PDA

View Full Version : Looking between SOPMOD and Magpul ACS

davy
05-16-2010, 1:27 AM
Well, I'm taking a hard look between these two.

Magpul ACS or SOPMOD?

I've heard nothing but glowing review for both. As far as I know, both also have a cheekpad built in with storage compartments.

Besides the price, I can't tell the functional difference between the two.

I'm leaning slightly toward the ACS because it's cheaper, but for those of you who have used or handled both, please feel free to weigh in.

Thanks

hoffman259
05-16-2010, 6:22 AM
I have had both. I sold the ACS and kept the sopmod.

Blacktail 8541
05-16-2010, 6:28 AM
It really is a personal choice if they both have the features that you are looking for.

Wildhawk66
05-16-2010, 6:35 AM
I looked at both and chose the ACS. I now have two of them.

Endless
05-16-2010, 7:17 AM
I have an ACS and love it but have moved on to the HK 416 stock. SOPMOD is too stock Colt for me and wouldnt buy one since you get that when you buy a Colt.

HkUSP45
05-16-2010, 7:21 AM
I sold the UBR and now have the Sopmod. I like the cheekweld on the sopmod better. Extremely comfortable.

pacrimguru
05-16-2010, 7:38 AM
i have had the sopmod, acs, and ubr. i got rid of all of the magpuls and went with all sopmods. it provides the same cheek weld as the acs and better cheek weld than the ubr but is lighter. the acs is a bit bulky imo. but the battery compartment is a pain to get to on the spomod when compared to both magpul stocks. that doesn't matter to me since i don't keep batteries in my stocks anyway. (i have spomods in stock in my shop btw, click the banner in my sig.)

Mute
05-16-2010, 8:01 AM
I've used both. For now, I see no reason to pay more for the SOPMOD.

The DRis
05-16-2010, 8:04 AM
ACS. Magpul makes great stuff and it's cheaper than the SOPMOD. Plus you don't have to fight to get to the storage

KaLiFORNIA
05-16-2010, 8:07 AM
Try VLTOR emod stock verrrrry comfortable cheek rest. Room for at least 6 cr123s and 2 aa's

fcr
05-16-2010, 8:22 AM
Personal choice, I have a few different types of stocks and like the SOPMOD. The other thing I like about it is it is tight, no wiggle. I say get the one that you really want.

ArkinDomino
05-16-2010, 9:20 AM
It should be noted that the SOPMOD is much lighter than the ACS (which was a huge selling point for me).

Trey1191
05-16-2010, 9:51 AM
+1 for looking into the Vltor Emod aswell

dieselpower
05-16-2010, 10:02 AM
as a pure pros vs cons debate the ACS wins. It has only one con which is its weight, while it has 3 pros, storage space, ease of access to that space and an adjustment lever that is tucked up out of the way preventing accidental activation. I dont consider the lock anything worth while since pressing the lever releases the lock.

All that being said using the stock and what you think works for you is what matters. Don't rely on what others say or think when building your rifle.

Jpach
05-16-2010, 10:28 AM
ACS. Magpul makes great stuff and it's cheaper than the SOPMOD. Plus you don't have to fight to get to the storage

This.

This, the price, and the overall cooler look of the ACS is the reason why I chose the ACS. I see no need for a SOPMOD when there is something easier to use for a lower price that looks cool and fresh.

C_1
05-16-2010, 10:39 AM
The ACS is a good value for the money considering its features. But you get to be the cool guy if you get a SOPMOD :)

Endless
05-16-2010, 1:08 PM
Here is the German HK E1 stock I was talking about... Its $265 shipped next day.. This is what I am running along with the battlegrip.

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy32/endlessLE/HK416N.jpg?t=1274043988

davy
05-18-2010, 8:10 PM
The main reason I'm looking to upgrade (I have the magpul MOE) is that I see magpul has integrated some kind of cheekweld pad onto the ACS.

Not that the MOE fees uncomfortable or anything, but for somebody who has used both, can you guys comment on the quality of ACS' cheekweld pad? Is it superior than MOE's? SOPMOD's?

Endless
05-18-2010, 8:19 PM
The main reason I'm looking to upgrade (I have the magpul MOE) is that I see magpul has integrated some kind of cheekweld pad onto the ACS.

Not that the MOE fees uncomfortable or anything, but for somebody who has used both, can you guys comment on the quality of ACS' cheekweld pad? Is it superior than MOE's? SOPMOD's?

I had both and the ACS feels great and very comfortable. I had no issues with either when I had those. Both are pretty cheap too so it comes down to what YOU want.

hollowpoint
05-18-2010, 8:27 PM

I had the MOE and wanted to upgrade because of the play/wiggle. I upgraded to the ACS and absolutely love it. No play it this stock what so ever. Yes, it does add some heft but the cheekweld/storage/tightness/solid build and value are the pro's I benefit from in this stock, IMO you cannot go wrong w/ the ACS.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab42/hollowpoint9mm_2010/CIMG1536.jpg

technique
05-18-2010, 8:35 PM
I "drink the magpul koolaid" (hey, they make good **** and I can afford it so I don't hate), and I still hate the ACS...

SOPMOD for shizzle!

docsmileyface
05-18-2010, 8:40 PM
Thanks to Stormfeather I got my SOPMOD stock for free - my favorite M4 stock of all time - light, comfortable cheek weld, sexy curves, it has everything. I like my ACS alright, but I had my SOPMOD with me from Taji to Turkey and its got a lot more history with me...

esskay
05-18-2010, 9:36 PM
Folks have already posted some good pros & cons of each stock. Not too much to add, just a couple more items to note:

* QD sockets: SOPMOD has them on both sides of the stock, so you can clip in on either side - nice to have this flexibility. ACS, you must decide which side to install the QD socket - bummer.

* Bipod/bench shooting: I find the SOPMOD shape a little more conducive for my support hand on the stock when bipod/bench shooting. Also, with the lock it is secure, on one or two occasions with the SOPMOD, I accidentally pushed up on the lever when adjusting my position.

* Transport: On occasion, it has been convenient to totally remove the SOPMOD from my rifle in order to fit into a particular carrying case. Very easy to do. The ACS is a pain to remove.

Should add that to me the cheek weld feels very similar between the two (and much preferable to the CTR or even UBR).