PDA

View Full Version : Stripped lower recommendations...

GunDog
05-15-2010, 9:11 AM
Okay, I decided to take the leap and purchase a stripped lower and LPK. Plan is to mount a Bushmaster M4A3 upper on the new California legal lower. Will visit Tenpercent firearms in Taft this next week to see what lowers are available for my needs. My questions are: What are some good OLL's to consider and which one's should be avoided? Quality and craftsmanship are a priority and whichever lower I get, I want to ensure it is a good fit and fully compatible with my Bushmaster upper.

anniepoks
05-15-2010, 10:21 AM
i got OLLs from spikestactical before. check this out:

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=specials

jchen76@gmail.com
05-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Only lower I've read to avoid are made by Vulcan/Hesse. Other than that, even the cheapest lowers will suffice. I personally prefer Spike's due to their multitude of engraving designs. Mega has lowers where the front of the magwell has dimples to provide a non slip surface.

boink
05-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Just run through here and pick what you like:

http://riflegear.com/c-94-stripped-lower-receivers.aspx

I'm a fan of Mega. I have two Mega custom lowers, and one Territorial Gunsmiths lower. All are great.

also. I have the same upper from bushmaster. Has fit just perfect on both the Mega and Territorial Gunsmith lowers.

stphnman20
05-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Theres a long @ss thread about lowers.. Basically, there all the same.

SJgunguy24
05-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Theres a long @ss thread about lowers.. Basically, there all the same.

This, there are some that have little things that make them different, like checkering on the mag well and different factory roll marks.

dieselpower
05-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Stag > Spikes, but Spikes are very good.

Can I suggest you also think about supporting California firearms manufacturer like JD Machine Tech and Kaiser Defense. Both are quality lowers and buying Ca helps our local boys.

Capt. Speirs
05-15-2010, 11:59 AM
We have Aero Precision Multi Cal. stripped lowers for $95, Calguners get them for $90.00. BTW, AERO makes Spikes lowers.

scobun
05-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Mega uses better aluminum than the rest, but the rest are all good enough. Stag/CMT make the nicest; they are a major supplier to Colt as well as making all of Noveske's lowers up until a few years ago.

killshot44
05-15-2010, 12:28 PM
I have a Stag and a Spikes. The Stag has a better finish. (but the Spikes is still nice)

Check out Calguns vendor Golden State Tactical. He sells Stag, Spikes, Smith&Wesson, Rock River and JD Machine Lowers. http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/lowerreceivers1.html

Rob will take care of you. (He has a special on Spikes, $99 with free shipping) Tell him Killshot sent ya.

swerv512
05-15-2010, 1:49 PM
Noveske and dont look back.... :rolleyes:

Greg-Dawg
05-15-2010, 2:15 PM
RRA.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/RRA001.jpg

Nessal
05-15-2010, 2:19 PM
I have owned over 4 different kinds of lower. I would say they are all the same BUT get one without a teflon finish. CMMG uses teflon finish on their lowers. Most uppers out there do not teflon coat their uppers. So you are going to have a hard time matching it up. I have owned 3 CMMG lowers and still own them and it doesn't bother me that much. But I know some people are super anal. The best finished lower that I have are my KD Calguns lower.

Jon Se
05-15-2010, 4:05 PM
Since everyone seems to have their own favorite brand of lower, I'll throw in the JD Machine lower into the mix.

http://www.riflegear.com/images/Product/large/681.jpg

And its made in San Diego. :)

Mega uses better aluminum than the rest, but the rest are all good enough. Stag/CMT make the nicest; they are a major supplier to Colt as well as making all of Noveske's lowers up until a few years ago.

Just out of curiosity, what type of aluminum does Mega use?

jvpark
05-15-2010, 4:43 PM
Since everyone seems to have their own favorite brand of lower, I'll throw in the JD Machine lower into the mix.
And its made in San Diego. :)

Just out of curiosity, what type of aluminum does Mega use?

+1

for the JD...

good quality and great price at Riflegear.com

wsmc27
05-15-2010, 5:11 PM
YA!

We recently got a JD locally (Discount Gun Mart had'em on sale for $99) and are pleased to support the San Diego manufacturer!

:)

Ripper
05-15-2010, 5:24 PM
Buy a Kaiser Defence Lower, they are top notch. Machine work and finish are TOP NOTCH. I had nothing but good luck with there Recievers:cool2:

steve92407
05-15-2010, 5:33 PM
kaiser defense is now jd machine.aero may possible make spikes lowers,but i saw them coming out of jd cnc machines over a month ago .

caldivers
05-15-2010, 5:40 PM
I have got lowers from Ten Persent ( im in Bako right up the road from Taft) . I have had great service from them and they are willing to help with any question. I know they carry Spikes and CMMGs. I personaly Like Spikes.

GunDog
05-15-2010, 5:52 PM
I see where Tenpercent in Taft is open from 11-2 on Sundays. I'm thinking of driving on over there to check out their merchandise. See that Tenpercent also has Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT) lowers. What's the scoop on the LMT lowers with regard to quality and pricing?

Nessal
05-15-2010, 6:50 PM
LMT makes good stuff but you're probably going to pay more for the name.

gunnery
05-15-2010, 7:10 PM
Maybe it doesn't make alot of difference. But, what was a difference
was making some sort of contraption which is the size of a mag and
fits into a vice. You can buy them...I made mine from extra baseboard
wood and customized(?) it to fit with duct tape.
Also, do it where there isn't a whole clutter of stuff. If a spring shoots
off, you'll be able to find it easier.
Hope that helps.

jaydog
05-15-2010, 7:29 PM
I have a Stag and a Spikes. The Stag has a better finish. (but the Spikes is still nice)

Check out Calguns vendor Golden State Tactical. He sells Stag, Spikes, Smith&Wesson, Rock River and JD Machine Lowers. http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/lowerreceivers1.html

Rob will take care of you. (He has a special on Spikes, $99 with free shipping) Tell him Killshot sent ya.

The spikes look cool and they make pistol lowers too.