PDA

View Full Version : Buffer/ Buffer Spring Difference between A2 stock and 6 pos. Collapsible stock??

CoyoteHunter555
05-16-2010, 8:27 AM
Is there a difference or can I use the buffer and buffer spring from the A2 stock that comes on my rifle or do I need to buy one or both new buffer parts? Anything else I will need when swapping the 2 stocks? I have the 6 position collapsible stock and the buffer tube but that is it- The Buffer Spring is a cheap replace but my main concern is the Buffer itself

anniepoks
05-16-2010, 8:38 AM
i wouldnt.
A2 buffer and spring will make your BCG work harder if installed on a collapsible.
or worse you may have some cycle issues..... i think.

Glock21sfsd
05-16-2010, 8:55 AM
I think the buffer springf on an A2 stock is longer. SDo like the above poster said it wouldnt work all that great if it worked at all

818gtiguy
05-16-2010, 9:23 AM
Simple answer-NO
You will need a carbine buffer and a carbine spring.

CoyoteHunter555
05-16-2010, 9:25 AM
Simple answer-NO
You will need a carbine buffer and a carbine spring.
Thanks. Anyone know where do get that combo online? I am looking for nothing special at all just will work

Thanks

anniepoks
05-16-2010, 9:29 AM
hey 818gtiguy.....
noticed your 888Posts,
maybe today is a lucky day - Lotto time bro, who knows........

Davidoff
05-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Is there a difference or can I use the buffer and buffer spring from the A2 stock that comes on my rifle or do I need to buy one or both new buffer parts? Anything else I will need when swapping the 2 stocks? I have the 6 position collapsible stock and the buffer tube but that is it- The Buffer Spring is a cheap replace but my main concern is the Buffer itself

To replace an A2 stock set you will need:

1. Carbine Buffer
2. Carbine Buffer Spring
3. Carbine Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube - You have this)
4. Carbine stock
5. Castle nut
6. End plate

You didn't mention if you had parts 5 and 6, those are required as well.

Check out a lower assembly tutorial for the full process. One piece of advice: When unscrewing the A2 receiver extension, keep the buffer detent covered with your other hand - The detent and spring will fly out and can be hard to find.

CoyoteHunter555
05-16-2010, 12:15 PM
To replace an A2 stock set you will need:

1. Carbine Buffer
2. Carbine Buffer Spring
3. Carbine Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube - You have this)
4. Carbine stock
5. Castle nut
6. Selector detent spring retaining plate

You didn't mention if you had parts 5 and 6, those are required as well.

Check out a lower assembly tutorial for the full process. One piece of advice: When unscrewing the A2 receiver extension, keep the buffer detent covered with your other hand - The detent and spring will fly out and can be hard to find.
Hey thanks a lot. I was planning on using parts 5 and 6 off the A2. Are they not the same size?

Thanks fot the tip as well

CHS
05-16-2010, 1:50 PM
Hey thanks a lot. I was planning on using parts 5 and 6 off the A2. Are they not the same size?

No. They are not.

The A2 buffer is more than twice as long as the carbine buffer. Your gun will not cycle with an A2 buffer in a carbine tube.

The A2 spring is also a few inches longer than the Carbine spring.

You need the correct spring and buffer for the stock you are using. You will need to get a new carbine spring and buffer.

Since you're in Orange County, just drop by Riflegear. They'll have them in stock. Should be around $20 for the combo after tax.

CoyoteHunter555
05-16-2010, 1:54 PM
No. They are not.

The A2 buffer is more than twice as long as the carbine buffer. Your gun will not cycle with an A2 buffer in a carbine tube.

The A2 spring is also a few inches longer than the Carbine spring.

You need the correct spring and buffer for the stock you are using. You will need to get a new carbine spring and buffer.

Since you're in Orange County, just drop by Riflegear. They'll have them in stock. Should be around $20 for the combo after tax.
Hey sounds good I will give that a go this week. Will the Castle Nut and Selector detent spring retaining plate off the A2 still work?

CHS
05-16-2010, 2:26 PM
Hey sounds good I will give that a go this week. Will the Castle Nut and Selector detent spring retaining plate off the A2 still work?

The parts of an A2 stock:
- Buffer spring
- Buffer
- A1/A2 receiver extension (buffer tube)
- Stock body
- Stock spacer

The parts of a Carbine stock:
- Buffer spring
- Buffer
- Carbine receiver extension
- Castle nut
- End plate

Everything else is part of the LPK. You need the exact parts above in order to install a carbine stock on a gun that currently has an A2 stock.

The A2 stock doesn't come with a castle nut or "selector detent spring retaining plate". There is no such thing. The selector spring and detent is held in place by the pistol grip. The takedown detent and spring is held in place either by the A2 stock body, or Carbine End Plate. The buffer retainer and spring is held in place by the receiver extension, regardless of which kind.

Davidoff
05-16-2010, 3:34 PM
Thanks for the correction bdmchs. It is in fact the rear takedown pin detent spring that is retained by the end plate.

Thanks fot the tip as well

The A2 does not use a castle nut or end plate. You will need to buy these parts if they are not already on your receiver extension. Most local shops that sell ARs will have everything you need in stock.

End Plate:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Receiver%20End%20Plate-2T.jpg

Castle Nut:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Nut%20Receiver%20Extention-2T.jpg

(Both photos from BCM)

Also, a comparison between A2, Carbine and "Entry" stock assemblies from Randall: (note the very different springs and buffers)

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/stocks.jpg