PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz Salmon Report

mrboma
05-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Calgunners,

The Good Part:

The salmon fishing out in the Soquel Hole is picking up. We fished Thursday and picked up 5 Salmon up to about 19 pounds.

The amount of Krill in the Hole is amazing. All of the Salmon were PLUGGED with Krill. For those of you who know, when they are feeding on Krill the meat is almost glowing red and extremely delicate.

We were trolling naked dead skank bait (very old twice frozen chovies) and picked up the fish between 40 and 80 feet down on the wire. Lost 2 at the boat. Overall a really nice day out on the Bay.

BBQ'd a really nice filet last night with some Sweet Terryaki and gorged until I thought I would burst.

Now is the time to get out on the water and bring home some of the best tasting Salmon in the world.

Obligatory photo:
http://www.santacruzsolutions.com/fish/05.13.10salmon.jpg

If you do not have your own boat and despise cattle boats, drop me a PM and I will put you together with 2 of the finest 6pack boats in the Santa Cruz Harbor.

The Bad Part:

We got back into the harbor around 3pm and washed the boat down. I was headed up to the truck to drop off some rods and my backpack when I noticed my truck had moved about 3 feet from it's original parking space. As I walked closer I saw the front drivers side had been crushed in by something very heavy.

Long story short, Harbor Master called and Port District Dredge guys brought over and after some investigation we found that the Dredge guys were moving the "cans" (8 x 6 x 3 foot steel boxes weighing about 5000 lbs.) from the lower to the upper harbor. The guy had NO idea he smashed my truck! They have accepted full liability and the insurance company has been pleasant to deal with so far. @#$%^&* end to a great day but hopefully this will end well...

Obligatory photo:
http://www.santacruzsolutions.com/fish/truck.jpg

Regards,
Mike

How Bizarre
05-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the report. At least the Dredge guys are stepping up.