PDA

View Full Version : big ar-15 question need answer before noon(with update and range report)

stitchnicklas
05-15-2010, 9:30 PM
going to raahauges at noon-1pm time tomorrow .

do i have to have a empty magazine in the gun when transporting or can i insert there,<stupid noobie question but i am asking>

while there i plan on loading magazine from the top w/ upper tipped forward,just not sure about the magazine and such.

also do spectators have to pay to watch a 30 min shoot session???lytle creek charges 3 bucks...

also new gun ,and would like break-in suggestions if you got them.

thanks..

AlliedArmory
05-15-2010, 9:34 PM
no idea about their range rules there.

You do not have to have a magazine inserted in the magwell, but I usually do.

As for breaking it is, just lube it up well and shoot away. Make sure there is no oil in the barrel.

telcolineman
05-15-2010, 9:35 PM
To be safe I would leave the unloaded mag in the rifle

LloydXmas250
05-15-2010, 9:35 PM
Don't take my word as the law, but from what I've always heard no loaded magazines unless they're kept separate from the locked gun. I've had empty mags in a gun before but just have it locked and stored away from ammo. The main thing is no ammo near the gun, and keep the gun inaccessible, whether that's in the trunk or locked up. As for break in, you'll get about a thousand different ideas ranging from clean it before you shoot and then after every round you fire for the first 5 rounds, and then once every 3 rounds, to just shoot the damn thing.

djleisure
05-15-2010, 9:36 PM
Legally, you do not need to keep an empty magazine in the mag well when transporting, BUT it may make things go a touch smoother if you happen to get pulled over and actually allow a cop to search your vehicle (which you should never do.) If you have a modern bullet button (NOT the original prince 50) then you don't need to top-feed. Just use a tool (bullet tip) to drop your mags and go to town!

I don't know about the "paying to watch a 30 min. shoot session" question...

Don't worry about breaking in an AR. Just shoot it and have fun.

stitchnicklas
05-15-2010, 9:37 PM
taking car to range,guns in trunk ammo in locked box in rear seat,keys to box in trunk.

djleisure
05-15-2010, 9:39 PM
Don't take my word as the law, but from what I've always heard no loaded magazines unless they're kept separate from the locked gun. I've had empty mags in a gun before but just have it locked and stored away from ammo. The main thing is no ammo near the gun, and keep the gun inaccessible, whether that's in the trunk or locked up. As for break in, you'll get about a thousand different ideas ranging from clean it before you shoot and then after every round you fire for the first 5 rounds, and then once every 3 rounds, to just shoot the damn thing.
This is incorrect. The ammo can be anywhere (except in the gun) and the gun does not even need to be locked up (we are talking long guns here.)

stitchnicklas
05-15-2010, 9:40 PM
this is the bullet button i installed--

http://www.riflegear.com/popup.aspx?src=images/product/large/58_1_.jpg

stitchnicklas
05-15-2010, 9:41 PM
http://www.riflegear.com/popup.aspx?src=images/product/large/58_1_.jpg

djleisure
05-15-2010, 9:43 PM
Cool - your fine with that. No need to break open your rifle and top-feed. Just use your bullet tip to drop your mags and reload like a normal Californian! :)

Cokebottle
05-15-2010, 9:45 PM
The main thing is no ammo near the gun
Wrong.

This FUD has been spread by gun shops as long as I can remember.
There are NO laws pertaining to transportation of ammunition other than it cannot be taken ONTO school grounds.

As long as the ammo is not in the gun "in a position to be fired", it's legal. Shotgun shells stuck in a sidesaddle rig are perfectly legal to transport.
and keep the gun inaccessible, whether that's in the trunk or locked up.
Not applicable to long guns.

08duramax
05-15-2010, 9:46 PM
no laws regulating transportation of long guns. just make sure it is unloaded. ammo can be in a magazine next to the gun and it is legal. according to my ATF class, empty magazine must be in gun, otherwise it has a detachable mag. i dont believe the guy but i would put one in there just to be safe.

while at the range, use the bullet button and load normally. no reason to top load

as far as break in. send a patch down the barrel, then shoot the hell out of it.

Cokebottle
05-15-2010, 9:48 PM
Legally, you do not need to keep an empty magazine in the mag well when transporting, BUT it may make things go a touch smoother if you happen to get pulled over and actually allow a cop to search your vehicle (which you should never do.) If you have a modern bullet button (NOT the original prince 50) then you don't need to top-feed. Just use a tool (bullet tip) to drop your mags and go to town!
Ya... Though the mag is not needed, it's a good idea.
One issue is that the recent Orange County Sheriff's training bulletin specifies that the gun is "not capable of accepting a detachable magazine" when it has a bullet button and a magazine in the magwell.

It's a minor misreading of the law and CGF is working to have to corrected, but at the moment, that is the information that has been provided to OCSD officers.

Cokebottle
05-15-2010, 9:49 PM
taking car to range,guns in trunk ammo in locked box in rear seat,keys to box in trunk.
FUD

stitchnicklas
05-15-2010, 10:03 PM
FUD

i know that is overkill but i don't want a problem ,or to cause leos to start having problems. thats all..

Cokebottle
05-15-2010, 10:13 PM
i know that is overkill but i don't want a problem ,or to cause leos to start having problems. thats all..
Then present it as "this is what I do", as other have presented the issue about having the magazine installed in the BB-equipped receiver.... don't present it as a firm statement, which implies that it is legally required.

It's not legally required. Ammo transportation is not regulated and it NEVER needs to be in a locked container.
Long guns are not required to be locked in the trunk, or locked up anywhere... only RAW are required to be transported in a locked container.
The only other issue that potentially impacts long guns is the Federal gun-free-school-zone, but I've never heard of anyone arrested for that.

Long guns are 100% legal in an unlocked range bag laying on your passenger seat with 10,000 rounds in a backpack on the floor under your feet.

BTW: Lytle Creek is a good range... pretty much anything goes there (as long as it's legal).
You will have no problems with the LC range officers.

You may have a problem getting a spot that late though, especially if tomorrow is as beautiful as today was.

LloydXmas250
05-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Like I said, don't take my word for law. Thanks for correcting me but my way is not illegal and even though it's overkill to me it's more peace of mind than anything. Cops can be sneaky so I look to take away any thought about transporting illegally. Plus I've heard many stories about how ignorant some cops can be regarding gun laws. To each his own. Let us know how tomorrow goes.

reidnez
05-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Long guns are 100% legal in an unlocked range bag laying on your passenger seat with 10,000 rounds in a backpack on the floor under your feet.

That's a big backpack! :eek:

djleisure
05-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Like I said, don't take my word for law. Thanks for correcting me but my way is not illegal and even though it's overkill to me it's more peace of mind than anything. Cops can be sneaky so I look to take away any thought about transporting illegally. Plus I've heard many stories about how ignorant some cops can be regarding gun laws. To each his own. Let us know how tomorrow goes.
You can do whatever you choose, but please refrain from making "factual" statements. Re-read your initial post that I bolded. Statements like, "The main thing is..." sound like you are stating the law. Maybe go with, "I don't know the law, but I choose to..." or something along those lines.

Dr Rockso
05-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Having an empty magazine locked in place would definitely make it easier to explain to someone ignorant of OLL issues. "It's a fixed-mag rifle, see?" is a lot easier than "It's a fixed mag rifle that's partially disassembled because the magazine is removed....see?".

stitchnicklas
05-15-2010, 11:59 PM
think i got my answer,empty mag for transport,low key mag changes.....

IsaacGlass
05-16-2010, 12:46 AM
think i got my answer,empty mag for transport,low key mag changes.....

What's a low key mag change? are you talking about changing the mag on your AR in the restroom or what? :shrug:

If you are afraid and/or unsure, maybe it's best to hold off and read up on the law before heading out to the range.

jbooker9
05-16-2010, 7:45 AM
What's a low key mag change? are you talking about changing the mag on your AR in the restroom or what? :shrug:

If you are afraid and/or unsure, maybe it's best to hold off and read up on the law before heading out to the range.

+1 there is no reason for low key mag changes as long as you have a legaly configured rifle. Trust me more than likely you will not be the only one there with a bb installed on your AR.

Mail Clerk
05-16-2010, 7:55 AM
going to raahauges at noon-1pm time tomorrow .

do i have to have a empty magazine in the gun when transporting or can i insert there,<stupid noobie question but i am asking>

while there i plan on loading magazine from the top w/ upper tipped forward,just not sure about the magazine and such.

also do spectators have to pay to watch a 30 min shoot session???lytle creek charges 3 bucks...

also new gun ,and would like break-in suggestions if you got them.

thanks..

stitchnicklas,

I would always advise to transport you magazines empty and load them there. That way everyone can see you in the safety mode all the time.

I can't tell you anthing about special charges especially Lytle Creek range.

On any new gun/rifle is highly suggest you just shoot very slow and try not to allow the barrel to heat up. Shoot to check reliability only. If your AR has a chromes barrel then you can shoot a couple hundred rounds through it to polish the lands inside as chrome lined doesn't rewuire "breaking in period".

Mail Clerk

NiteQwill
05-16-2010, 8:23 AM
Don't take my word as the law, but from what I've always heard no loaded magazines unless they're kept separate from the locked gun. I've had empty mags in a gun before but just have it locked and stored away from ammo. The main thing is no ammo near the gun, and keep the gun inaccessible, whether that's in the trunk or locked up.

Are you freaking serious? Posts like these only perpetuate the endless FUD.

If you don't know, don't post. If you think you know but not sure, ask for verification. Otherwise, leave the FUD-facts away from the keyboard.

anniepoks
05-16-2010, 8:30 AM
since it is a fixed mag rifle (w/ BB), transport AR with empty mag on it, unloaded.
then open bolt for easy glimpse that its really unloaded- or best put a chamber flag.

range time:
i try to keep empty mag inserted during ceasefire w/ flag.
if rangemaster tells you to drop mag open bolt, just do it.
your fear in regards with open magwell might kick in but just do what rangemaster sez.
shooting ranges tend to have different rules when it pertains to OLL rifles.
have fun shooting......

motorhead
05-16-2010, 12:17 PM
i can't believe there are still people passing along the old lie about keeping the ammo separate. ESPECIALLY here. it spreads like a disease.

Cokebottle
05-16-2010, 12:21 PM
i can't believe there are still people passing along the old lie about keeping the ammo separate. ESPECIALLY here. it spreads like a disease.
It is repeated every time someone buys a gun from the majority of gun shops.

People don't KNOW the law, so they draw on assumptions based on what they've been told, what they think the law should be, or what they think is the safest thing to do (as indicated by two posters on this thread).

Cokebottle
05-16-2010, 1:41 PM
from what I can tell.. most of ya'll are over-reacting a bit..

just because you can line your rounds up right next to a long gun on your dashboard, or whatever the hell some of you are trying to say, doesn't mean you have to.. these are the types asking for confrontations.. why bother? I don't have that kind of time myself..

if someone is more comfortable separating them in locked compartments of their vehicle, more power to them.. probably wouldn't give any leo any reason to do more than ask for your sig on a ticket and wish you a nice day..

as for the laws.. everyone interprets them differently.. even leo's

if someone is advising more caution then no worries.. jump on his tail when he gives illegal advice..
You are 100% correct.

But when someone is asking what is legally required, the correct answer is to answer with what is legally required.

Refer to a couple of the initial responses regarding the magazine (the actual question), where the OP was told that there is no legal requirement to transport the AR with a mag locked in, but it's not a bad idea.

There's nothing wrong with sharing what you personally do or recommend, but to present it in a way that it appears to be a legal requirement is spreading FUD and a disservice to the community.

stitchnicklas
05-16-2010, 3:30 PM
OK..... Here is the report:

(1) went raahauges 100yd range-w/ro -hawk
(2) ar shot awesomely first 10 shots,stopped and checked the upper and barrel assembly for any bad signs with a bore light,all was good.....
(3)shot the hell out of it for 100 more rounds all was good,so freaking happy with it.

did mag changes no problems and all was good,just a worry wart thats all....

the stag upper mated awesomely with the jd lower,zero slop and firm seating...

now i have to wait 6 weeks to shoot again(wrist surgery in 2 days) but then it will be brass killin time!!!!!!!!!!!!

well thanks calguns again for the help,now off to clean the guns(shot my 10/22 ruger and wife's sig too)

:83::83: