PDA

View Full Version : Lovell Mixon gun

dwtt
05-15-2010, 10:34 PM
I saw in the news that Obama spoke about the 4 Oakland cops killed by a convicted felon Lovell Mixon.
http://www.ktvu.com/video/23568631/index.html

I remember not hearing anything about how this felon with a warrant was able to get a handgun and a SKS. Anyone know if they ever traced the guns and arrested the people who gave this felon the guns used to kill the cops?
I get the feeling the people who gave or sold the guns to Mixon were never investigated, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were relatives of Mixon. The same ones who said he was such a nice guy.

gunn
05-16-2010, 7:20 AM
I agree, this surprised me as well although I do remember something about her sister getting popped for (unrelated) drug charges.
-g

bwiese
05-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Ongoing CGF litigation with Oakland is attempting to find out the configuration of the SKS and whether or not it was an AW.

Oakland keeps saying they can't disclose that because it'd harm the investigation, which is BS (the AW configuration could easily - likely? - have been done by Mixon, and anyway the configuration would not have affected the legality of the acquisition path he got it).

anthonyca
05-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Ongoing CGF litigation with Oakland is attempting to find out the configuration of the SKS and whether or not it was an AW.

Oakland keeps saying they can't disclose that because it'd harm the investigation, which is BS (the AW configuration could easily - likely? - have been done by Mixon, and anyway the configuration would not have affected the legality of the acquisition path he got it).

Police departments break the law often when it comes to public records requests. Go CGF, make them obey the law.

dwtt
05-16-2010, 4:25 PM
So, the public doesn't know if the person or persons who provided the guns to Lovell Mixon were arrested for giving or selling guns to a convicted felon with a no-bail warrant. Great police work. I can't help thinking if they start enforcing the laws, criminals would be thrown behind bars and the cries for more gun restriction would hold no water. :rolleyes:

Wild Squid
05-16-2010, 7:44 PM
That is why criminals always sand off the serial #'s of the guns they carry or use. There's just no way to trace them. And then they are easily sold or passed onto other criminals who use them for more crimes, and on and on. I'm not sure what the punishment is for being caught with a gun with missing serial #'s, but it's obviously not enough to keep bad guys from carrying them. If they were to say it's a instant 20year term in prison without the possibility of parole, well that may change some criminals minds. But in this case with Lovelle Mixon, at least he got killed and didn't get a chance to live out his days in prison at our expense. I'm proud of the cops that died in the line of duty going after him. They served their community well and paid the ultimate price for it.

gunn
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
That is why criminals always sand off the serial #'s of the guns they carry or use. There's just no way to trace them. And then they are easily sold or passed onto other criminals who use them for more crimes, and on and on. I'm not sure what the punishment is for being caught with a gun with missing serial #'s, but it's obviously not enough to keep bad guys from carrying them. If they were to say it's a instant 20year term in prison without the possibility of parole, well that may change some criminals minds. But in this case with Lovelle Mixon, at least he got killed and didn't get a chance to live out his days in prison at our expense. I'm proud of the cops that died in the line of duty going after him. They served their community well and paid the ultimate price for it.

I remember watching some documentary that showed that the whole "filing off business" is really just a false sense of security for the criminals.

Apprently, there are a bunch of ways to retrieve the numbers so I'm not sure a thug would even bother.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?165896-Can-a-ground-off-serial-number-be-recovered

-g

stix213
05-24-2010, 5:10 PM

I'm really curious what part of the investigation would be harmed when the guy who used the guns is already dead.

Kharn
05-24-2010, 5:59 PM
Pretty much the only way to be sure no one will recover a serial number is to remove all of the material behind the serial number, until you hit an empty space. Almost anything else can be recovered.

BigDogatPlay
05-24-2010, 6:26 PM
That is why criminals always sand off the serial #'s of the guns they carry or use. There's just no way to trace them.

Application of acid will raise many otherwise obliterated serial numbers. There are other methods as well.

Then there is also criminal stupidity to take into account. I saw one S&W revolver where the serial number had been thoroughly obliterated off the bottom of the grip frame. Unfortunately the actor failed to notice the one stamped inside the frame.

:)

nick
05-24-2010, 7:39 PM

And he's already dead, so that concludes the case against him :)

unless, of course, they're really investigating where he got the gun from. Are they?

Sunwolf
05-24-2010, 8:17 PM
Sounds like they really don`t want anyone to know about the particulars of the weapon involved.I wonder why?

tyrist
05-24-2010, 8:26 PM
The Oakland PD investigation they published about the incident stated it was an SKS With a high capacity magazine. Semi auto rifle with magazine capacity over 10 rounds is an AW.

paul0660
05-24-2010, 8:30 PM
I'm really curious what part of the investigation would be harmed when the guy who used the guns is already dead/

Yes, they are shucking and jiving, expecting us to forget.

thedrickel
05-24-2010, 8:48 PM
The Oakland PD investigation they published about the incident stated it was an SKS With a high capacity magazine. Semi auto rifle with magazine capacity over 10 rounds is an AW.

Did it say "SKS" anywhere on the gun? If not, and it was an otherwise unmodified simonov-pattern rifle with a 30rd mag, it wasn't an AW.

porkchop
05-25-2010, 2:11 AM

This is partially incorrect and ambiguous. I believe you meant to say a semi-auto centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine with capacity over 10 rounds.