View Full Version : selling lower to step son

03-12-2006, 7:12 PM
I read somewhere here that a father can give a son a weapon with OUT does?? if so, does that apply to step son.... He is wanting my Lower,, I have listed it here and he now wants first dibs..

Copied from CA DOJ web site.......
5. Can I give a firearm to my adult child? Can he/she give it back to me later?
Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category and the firearm is a legal firearm to possess, the transfer of a firearm between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement. However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must submit an Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days. Assault weapons may not be transferred in this fashion. See Penal Code section 12285, subdivision (b).

(PC section 12076(c))

03-12-2006, 7:26 PM
Hand it to him, but make sure he hands you money in return. Legal transaction. Done deal. And you can do it while having dinner if you so choose.

03-12-2006, 7:40 PM
Think I should make him buy dinner??? Actually, he has a Lower - or should I say DOJ has his.....

03-12-2006, 9:21 PM
I was told Step Son is a no. Is that only for handguns or for all guns? Again STEP SON. Son yes.

03-12-2006, 9:25 PM
That's for ALL guns, except C&Rs older than 50 years, and antique or black poweder guns.

Oh, sorry..... forgot ALL about the STEP son part as soon as I read the message body.

Have the step son sell it to his wife, then she can sell it to her mother, who can give it to you. lol ;)

Oh, and a Voluntary Registration Form wouldn't be a bad idea. heh

03-13-2006, 12:29 AM
And I'll throw in too...right from your DOJ bit. NO on assault weapons...so if you're gonna do this Do it BEFORE the list comes out. But for DROS fees being not all THAT bad and he is a step son, why chance it? walk it in and do the paperwork and the 10 dayer:rolleyes:

03-13-2006, 1:06 AM
PPT it. Interfamial transfer applies only to blood relatives as far as I know.