PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Calguns and members for all the help with my AR build

deadcoyote
05-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Got it done a week ago and finally shot it yesterday. Everything runs great! rifle is very accurate and the used Colt upper I got looks like new. New question:
I live in a heavily wooded area, hunt a lot of deer and pigs at pretty close range. I'm thinking about buying a Oly 10mm upper for fun and hunting. How would an AR action hold up to some of the high pressure hunting rounds put out by Cor-bon and BB? I know I might be better served by going 7.62x39, but I've got two other rifles chambered for that already, and I'm now fully addicted to my AR.
I figured 10mm would be good for short range hunting, maybe even some black bears. I can pick up this ammo at local shops too. 6.8 is pretty common up here as well. I really like the 6.5 Grendel but I've never seen any ammo for it in any of my travels throughout the north end of the state. I also am hesitant to use a 6.5/6.8 on pigs, i know the 10mm might not seem better, but I'd have more confidence in the heavier broader slug.

killshot44
05-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Congrats on finishing the build.
http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/Killshot44_bucket/th_sgtlee-1.jpg

Sorry, Sgt Lee gets kinda harsh when you don't have photos....

For the Pigs in tight woods, the 7.62x39 works. Up close I've used 12ga slugs but as you might guess, I'm partial to my .44Mag Winchester....

AlliedArmory
05-15-2010, 12:36 PM
:useless: