PDA

View Full Version : Are Arsenal SGL21-61s legal in CA

ih8ca
05-16-2010, 6:07 AM
I just bought a arsenal sgl21-61 on gunbroker a few days ago. The seller had is listed as an saiga sgl21-61. I bought the gun and ship it to Washington where I am a resident and bring it to CA and keep it at my office. I saw on the list of banned AKs that arenal sglss are banned. My question is are sgl21-61 legal in Ca if I but a bullet button on it and if not what arsenal aks are legal in Ca? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

69Mach1
05-16-2010, 6:13 AM
Yes, plenty of Calgunners have them. The ones banned are the SLG and SLR series.

ih8ca
05-16-2010, 6:50 AM
Thanks, I tought so. I just wanted to make sure.

rojocorsa
05-16-2010, 9:58 AM
Hold on, I am a little bit confused--I think it's the letters.

SGL=OK
SLG=not OK ???

69Mach1
05-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Hold on, I am a little bit confused--I think it's the letters.

SGL=OK
SLG=not OK ???

Correct.

rojocorsa
05-16-2010, 10:32 AM
What's the difference? I mean, they're both AKs. Is one magically more evil than the other or what?

Quiet
05-16-2010, 10:37 AM
What's the difference? I mean, they're both AKs. Is one magically more evil than the other or what?

Yes.
Because, SLG is listed as an assault weapon and SGL is not.

Please do not apply logic to CA gun laws. :p

Dangerpin
05-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Indeed, that way lies madness.

gn3hz3ku1*
05-16-2010, 4:03 PM

ahah well ALL AKs are AKs and all ARs are ARs but this is CA.

look at the 1911 platform? Some are safe some are not :) then there is the whole different color/finish on other handguns issue.

Welcome to CA where the dems always forget to apply logic.

SigSoldier
05-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Whats the easiest way to get an Arsenal SGL21-61 into CA? I am interested in getting one but Atlantic Firearms won't ship them into CA because Arsenal forbids it. How would they even know where AF shipped the rifle. Very bizarre policy. Anyone know of the best way to get one without spending an arm and a leg?

SigSoldier
05-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Nevermind just found this:
http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-win/order/prodlist.exe/PSZ/?Template=ProdDetail.htm&ProductID=40012
looks like they will ship to AK.

Bigjune
05-22-2010, 9:37 PM
@sigsoldier nice find!!!!

NewFrontierArmory
05-30-2010, 4:01 PM
Thats about $10 over their suggested MSRP. Also, a way to get it to convert it yourself would be to have the dealer that is shipping it pull the pistol grip off and then when you get it you can install your own bullet button and put the grip back on.

JayBeeJay
05-30-2010, 7:16 PM
Whats the easiest way to get an Arsenal SGL21-61 into CA? I am interested in getting one but Atlantic Firearms won't ship them into CA because Arsenal forbids it. How would they even know where AF shipped the rifle. Very bizarre policy. Anyone know of the best way to get one without spending an arm and a leg?

You can go through a middleman...Quentin Laser, Henderson Defense and I believe New Frontier Armory? Or hit up Cold World Shooters they can get you an Arsenal SGL series AK.

abusalim81
05-30-2010, 11:22 PM
I saw the receiver and it just says "ARSENAL" so I know a lot of FFL shops ans customers who stay away from it because if the cops look at the rifle they wont know which exact model it is and that gives them enough to take you down town. I dont know about you but I stay away from grey areas even though you will be cleared if the case ever goes to trial... Im not willing to loose $2000 - $5000 for lawyer and court fees!

rojocorsa
07-15-2010, 9:54 PM
I looked through Cold War Shooters just now (because I might want to pick up one of these rifles come October/November/or when funds permit). CWS didn't have any.

Do you guys know of any other places that sell them here? Interestingly enough, I've actually held one at the last Cow Palace gun show in May. Because I was rushed, I forgot to look at the name of the people who were selling it.

If I could have some help on where to get an SGL21, that would be very much appreciated.

ih8ca
07-15-2010, 10:03 PM
atlanticfirearms.com

rojocorsa
07-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Found it, thanks. (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct838.aspx)

Since it is chrome lined, would I still need to worry about corrosion if I ran such ammo through it? Just curious...

I am wondering why the 7.62 version costs about $100 less though...

EDIT:

Ih8ca, what about this quote previously mentioned by the other gentleman?

Juice5610
07-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Yes they are legal I cant wait to pick mine up on the 26th

rojocorsa
07-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Yes they are legal I cant wait to pick mine up on the 26th
How did you get yours?

Did you get it at a brick and mortar place, or did you have to go through a middleman dealer and all that?

MrPlink
07-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Found it, thanks. (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct838.aspx)

Since it is chrome lined, would I still need to worry about corrosion if I ran such ammo through it? Just curious...

the barrel is chrome lined, nothing everything else, ie the gas tube.
No big deal though, I shoot corrosive through my AK all the time, just give everything a good cleaning when you are done shooting and you are good to go.

Juice5610
07-15-2010, 11:10 PM
I got mine online from a dealer outside of cali that is to remain anonymous upon their request

How did you get yours?

Did you get it at a brick and mortar place, or did you have to go through a middleman dealer and all that?

