my DPMS mini-sass

TheDrizzle
05-16-2010, 3:51 PM
I have a DPMS mini-SASS rifle I understand the way it is configured that is considered an assault rifle under CA law due to the lower receiver being DPMS.

Can i convert this into a legal rifle by changing out the receiver with say, a stripped POF-USA lower and installing a bullet button (or however you call it) on the magazine well?
http://www.pof-usa.com/lower_receiver/415gen1a.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Josh3239
05-16-2010, 4:00 PM
Yes, the combination of that POF lower (which is not on the ban list) and any bullet button style release will take it out of AW status.

CHS
05-16-2010, 4:43 PM
You must also not bring in any hi-cap mags to the state of california. That would be felony importation of large capacity magazines. You may not lawfully use a hi-cap in a bullet-buttoned rifle anyways.

You can disassemble them, and bring the parts in, but they must stay that way inside CA, or you can use the parts to PERMANENTLY build 10rd mags from them.

Other than that, you nailed it exactly.

rogtac
05-16-2010, 4:50 PM
I have a DPMS mini-SASS rifle I understand the way it is configured that is considered an assault rifle under CA law due to the lower receiver being DPMS.

Are all DPMS lowers banned, or just the ones labeled DPMS Panther? I have a DPMS heavy barrel that is only labeled "DPMS".

CHS
05-16-2010, 5:01 PM
Are all DPMS lowers banned, or just the ones labeled DPMS Panther? I have a DPMS heavy barrel that is only labeled "DPMS".

Dpms Panther (all).

If there's no "Panther" on it, it's legal in CA. There are at least 2 or 3 lowers that I've seen that are DPMS but NOT illegal in CA.

slappomatt
05-16-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the obvious. stay the F outta this lame state!

Colt-45
05-16-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the obvious. stay the F outta this lame state!

What he said. Stay away while you still have the chance.

TheDrizzle
05-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

I'm currently in AZ (land of the free?) but CA is home.