PDA

View Full Version : O/U 12 Ga Shotgun Suggestions

bee7851
03-12-2006, 8:53 PM
I want to get into skeet and want to get a O/U shotgun. Any suggestions on what I can get for about $300? Not looking for something too fancy... just something that works well enough to help me hit clay better... ha!

Stanze
03-12-2006, 9:26 PM
I've seen Mossberg and Russian O/U priced a bit under $400. at Big 5.

metalhead357
03-12-2006, 11:56 PM
For $300you might be a little limited....might have better luck used. Most of the over unders (even the cheap ones) tend to at least appear to be better specimins than some pumps & related in the $250 range.

I think I saw a EAA(?) for around $400 in CDNN, Methinks Stoeger makes a rather cheap model too but last I looked...and that was a long while ago.....it was around $450. And there ARE some lesser knowns made in Turkey and some of them Soviet once states that are puttin' out somethin' IIRC but you got me on price..... My FIRST thought actually was a Norinco but the more I think about it I dont think any of thier models are O/U............ Could check out fabarms........

A heck, just bite the bullet and Buy a Ruger Red Label for $1500 and be done with it:p

FWIW- My buddy picked up a Turkish O/U from Big 5 about 1 1/2 years back for $359 IIRC and its a "Khan"...aint seen 'em since there.

Just remeber the ol addage....buy cheap and you'll end up buying twice:cool: BEST suggestion I can give (after being so friggin' wordy above) is to save up a lil' more and get a entry level "decent" one in the $400-$700 range.

Metalhead

bee7851
03-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the advise Stanze and Metalhead, I certainly appreciate it.

Metalhead - Guess you're right, I oughta just suck it up and buy a decent one... I don't know about buying a Ruger Red Label, unless of course I want to end my marriage early... haha! Or seriously consider buying used. I've seen the Khan or Russian O/U's around but wasn't sure how they performed. I do agree with you regarding the saying "you get what you pay for" that's why I guess I've always been skeptical.

How did your friend's Turk O/U shoot? Was it some what decent? Or should I not even consider it?

glen avon
03-13-2006, 12:16 PM
remington spartan, they are the current version of the russian guns. if I was to buy an O/U that would be it. they are on sale at Big 5 for $469

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/SPR_models/

sargenv
03-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Why bother with an O/U? You could pick up a fairly good used 1100, 11/87, etc semi-auto for under $400 and sometimes less than that and you will get a decent skeet/trap/sporting clays guns that has interchangeable choke tubes for different conditions. You won't get as tired since you will have the benefit of recoil reduction in a working action as opposed to an O/U. I used to shoot a Weatherby o/u, Browning citori, etc, but my Semi feels better to me and if I do my part, I can break the occasional 25 straight. Unfortunately the better O/U's are going to cost some money. Since you have 2 barrels, they have to at least point to about the same point of impact. In cheaper models they may be a bit more off than the more comman model names. Usually with inexpensive O/U's you have fixed chokes (modified and full, full and full, improved and modified, etc) and with the more brand name guns you get the choke tubes which come in handy when you have closer or farther targets.

If you want to get an O/U, I'd say to save your money and get the better quality gun. The other thing you'd have going for you is that if you break a part on a Browning, Beretta, or Ruger, your gunsmith will probably be able to get parts. If you get something from Turkey or Russia, good luck finding replacement parts.

Vince

TMC
03-13-2006, 3:28 PM
Why bother with an O/U?
Vince

Two words Vince, Snob Factor

That's why I bought a 525, I felf like a noob shooting an old 1100 standing next to the guys with the nice Browning or what have you. Remember I can't hit much so I have to at least look like I know what I'm doing...... if I was good, like you, I wouldn't care what I was shooting

glen avon
03-13-2006, 3:49 PM
spartans come with screw-in choke tubes. and the wood I have seen is thoroughly decent.

