PDA

View Full Version : So my Wife just made my week!

valkylrie
05-14-2010, 6:31 PM
She asked me to take her shooting this weekend! She has typically been very nervous of weapons of any type and especially guns. In the past she has gone to the range with me and tried to shoot but she was afraid of the guns, and disliked the recoil shooting my 9mm which is until recently the smallest caliber we owned in pistol form. A few months ago I talked her into buying a Sig Mosquito for herself and shooting with me. Yes, she got her own HSC, and DROSíd it herself. After our first trip to the range she seemed to like that much better and said she had a good time. Skeptical I didnít press the issue. If she doesnít enjoy it whatís the point?
I do occasionally travel and am away from home a night or two. I have expressed very gently my belief that police only clean up the aftermath rather than providing real protection. Sorry to any LEO, I have great respect for your position. This is simply how I feel. I do share with her information supporting my position about the need for her to be able to protect herself and our three children if I am not around or become unable to. I have always accepted her feelings as her feelings and I refuse to force my own upon her.
Well tonight she told me she would really enjoy going shooting again! I was floored, but did not question her motives. I simply said that would be Great!! We have made plans for Sunday afternoon, to go to the private range I belong to. I am nervous about trying to actually teach her to shoot; I donít mind drilling the safety aspect in. The accuracy parts do put me off, I want to keep her enjoying it and I want her to improve. I know me; I can become frustrated and may turn her off the idea. Ideally I would be able to find a female firearms instructor in the Riverside area and sign her up for at least the minimum Basic Pistol Course. If a female instructor is not available Iíd like to find one that caters to women. The fact is women are different form men.
If I am unable to find either of the two qualifications, I will see how this outing goes and then attempt to talk her into just the basic pistol course from a qualified instructor, not that I donít believe I could teach her but the relationship we share is a distraction and factor which should not in my opinion influence anything to do with firearms.
So I have a question does anyone know of a program or have an instructor in the Riverside area they could recommend for this situation?

Sajedene
05-14-2010, 6:50 PM
Yay! I am so happy for the both of you.

I love that you mentioned how you could be frustrated so would like to make sure she is in capable hands when it comes to learning accuracy. I hope you find someone who fits the bill.

In case you can't - just take it easy and even if it is baby steps it will be steps forward.

Have fun and range report!

Richie Caketown
05-14-2010, 8:07 PM
ahem........

pics

pullnshoot25
05-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Take a trip down to Oceanside and shoot with mmartin, she is certified as an instructor.

Paladin
05-15-2010, 8:23 AM
If she gets connected w/the Second Amendment Sisters (http://www.2asisters.org/), or the Liberty Belles (http://www.liberty-belles.org/), I'm confident she'll be able to find a good, competent female instructor in your area.

Re. introducing newbies, esp ladies, to shooting: IMO, starting w/a .22 is a must. It allows them to get over any emotional issues w/o also dealing w/muzzle blast and recoil, which can be intimidating in themselves. It allows newbies to see that guns aren't as intimidating as they thought. It allows them to learn the mechanics of operating and firing a gun w/o those other distractions.

I have Ring's Blue Guns and a Daisy pellet pistol that I use even before going to a live range to teach stance, grip, sight alignment, trigger control and SAFETY (muzzle and trigger finger discipline). Blue Guns (or ASP's Red Guns), are also great for drawing and firing during H2H training in street clothes. I also have a matching .22LR version of my 1911 that is great for teaching the operation and functioning of the 1911 before they also have to deal w/a .45's recoil and muzzle blast.

slobson
05-15-2010, 12:58 PM
you are wise indeed to be so self aware to the point of knowing your limitations and doing your best to insulate your relationship from any competitive/perfectionist/anal when it comes to accuracy tendencies. you and your wife can start on that side of shooting once she becomes proficient. and be careful what you wish for, as you wouldn't be the first to wish your significant other would take up shooting, only to be outshot by said lady once she catches the bug :eek:
congratulations!

Steyrlp10
05-17-2010, 2:18 PM
To the OP: congrats on being patient and supportive.

Aside from the other suggestions, see if there's a Women On Target program near you. If not, I'm sure there are female Calgunners on here who are willing to help your wife.

Best of luck to you!