Juice5610
07-15-2010, 11:13 PM
the barrel is chrome lined, nothing everything else, ie the gas tube.
No big deal though, I shoot corrosive through my AK all the time, just give everything a good cleaning when you are done shooting and you are good to go.

I've been told to clean the AK with Windex after shooting corrosive ammo through it what say you?

rojocorsa
07-16-2010, 5:48 AM
The windex and/or flushing hot water through the affected areas works.

rojocorsa
07-16-2010, 6:11 AM
Alright, so in my bringing up questions and doing a little research last night, I found out that you have to go through a "middle man" if you buy from Atlantic or some place like that.

Does anyone know which stores already sell the rifles at their brick and mortar location?

lil' gunsim
07-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Alright, so in my bringing up questions and doing a little research last night, I found out that you have to go through a "middle man" if you buy from Atlantic or some place like that.

Does anyone know which stores already sell the rifles at their brick and mortar location?

Personalsecurityzone.com

New Frontier Armory

Henderson Defense have a few I think

SGCUSA.com also might have Arsenals in stock.

munkeeboi
07-16-2010, 12:45 PM
I saw the receiver and it just says "ARSENAL" so I know a lot of FFL shops ans customers who stay away from it because if the cops look at the rifle they wont know which exact model it is and that gives them enough to take you down town. I dont know about you but I stay away from grey areas even though you will be cleared if the case ever goes to trial... Im not willing to loose $2000 - $5000 for lawyer and court fees!

that is crazy, using this logic, most people shouldn't have CA-legal AK's or AR's since a cop might not want to read the receiver at all and just take you in.

richzmn
07-16-2010, 1:12 PM

The box has a sticker with model and serial numbers. I just carry a copy with rifle when I go to range. It's just a good habit. I also carry receipt and flowchart with every gun I own.

rojocorsa
07-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the input in this thread. Hopefully I'll get lucky and own one sometime.

I don't understand why Arsenal takes the stance they do. Every single type of "black rifle" undermines the nutbag crazy libtards.

I can't wait till I have a rifle like the one on my sig pic.

Matt@HDI
07-17-2010, 4:11 PM

Last I looked at our inventory, I believe we had a few in stock.

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Arsenal-CA-Compliant-SGL-21-3p203.htm

If you find the exact same model somewhere else cheaper (that includes all the fees for going through a middleman, etc) give me a shout and I'll see what I can do to match them.

As far as Atlantic firearms goes, we've handled transfers from them to CA residents. If they've got something you want, contact me and we'll make arrangements to act as the middleman to get your firearm transferred to you.

If we can make it legal, we'll ship it. :punk:

Atlantic Firearms
07-18-2010, 9:12 AM
FYI , the Crew @ Henderson are great to work with !! We will be glad to work wiht them & you to make your CA compliant firearm dream come true :)

rojocorsa
07-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Thank you guys.

Slug_SCM
10-07-2010, 7:58 AM
This is all very interesting to me based on the fact i had many discussion's like this with my my buddy's about a month ago about the SGL/SLG TYPO?

i mean seriously did someone writing the AW flowchart make a Typo of some sort? Last i checked arsenal never made a SLG series so isn't that an obvious Misspell? And if so wouldn't the SGL's still be illegal?

Also i noticed that Kalashnikov USA Hunter rifle/saiga is also on the Flowchart? Yet those are still everywhere, and currently being converted to normal ak configurations.

The fact is getting a 100% CA legal Arsenal/converted saiga seems awkward at the very least.

I just want some NRA lawyer or something of that equivalent giving me the Thumbs up on any of this before i go ahead with purchase.

SJgunguy24
10-07-2010, 8:03 AM

The death toll in Shri Lanka's cute puppy and kitten population born on a tuesday during a leap year while living on a snow capped moutain in August while standing on thier head has suffered greatly do the the SLG. That is why it is banned in CA.

SJgunguy24
10-07-2010, 8:05 AM
This is all very interesting to me based on the fact i had many discussion's like this with my my buddy's about a month ago about the SGL/SLG TYPO?

i mean seriously did someone writing the AW flowchart make a Typo of some sort? Last i checked arsenal never made a SLG series so isn't that an obvious Misspell? And if so wouldn't the SGL's still be illegal?

Also i noticed that Kalashnikov USA Hunter rifle/saiga is also on the Flowchart? Yet those are still everywhere, and currently being converted to normal ak configurations.

The fact is getting a 100% CA legal Arsenal/converted saiga seems awkward at the very least.

I just want some NRA lawyer or something of that equivalent giving me the Thumbs up on any of this before i go ahead with purchase.

No, the majority of Saigas you see are Russian American Armory Saiga's. That is the difference. See my above post for an explaination.

I'm not a lawyer but I'll give you the thumbs up. If you want to pay somebody 400$ for the thumbs up I'll take the cash.

The Bacon Eater
10-07-2010, 11:06 AM
New Frontier shipped direct. I ordered it and two days later it was at my ffl. Excellent experience and i will order more in the future from them. Thanks

Slug_SCM
10-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys, i think i will be ordering a SGL-21 soon.

You can never be to careful living in CA, when it comes to firearm laws.