PDA

View Full Version : US AK furniture

welchy
05-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Anybody seen this yet? American made stock sets for AK's.

http://www.timbersmithusa.com/

Price isn't to bad. Another option for 922r compliance.:cool:

69Mach1
05-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Yeah. An alternative to unfinished, do it yourself Ironwood stocks. Not there's anything wrong with Ironwood.

welchy
05-16-2010, 7:18 PM
Ironwood is twice the price.

E-120
05-16-2010, 9:50 PM
Any ruling on how much work does it take to modify a foreign made stock to make it count as US made?

nicoroshi
05-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Ironwood is twice the price.
I beg to differ.

Timber smith (http://www.timbersmithusa.com/)

Ironwood Designs (http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDsite/IWD4pcstamp.html)

Where is the "twice the price" ????
Might help to actually look at the websites before posting.

Matt at Ironwood also cuts all his pieces on a CNC machine with various options like:
Different wood types (Maple, Walnut, Birch,etc)
Lighting cuts
Correct butt stock cuts for cleaning kit, and trap door (looks like Timber smith does not :( ).
Options for correct shaped wood for different countries of manufacture.
Options for only buying certain pieces (just the fore grip, just the pistol grip,etc).

Agreed it's another option for 922(r) compliant wood furniture but personally I'll stick with Ironwood.

darkest2000
05-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Those look like really nice stock sets, almost too nice for an AK.

Here's what really bugs me though, why is it that U.S. made wood stocks always look "off" compared to the original? Is it really that hard to copy the dimensions as is?

SVT-40
05-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Any ruling on how much work does it take to modify a foreign made stock to make it count as US made?

Foreign made is foreign made. You can't change it.

All you would end up with is a modified foreign made stock no matter how much you "modified" it.

darkest2000
05-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Foreign made is foreign made. You can't change it.

All you would end up with is a modified foreign made stock no matter how much you "modified" it.

All the material has to come from somewhere, and I'll bet majority of the raw supplies are sourced from outside of U.S.

What if I imported a bunch of semi finished wood blanks then did the final machining in country? What's keeping someone from saying I merely "modified" it?

How is it different from modifying some existing "woodstock" that I imported from Eastern Europe and made some changes (final manufacturing process) before I sold it as U.S. made.

I'm not a lawyer but I'm just curious because there has to be some sort of definition that defines what is considered U.S. made, maybe a percentage scale (i.e.50% of the manufacturing process done within the U.S., or final assembly completed in U.S., etc).

Without that, how can anyone determine whether my product is foreign made or not, when I did in fact worked on them at one point in the U.S. before being sold to consumers?

E-120
05-17-2010, 5:54 PM
This is exactly what I wonder. I have completely stripped down, sanded, restained, clear coated, and painted hardware on many stocks. My product is one of a kind and produced in the USA. After a certain number of hours of labor this should be considered American made.
Its kind of a BS rule to begin with the 922, as homebuilt rifles are final assembled in the US. My "American car" is full of Foreign made parts and accesorries.

welchy
05-17-2010, 7:51 PM
I beg to differ.

Where is the "twice the price" ????
Might help to actually look at the websites before posting.

Memory must be going. I was thinking of BattlerifleG3's custom furniture. Thanks for the correction.

bigthaiboy
05-17-2010, 8:28 PM
Anybody seen this yet? American made stock sets for AK's.

http://www.timbersmithusa.com/

Price isn't to bad. Another option for 922r compliance.:cool:

I am strangely drawn to the black laminate stock set, even though I know it wouldn't look right on an AK. :devil2:

tlillard23
06-09-2010, 3:47 PM
No way in heck is any stock set just going to fit your AK. I have never been able to just plug-n-play with any AK set.
You better be really really careful fitting an already finished stock set. You will have screwdriver and file marks all over the place, and/or it will be loose fitting.

go with Ironwood

9mmepiphany
06-09-2010, 5:18 PM
maybe my experience is isolated, but i haven't had the best luck with stuff from TAPCO in the past

tlillard23
06-10-2010, 1:54 PM
maybe my experience is isolated, but i haven't had the best luck with stuff from TAPCO in the past

nope, that the way it is.
every stock for every gun will need some fitting. Especially an AK that has "no" quality control.

TURBOELKY
06-10-2010, 7:21 PM
I am strangely drawn to the black laminate stock set, even though I know it wouldn't look right on an AK. :devil2:

X2, but I like think it looks pretty good!:cool2: