View Full Version : hunt w/ .270? i need your knowledge!

05-15-2010, 12:22 AM
im looking for a little bit of knowledge on the .270 cartridge when it comes to hunting pig and deer! long shots? Stopping power? also looking to get a good suggestion on a affordable but not cheap rifle choice! any info. is great!! thanks, nick

05-15-2010, 4:48 AM
Low recoil, fast, wide selection of cartridges and bullet weights, ammo costs reasonable, suitable for any North American Big Game. It's basically a necked down 30-06.

I took one to Namibia with my .300WSM, it's a good all around caliber.

05-15-2010, 6:17 AM
Now I imagine you mean the .270 winchester not the .270 wsm. It is a great all around game cartridge. It is what I use to hunt deer and pig. Ammo is easily available so If you forget your ammo on your hunt you can find it at usually any sporting goods store. If you get into reloading you have many bullet weight options ranging from 90gr to 180gr. Long shots are fine, the cartridge can usually shoot farther and more accurate than most people are capable. The longest I take mine out to is 330 yds at my local range and it is very accurate. In my opinion there is only one overall hunting cartridge more versatile the 30-06.

As far as good affordable rifles. Savage is almost always the best bang for the buck. I love my Rem 700, check out winchester model 70 also. All good guns just different price points.

05-15-2010, 6:53 AM
The guys above me nailed it. For which bullet, if you don't reload go buy a few different boxes of different brands and weights and see which works best. I run 150 grain core lokt's. I haven't shot anything with mine yet but it was owned by Mike Kerley's dad (founder of Kerleys gun store in Cupertino) and he took it to africa to kill apparently a number of animals. Knowing that is cool to me when I carry it.

05-15-2010, 6:58 AM
I shot my first buck with a Ruger #1 chambered in .270win. Using 130-150gr bullets it is a fantastic rifle for pigs and deer. With 140gr Nosler bonded balistic tips out of my 26" barrel I get just under 3200fps, equal to many 7mm rem mag loads.
My first choice for a rifle would be a Remington 700 SPS you could upgrade the plastic stock and have a very nice rifle.

05-15-2010, 7:05 AM
It is a fantastic round, own it, and you'll love it.

It has everything you need in terms of accuracy, flat shooting for distance, and stopping power, plenty of manufacturers, bullet weights to choose from, and can be found on almost every shelf in gun stores across the US.

05-15-2010, 8:56 AM
I have a Weatherby MK. V in 270 win, and I absolutely love the caliber it is the only hunting rifle that I own. I have been shooting the Winchester XP3 at A-zone bucks out to about 400+ yrds and it did to much damage on the last 3 deer that I have shot. Going to have to hunt with the Rem. Core lokt bullets this year. I feel very comfortable hunting Elk with it in Oct in Colorado with the right ammo.

05-15-2010, 9:44 AM
I love my .270. It's a pre 64 Model 70 and I have smoked plenty of game with mine. I shoot 150 grain bullets out of it. Get one, you will have zero complaints.

Sideline Shooter
05-15-2010, 9:47 AM
Now were talking my flavor! .270 Winchester! I have a 1951 FN Belgium made commercial Mauser that I have had for 20 years. I have shot plenty of deer with it. And still going strong and accurate. I reload my own rounds and I use Sierra Gameking bullets. Very accurate and little meat damage. Your bullet choices are going to depend on how big your area deer are. My local deer are medium to once in a while big. I have used Hornady's SST bullets in another caliber and like them too.
Another good rifle choice is a Howa 1500. I (think) they also make the Japanese Weatherby or are owned by Weatherby. Some are set up as scope/rifle combos and have a nice Houge rubber stock available in black, dark green and tan. Your barrel choice is going to depend on if your hunting in the open mountains or in the forest. You may want a shorter carbine style rifle. A longer barrel usually gives your bullets more velocity for longer range shots and more power.

05-15-2010, 6:30 PM
I have a sporterized Mauser in .270 Win. I'm happy with the cartridge. The rifle's a bit heavy, but recoil is manageable. It's become my go-to rifle for any big game trip.

As far as rifles go, Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard is a good choice. Tikka offers real good value. I tend to favor Savage for some reason. Really, lots of good choices out there.

05-15-2010, 7:03 PM
A fine and proven round. I have a pre-64 M70 chambered for it. I've never been partial to it (I like bigger bullets), but nobody will ever call you wrong on most NA big game (excl. big bears and maybe moose).

05-15-2010, 7:10 PM
I would definetly choose that caliber for anything. I would look at a Tikka T3 or Rem 700 SPS, probably your best value/price. My tikka is the 270 WSM, shoots great and a nice light rifle.

05-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Basspro has the Mossberg ATR on sale for $299.99

05-16-2010, 2:27 AM
nice hunting caliber, 130 or 150 grain standard factory loads are great. I'm partial to 130g nosler partitions.

05-16-2010, 7:24 AM
270 110 grain barns tsx 500 yard dear black bear dont stand a chance

05-16-2010, 7:56 AM
Everything I've ever shot with it died on the spot. Good cartridge choice for any where where your shots can be 50-300yrds. You can hold "on", granted pretty high on the back but still on (ie, no aiming at air) at 300m and still drill any California deer, bear, coyote, pig, elk, etc...

Use heavier bullets (150gr) with tough and thick skinned game (elk, pigs). Use modest bullets (130gr) with pretty much everything else.

Recoil is mild for a long action rifle. Mossberg makes inexpensive rifle/scope combos in .270 and I've seen them at Big5 lately for 399 with the scope.