CowtownBallin
03-13-2006, 4:35 PM
Big 5 has Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U shotguns for around $469. If your local store doesn't have it, tell them to order you one from the distribution center.

metalhead357
03-13-2006, 5:05 PM
How did your friend's Turk O/U shoot? Was it some what decent? Or should I not even consider it?

His gun is now my gun:D He only put two boxes through it and I have only one through it. My lil book says I paid a straight THREE hundred for it...you know the story...I was near broke...he was MORE broke and goin' through a divorce:cool: he needed Cash FAST and thats litterally all that I had. He was happy, I am with an over and under with now only 75 rounds through it..

Is it "decent"? yea, for a 'around' $400 gun. It certainly doesnt have all the luxery-ness and is still WAY tuff to break open, a litttle rough around the edges...but as said, you get what you pay for. I apparently got a little more than he!!!!!!

FWIW.....I DID offer to give him more...but other guns came and I gave exactly what he was asking which was pretty much always right around what he paid for them pretty much no questions asked- he was really tuff up........ I DO think he made his money back and he IS still my friend;) I wish I could tell you more...I bought it to help him and with the intent to use as "The Dove gun" but it aint been out to do that just yet.....

I DO think it is worth the money....

Are there better out there? Probably, but in that price range we're talking I still think new or used it's a slim market.

Good Luck........

Metalhead

bee7851
03-13-2006, 8:18 PM
Great feedback everyone.... Thank you all.

So here's what I think I'll do. I'll check out the Remington Spartan, Mossberg (Big 5), and some Semi Autos. But I think I'll stay away from the imports the point Vince made about scares parts makes plenty sense.

I'll keep you all posted on what I end up with... hopefully it'll be good. lol.

Thanks again and good shooting to you all...

sargenv
03-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Two words Vince, Snob Factor

Well, there is that.. :) I remember showing up on the trap line one time at Concord.. I was shooting a less than $100 topper model H&R 20 gauge plain barrel full choked shotgun on the 16 yard line. Guy next to me was shooting one of those Browning special grade trap O/U's.. He scored a 23, I scored a 22.. he was not a happy camper.. He came into the club house *****ing about "some guy with a cheap ***** gun" that nearly outshot him. :D

I can understand snob factor, but it's always satisfying to come to the line with a "duck gun I bought at big 5" and outshoot them fellers with those fancy Koelers and Berettas. They are more than happy to help me along with advice about fit and feel etc, and um, well they usually stop talking to me by station 6 ;)

if I was good, like you, I wouldn't care what I was shooting

lol.. well, it doesn't hurt that I've been shooting at flying critters and clays since I was like... 12.. You still kick my ***** with those single projectile firing guns... :rolleyes:

Great feedback everyone.... Thank you all

Glad to help steer you in the right direction. If we have fun while doing it, then all the better, right?

Vince

bwiese
03-14-2006, 12:38 AM
Hmmm. I've been looking for an O/U since I'm tired of shooting trap with my Benelli Nova 18.5" ;)

The lower-cost O/U guns from Russia & Turkey just, to me, seem bulky and poorly balanced - front heavy, that is - and just don't "cheek up" right.

For a few dollars more ($850ish), I just picked up a very nice used-but-great-shape Ruger Red Label with a 26" barrel. I was so hot for the 26" barrel that I didn't care that this particular gun I got was restricted to 2-3/4" shells and had fixed (nonreplaceable) chokes.

Can't wait to hit the trap range in a week or two...

glen avon
03-14-2006, 7:11 AM
...So here's what I think I'll do. I'll check out the Remington Spartan, Mossberg (Big 5), and some Semi Autos. But I think I'll stay away from the imports the point Vince made about scares parts makes plenty sense....

the spartan and mossberg O/Us are imported. the spartan from russia and the mossy from turkey. I think they will do OK with service in the future.

there is no way you will ever get a $500 O/U with American parts and labor. if you want to avoid imports, then ruger is the cheapest. but they are gun grabbers so please don't buy one.

beretta, on the other hand, makes an entry-level O/U, and they have been around, well, longer than any other company in the entire world, bar none, so parts should not be a problem. and beretta stood tall during all the anti-gun BS litigation and kicked butt, absolutely unapologetically. they have earned every single cent Americans spend on them. unlike the pedophiles at ruger, who brought you the 10-rd magazine ban and refused to sell evil-type mini-14 to the unwashed public. buying a ruger, new or used, is supporting gun control and that's all there is to it.

bee7851
03-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Vince - Thanks again for the Great advice!

Bwiese - Thanks for pointing out that the imports didn't cheek up comfortably. I was afraid of the same thing. Although just to fill my curiousity, and in all fairness, I oughta cheek one up. But I don't think I'll go out of my way to find one in my neck of the woods.

Glen Avon - Thanks for the heads up about Ruger... That's just horrible, however, it certainly is good to know. I'll have to absolutely stay clear of their products from now on.

One question though... you mentioned that the Spartan and Moss O/U are imported from Russian, etc. With that said, do you think they perform just like the other imports? Or does the name make a difference?

glen avon
03-14-2006, 10:21 AM
yeah, the betrayal sucks in its own right, and the fact that they have decent products for the money only makes it worse.

rwmagnus
03-14-2006, 2:49 PM
remington spartan, they are the current version of the russian guns. if I was to buy an O/U that would be it. they are on sale at Big 5 for $469

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/SPR_models/

WOW seems like alot of gun for the price on an O/U. Have you tried this gun out? The link shows a compensated version as well, does Big 5 carry them all?

glen avon
03-14-2006, 3:15 PM
I lust after them each time I am in a Big 5. i will get one one day, if I don't wait too long. they look and feel *very* solid for the money.

I have only seen the most basic model there, in 12 ga.

metalhead357
03-14-2006, 3:21 PM
then ruger is the cheapest. but they are gun grabbers so please don't buy one.

unlike the pedophiles at ruger, who brought you the 10-rd magazine ban and refused to sell evil-type mini-14 to the unwashed public. buying a ruger, new or used, is supporting gun control and that's all there is to it.

????????????????????????Please advise.........:confused:

Does not entirely compute....Ruger DOES sell mini 14's to the unwashed public...

Andpleasse explain the rest too!!!!!!

crs1
03-14-2006, 3:32 PM
Bill Ruger sold out during the original high cap ban with the famous saying, "No self-respecting man should ever need more than 10 rounds."

I think that was all said as a compromise so that the Mini would remain free from the scrutiny unfairly placed on the AR-15 and AK series rifles. It saddens me to know that they sold out, but I just love my 10-22 and my Mini.

Sorry about that sidebar, but you should check out CDNN and Shotgun News for deals on cheap (price, not quality) Italian and Spanish over unders. Look at Silma, Verona, and for a little more $$ HK and Sig close outs.

CowtownBallin
03-15-2006, 4:37 PM
CDNN doesn't ship to California, however.

glen avon
03-15-2006, 4:51 PM
Does not entirely compute....Ruger DOES sell mini 14's to the unwashed public...

not the Mini-14 GB.

Not the 30-rd. hicaps. he only grudgingly sold the 20-rd hicaps to the public, which are not as well made as the 30s. the 30s have welded tabs and thick metal with a blue that belongs on a barrel. the 20s have stamped tabs (like USA and cheap mags), thinner metal and an inferior finish.

any chance he got to curry gov't favor at the expense of the citizen, he took. citizens were worth less to him that the gov't.

bill ruger promoted the 10-rd mag ban. right before he died, he gave $1 million to the NRA - but for a museum in his own name. BFD. none goes to fight what he accompished.

Rumpled
03-15-2006, 5:22 PM
CDNN doesn't ship to California, however.

They won't ship any semi autos and some other things, but I think they'll still sell an O/U.

I got a Baikal 20 ga O/U from them about two years ago. This is now the Remington Spartan, though I think Remy is only importing the 12's.
It was very tight when I first got it, the recommendation is to sit in the living room and work the action for hours at a time and/or shoot about 1000 rounds thru it.

