PDA

View Full Version : California Law on Handguns in Your Car

Eight O Clock
05-16-2010, 1:09 PM
If I have my handgun in a locked case on my car, can I put it on the passenger seat next to me ? Also, can I have ammunition near the case or even inside of the case ?

Does the law say that I can only have the handgun in my car if I am transporting it to a shooting range or something ?

Midian
05-16-2010, 1:10 PM
BEHOLD

The Calguns wiki

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transporting

Cokebottle
05-16-2010, 1:17 PM
If it's in a locked case, you can put the case wherever you'd like, and you can even have loaded mags and the ammo in the case, as long as the loaded mags are not inserted into the gun.

Unloaded open-carry is legal, but not advised, and not legal within 1000ft of any k12 school.

Eight O Clock
05-16-2010, 1:24 PM
If it's in a locked case, you can put the case wherever you'd like, and you can even have loaded mags and the ammo in the case, as long as the loaded mags are not inserted into the gun.

Unloaded open-carry is legal, but not advised, and not legal within 1000ft of any k12 school.

Okay, thats what I thought. Now, for "locked" ? I have a hard plastic handgun case that has the two "slide locks". Does this qualify as locked or do I have to put a pad lock or something on it ?

Cokebottle
05-16-2010, 1:27 PM
Okay, thats what I thought. Now, for "locked" ? I have a hard plastic handgun case that has the two "slide locks". Does this qualify as locked or do I have to put a pad lock or something on it ?
It needs a combo or key lock.

KylaGWolf
05-16-2010, 4:30 PM
It needs either a key lock or a padalock or the gun must be locked within that case with either a trigger lock OR one of those stupid locks that have the long cables that I have the worst time locking and unlocking. Therefore I will stick with my either my combination or key locks.

Cokebottle
05-16-2010, 5:24 PM
It needs either a key lock or a padalock or the gun must be locked within that case with either a trigger lock OR one of those stupid locks that have the long cables that I have the worst time locking and unlocking. Therefore I will stick with my either my combination or key locks.
Trigger/cable lock with the gun in an unlocked case is not good enough.

The case itself must be secured.

Eight O Clock
05-16-2010, 6:12 PM

wait, are you saying the gun must be in a locked container AND have a trigger lock ?

SPaikmos
05-16-2010, 6:18 PM
dumb question: Can I UOC while driving? I've always wondered if it's kosher to have my sidearm holstered as I drive. For those times when I don't have a locked container :)

(my car is a hatchback and doesn't have trunk, smart ***!)

coyotek
05-16-2010, 8:10 PM
dumb question: Can I UOC while driving? I've always wondered if it's kosher to have my sidearm holstered as I drive. For those times when I don't have a locked container :)

Can you drive without finding yourself within 1000' of a school zone? I know I can't. OC'ing is a bad choice IMO.

Librarian
05-16-2010, 8:14 PM
wait, are you saying the gun must be in a locked container AND have a trigger lock ?

No.

Trigger lock is useless for transport.

ONLY locked case counts via 12026.1 and 12026.2.

Army
05-16-2010, 8:27 PM

Yes, but have a lockable case handy if you KNOW you will be in a GFSZ. I keep my case in between the seats (buckets in a Ranger) while around town, but don't bother when I hit the highway as I don't know were schools are in other towns. Most of my daily commute is outside any GFSZ.

...OC'ing is a bad choice IMO.
Since I do not have a CCW, nor can carry loaded, nor am I an LEO, UOC is the ONLY CHOICE I have to defend myself

tiki
05-16-2010, 8:58 PM
The other thing you need to worry about is the post office. It is against the law to have a firearm on post office property, and the way I read it, it doesn't matter if it is in a locked case or in your trunk, no guns on Post Office proprty.

dark_ninja
05-16-2010, 9:16 PM
Try Microvaults MV 500 model. I purchased two recently and love them! They come with a cable you can hook around the seat bracket in your car and can take them out and carry with you in a backpack or whatever. One of the buttons of one of mine stopped working so I have requested it to be serviced.

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/gunvault/microvault_standard.html

I had to wait about 3 months because they were on backorder.

I carry my XD9 w/M3X FL and 4 loaded mags and fit just fine!

manuelcardenas77
05-16-2010, 9:33 PM
Cool! Good info here like always!

Mr.RoDiN
05-17-2010, 2:45 AM
I personally bought myself a case with a key lock. I didn't mount in my vehicle, just incase it is percieved to be part of my car. I have a cable attached to the case and the bottom of my car seat. I never had the guts to actually put a gun or a loaded mag yet. After purchasing the case, I called the local LEO and sure enough they told me that would be illegal. I asked some guys at my local shooting range and they told me a loaded mag, wether locked in a container or not is a no no. I even called Parker Center police dept. in L.A and the officer I spoke to also said illegal. I know that it is not illegal to have an unloaded pistol in the vehicle with a proper lock. Now I'm scared of getting pulled over, being searched, for some reason, and getting arrested because LEO's don't know the laws. I can't afford to go to court. Is there anyway around this, or is it basically rolling the dice. Recently I even had an encounter with some crazy dude that for no apparent reason started cutting me off, breaking, following me and threatening me. I was scared and couldn't get his plates, but I'm tired of feeling like the victim.

On a side note, WHY THE HELL ISN'T ANYONE RUNNING AGAINST BACA!

rtlltj
05-17-2010, 8:52 AM
Is using one of those TSA combo locks for luggage good enough? It would be nice to use a soft case and just lock the zipper with a TSA lock.

jello2594
05-17-2010, 8:57 AM
Is using one of those TSA combo locks for luggage good enough? It would be nice to use a soft case and just lock the zipper with a TSA lock.

any padlock will do, but why would you want to get a TSA one - where thousands of flunkies all over the country have a key for it?

Falstaff
05-17-2010, 11:11 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/13yknih.jpg

Almost as good as a CCW permit!
(prepare for litigation if stopped though, most LEO's don't/won't agree that carrying a pistol with loaded mags in this vault is legal...)

tiki
05-17-2010, 11:24 AM
(prepare for litigation if stopped though, most LEO's don't/won't agree that carrying a pistol with loaded mags in this vault is legal...)

It doesn't really matter whether or not anyone agrees with you. It is decided law.

ilikeguns
05-17-2010, 12:24 PM
maybe a wheelgun will be better in this situation? Rather than loaded mags, just having loose rounds could be easier to deal with in a leo encounter?

BKinzey
05-17-2010, 12:48 PM

How are they going to know that there is a firearm in the GunVault and not a banana? Unless LEO can state a reason to think you have a firearm in the vehicle before they pull you over you don't have to consent to a search or answer what is in the case. It's the same as if they want to know what's in your trunk.

rtlltj
05-17-2010, 2:05 PM
any padlock will do, but why would you want to get a TSA one - where thousands of flunkies all over the country have a key for it?

I was just thinking of the crappiest lock I could think of.

Glock22Fan
05-17-2010, 2:36 PM
I was just thinking of the crappiest lock I could think of.

There are bad TSA locks and better ones. I sometimes use a zippered case with a better quality TSA combo lock (I have a whole bunch of these, all set to the same combo.) Don't really care if flunkies have an alt combo for it, because they are never likely to get their hands on it, and if they did, it would be easy to cut it off. The lock is to satisfy the law on secured cases, not to prevent stealing.

The only real reason I use the better quality is because the wheels click around more positively and cleanly.

dark_ninja
05-17-2010, 6:17 PM

Almost as good as a CCW permit!

Don't ever consent to a search!

How are they going to know that there is a firearm in the GunVault and not a banana? Unless LEO can state a reason to think you have a firearm in the vehicle before they pull you over you don't have to consent to a search or answer what is in the case. It's the same as if they want to know what's in your trunk.

Exactly!
BTW,here's my safe. I carry it for SD and if SHTF and I am not at home. It keep by at close by at home with my pistol loaded!

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k441/Joey_Sixx/100_0864.jpg