PDA

View Full Version : Rifle PPT question

Rooftop Voter
05-15-2010, 10:35 PM
I am going to Turners Outdoorsman in the city of Orange tomorrow to buy a Yugo SKS from a fellow CG'er(PPT) and I wanted to know if i need to bring a triggerlock with me or do I simply sign the "Safe Affidavit" and be done with it??? I had to buy one($7-8) to do a pistol PPT at Turners recently... :rolleyes:

Veggie
05-15-2010, 10:36 PM
I signed a safe affidavit. You need to know the model number and stuff.

Rooftop Voter
05-15-2010, 10:46 PM
oh ok good! I know that info... & I am glad I dont have to add ANOTHER *&^%$#@&^%$#@!~ gun lock to my growing collection!!!!!

reidnez
05-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Safe affidavit is fine for longarms.

For future handgun sales, all you need to do is bring a copy of the receipt that shows you bought a lock. It may have to have been within some time frame, I don't recall that part--someone can chime in. Some guys buy a lock at Wal-Mart, copy the receipt, and return the lock. The dealer has to attach a copy of the receipt to the DROS.

djleisure
05-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Safe affidavit is fine for longarms.

For future handgun sales, all you need to do is bring a copy of the receipt that shows you bought a lock. It may have to have been within some time frame, I don't recall that part--someone can chime in. Some guys buy a lock at Wal-Mart, copy the receipt, and return the lock. The dealer has to attach a copy of the receipt to the DROS.
30 days!

darkest2000
05-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Or just make sure your handgun is accompanied with a CA approved lock at the time of transfer. As a seller I always provide a CA approved lock with the gun if I have a spare, saves the buyer the hassle of having to buy one.

A lot of people are confused or are told otherwise about this but:

The handgun lock law is FEDERAL, and the law doesn't require if it's within 30 days old or if you got a receipt or if it's CA approved. As long as you have ANY lock to go with the gun that'll satisfy this FEDERAL requirement. Now for CA the state requires that a lock must be purchased within 30 days from the time of PPT and be CA approved, OR alternatively you can sign a safe affidavit. While the affidavit is good for both long guns and handguns under CA law, it is NOT recognized by the ATF. This is why the affidavit won't work for handguns.

In theory you can meet both the State and Federal requirement by signing the affidavit AND have a lock. But no gunshop I've seen has gone out of their way to explain this to their customers, which is unfortunate but expected (no one is going to spend 10 minutes explaining this just to AVOID a potential sale of a gun lock).

I would avoid Turners for PPTs (if you're a buyer)since they'll make up all kinds of sorry excuses and lies JUST to sell you a lock. Through out the years I've seen Turners do one of the following to me or someone else:

1. Not accept a receipt for a gun lock that was purchased within 30 days because it was "attached to another PPT". BS!

2. Not accept a gun lock (CA approved) that the seller provided with the handgun during a PPT because it has no receipt. But if they sell you a new gun that does come with a lock magically they forget all about that "requirement". BS!!!

3. Force you to lock your gun with the new lock that you've just purchased, meaning you have to open the package (destroying it in the process) and make it unreturnable. BS!!!

Do your homework and you can avoid the extra hassle. Yeah it's only a few bucks but it does add up and I don't need 40 goddamn gunlocks when I have a freaking safe.

djleisure
05-16-2010, 12:19 AM
^^^^That only works some places. Ammo Bros does not allow it either... (ask me how I know!)

darkest2000
05-16-2010, 12:35 AM
^^^^That only works some places. Ammo Bros does not allow it either... (ask me how I know!)

Yeah and that really ticks me off to hear dealers that takes advantage of fellow gun owners like that.

Rooftop Voter
05-16-2010, 12:40 AM
and another question --- are Yugo M59 (NOT M59/66) sks's C&R/"cash & carry" eligible? Or were they made in the 70-90's?
Is there a way to determine when they made?

darkest2000
05-16-2010, 1:07 AM
and another question --- are Yugo M59 (NOT M59/66) sks's C&R/"cash & carry" eligible? Or were they made in the 70-90's?
Is there a way to determine when they made?

I believe the Yugo M59s were made between 1959~66 before the introduction of the 59/66 models so that leaves a 6 year window open, and since it's not possible to determin the year of mfg based on s/n, Yugo 59s are not considered C&R (by CA's definition) so I would not cash and carry it at least till the end of year 2016.

limitdown
05-16-2010, 6:03 AM
Go to Riflegear in Costa Mesa and forget about potential troubles at Turners.
Turners sells black rifles but refuses to PPT them....something is seriously wrong with that...

darkest2000
05-17-2010, 3:29 AM
Go to Riflegear in Costa Mesa and forget about potential troubles at Turners.
Turners sells black rifles but refuses to PPT them....something is seriously wrong with that...

Their employees are probably so clueless they are not able to determine the legality of all the OLLs that comes into their stores except for the ones that they carry...