Cheapest American as mentioned is the Ruger.
The imports will mostly be Russian, Turkish, some Spanish, maybe some Italian and Phillipine.

Brands that I remember looking at were/are Baikal, Verona, Charles Daly, Spartan, Stoeger, Khan, the new Mossy.

Look for used, but get the barrel length you want and hold out for interchangeable choke tubes. If you search Gunbroker right now, you'll see a Pedersen O/U for IIRC $749. These were Beretta barrelled actions in the white finished and fitted with stockes by Mossberg. Reputed to be fine guns and depending upon grade, near custom. (I'm a small Mossy collector and if I had the $ might buy this one)

crs1
03-15-2006, 5:29 PM
CDNN will ship anything that is not tactical, police, or a handgun to Ca. They have some nice O/U's right now, esp. the Verona (Rizzini).

brassburns
03-15-2006, 6:50 PM
The Blue Book lists the fixed choke Browning Citori field grade in 95% at $800. That means there should be some out there in the $600-700 range. I picked up a very nice 32" trap model for about $620 in the box with papers. I wanted it for sporting clays, so although according to some the barrel length is right, the chokes were not.

I've only shot a couple of rounds of trap with it, but it mounted and shot well. I'm still partial to my old 870 Wingmaster that just smokes the straightaway birds, but the Citori does have a certain snob appeal, plus my 10 year-old can't get over the fact the furniture is wood and not plastic. "But dad, it's so smooth and shiney."

There are deals out there. Just keep looking.

Randy
NRA Life Member

metalhead357
03-15-2006, 6:51 PM
not the Mini-14 GB.

Not the 30-rd. hicaps. he only grudgingly sold the 20-rd hicaps to the public, which are not as well made as the 30s.

.......any chance he got to curry gov't favor at the expense of the citizen, he took. citizens were worth less to him that the gov't.

bill ruger promoted the 10-rd mag ban. right before he died, he gave $1 million to the NRA - but for a museum in his own name. BFD. none goes to fight what he accompished.

Ok, Me thinks me understands..... Please bare with me a sec...and NO, I'm not trying to pick a fight......

He WOULDNT sell a gun that is BANNED in california by feature?

He wont sell 20 or 30 round mags that were banned by OUR State governemnt.......

I dunno whether he "promoted" it....on that I need a lil' more reference. Starring Clinton's clowns in the face and faced with either NO mag sales or "only" 10 rounders.....makes business sense to me....yea, it sucks for gun owners but not for a business to stay afloat.....

$1million dollar "gift"....ok....so he wanted a lil' give and take? And you've got a problem with that???????? If I gave A million dollars I'd want a little more than a nudge nudge wink wink too..........

NOT trying to be controversial here but simply point out the falacy of the argument(s) that Mr. Ruger is anti gun, or his products are crap, or so that none here forget there are litterally millions of Ruger Firearms in some very satisfied customer's hands......And they do make/have a full line of guns ranging from the truly awsome to the unfortunately dismal.....but that's life in a business ruled by close tolerances, budget concerns, idiotic (OR) intelligent employees and all the related........None of that makes him, nor his company Anti-gun.

But if you want to talk anti-gun.....we COULD always talk about S&W:cool:

As for CDNN...I asked on a thread a couple weeks ago. They will and DO as another poster said; NON tactical and NON handgun related firearms et. al. they do ship.... I just got an order on 10 rounder mags for a pistol & my FFL'r has just ordered a rifle from them for one of our common friends.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,

Metalhead

glen avon
03-15-2006, 7:08 PM
...He WOULDNT sell a gun that is BANNED in california by feature?

He wont sell 20 or 30 round mags that were banned by OUR State governemnt.......

no, this all predated the 94 ban and CA's ban.

I dunno whether he "promoted" it....on that I need a lil' more reference. Starring Clinton's clowns in the face and faced with either NO mag sales or "only" 10 rounders.....makes business sense to me....yea, it sucks for gun owners but not for a business to stay afloat.....

$1million dollar "gift"....ok....so he wanted a lil' give and take? And you've got a problem with that???????? If I gave A million dollars I'd want a little more than a nudge nudge wink wink too..........

NOT trying to be controversial here but simply point out the falacy of the argument(s) that Mr. Ruger is anti gun, or his products are crap, or so that none here forget there are litterally millions of Ruger Firearms in some very satisfied customer's hands......And they do make/have a full line of guns ranging from the truly awsome to the unfortunately dismal.....but that's life in a business ruled by close tolerances, budget concerns, idiotic (OR) intelligent employees and all the related........None of that makes him, nor his company Anti-gun.

ruger products are not low quality in any regard. they may look graceless (or very nice, certain models), but their quality is beyond reproach.

is he anti-gun? like the brits. oh, not anti-gun, just anti-non-sporting-john-kerry-style-gun. double shotguns and .22s are all we need....

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

he refused to sell GBs and hicaps to the public before it was law. voluntarily. no gov't threats. he wanted contracts. eff him. anti enough for me.

But if you want to talk anti-gun.....we COULD always talk about S&W:cool:

I disagree, S&W always sold a full product line to us, and only took it in the ol' wazoo when actually threatened by Clinton & Co. I don't appreciate their choice, but I don't blame them. ruger did it because he believed in it.

As for CDNN...I asked on a thread a couple weeks ago. They will and DO as another poster said; NON tactical and NON handgun related firearms et. al. they do ship.... I just got an order on 10 rounder mags for a pistol & my FFL'r has just ordered a rifle from them for one of our common friends.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,

Metalhead

CDNN sends stuff to me.

Senna
03-15-2006, 7:44 PM
I have a FRANCHI O/U Alcione nice gun $1000 range imported by benelli an uses benelli threaded chokes I've had this gun for about 8 years and love it.
noticed a small hailine crack on one of the ejector rods called benelli no questions asked new part sent ASAP. :)
I just looked at thier site the line up has changed a bit

http://www.franchiusa.com/

metalhead357
03-15-2006, 7:53 PM
Ahhh, Thank you Glen for clearing some of that up. See, I will admit I didnt know that Ruger did that BEFORE the ban.....that was quite a while and unfortunately ,what, 10,0000 gun laws ago:mad: But I wont doubt it now with a second peep claiming the same. But you got me on the vieing for contracts bit............ that one is completely new news to me.

Oh, PLEASE dont think I'm knocking the ruger line. I like'n them ok, own a few from the venerable 10/22 and MK II, but thier Mini-14's ARE unfortunately Not the most accurate or finely polished beast ever made. It takes wayyyy to much time and money to get one truly goin' (ask me how I know that one! LOL!). I would abso-freakin lootly love a Red Label or even some of thier Single action revolvers....... just, as said, NOT ALL thier line-o-products are built the same way.

You are certainly correct in S&W...and in that please dont misunderstand me in my thoughts on that one either.....they made a business decsion, and I DO understand it, just didn't agree then-- or now....as it seems you too if I'm getting the corrrect vibe.

But folks, C'mon.... Whatta about WILSON? They've completely pulled from the public and hasnt Colt too? To ME, IMO, this is much more a slap in the face than Ruger's parinoia or S&W's jellyfish spine. I freely admit I might be off on Colt, but I hope some here can differentiate the differences in truly anti-gun and what Glen~ has stated so eleoquently about being along the line of the Wishy-washy Kerry's Ok on shotguns and hunting but no other guns and none for "freedom" or protection........

Sorry, folk, Methinks we're getting off topic...........

Whattya say another round or two of THIS stuff and someone start a new thread? I hate stompin' on one in a only partially related subject:(

Metalhead

bee7851
03-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all the advice and feedback everyone... oh and for the gun manufacturer insight as well. That certainly is always nice to know.

Guess I have more homework than I thought. I'll have to look into the other imports and see how they stack up. I'll have to also look into CDNN and Shotgun news... too bad my subscription just ran out. lol.

I'll keep everyone updated....