PDA

View Full Version : any one gone to gun vault recently?

chiseenchinaman
05-14-2010, 3:21 PM
any one gun vault recently? do you know how much they have the stag lower for? they won't give the price over the phone, and i don't wanna drive from san leandro to there just to find out i can get a better deal from somewhere closer. thanks!

teflondog
05-14-2010, 3:33 PM
I didn't get a price check for the Stags but their Spikes Tactical lowers were $129.00 plus tax and dros.

chiseenchinaman
05-14-2010, 4:48 PM
i'd like to get a spikes, but my yankee hill upper won't match it. =( so i need the flat look of the stag.

advocatusdiaboli
05-14-2010, 5:47 PM
Gary gave me prices over the phone. It's hit or miss with the folks that work for him though.

chiseenchinaman
05-14-2010, 6:00 PM
lol, maybe i should keep calling and asking. haha jk

05-14-2010, 10:51 PM
... they won't give the price over the phone...

What's the secret ?

Why bother with a business that can't even be honest enough to give a price quote ?

I'd been there last year and saw an AK on the rack. I asked about the rifle and was told that it's a Rommy SAR-2, and the price of $1200. I was shocked at the price, but politely asked why the price is so high for an AK. The man simply replied that it's very rare and very high quality AK.

Yes, it's a SAR-2 from Century....

asme
05-14-2010, 10:57 PM
A month ago I bought a Stag lower there for $190 + tax on an open DROS.

Yowza, but it was there and now and I rationalized it as not having to pay shipping, FFL fees, and tax someplace else.

I'm not a fan of the matte finish, I'll trade you for a Spikes :D

chiseenchinaman
05-15-2010, 12:50 AM
thanks for the offer. i'd like to get a spikes, but my yankee hill upper won't match it. =(i think the spikes finish is the same as my si defense, so i need the flat look of the stag.

abusalim81
05-15-2010, 2:36 AM
Gun Vault sucks! They overcharge on anything they possibly can... Would never recommend anyone to them!

To put it in words of the comic book guy ~ "Worst store ever!"

nagorb
05-15-2010, 3:11 AM
I don't know about lowers but everything else I've checked you can find cheaper at City Arms.

THE 0NE
05-15-2010, 10:48 AM
What's the secret ?

Why bother with a business that can't even be honest enough to give a price quote ?

I'd been there last year and saw an AK on the rack. I asked about the rifle and was told that it's a Rommy SAR-2, and the price of $1200. I was shocked at the price, but politely asked why the price is so high for an AK. The man simply replied that it's very rare and very high quality AK.

Yes, it's a SAR-2 from Century....

the Ak that was for sale was a consignment. the price was set by the customer not the shop. well over a year ago right at the height of the rush.

1xoutlaw
05-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Gun Vault sucks! They overcharge on anything they possibly can... Would never recommend anyone to them!

To put it in words of the comic book guy ~ "Worst store ever!"

On a serious note i dont advise any calgunner to give them business at all!! they overcharge and customer service sucks! especially since they have this little fat mexican kid that works there that knows nothing about customer service or firearms... Ive had thee worst customer service there, i bought a pistol there as my first gun and there was some issue with the release of my firearm because they put some wrong information and lost my paperwork. On top of this i am 1hr away from there and all they did was just shrugged and told me they dont know why and what i can do... Then its been finally 1 month and still nothing.. BOTTOM LINE they messed up on the DROS which caused this nightmare! I clearly remember they tried to sell me a wasr-10 for $1500??

So what does this say about their customer service and prices?

abusalim81
05-15-2010, 11:25 AM
It says one thing and one thing only... Fu**em!

Spaceghost
05-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Wow guys, tell us what you really think, no sugar coating it.....

chiseenchinaman
05-15-2010, 11:53 AM
^^work there? i've never been there but it looks like theres an angry mob with pitch forks running around for yah. LOL

asme
05-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Now, for the record, just to dispel the mob a little, I've bought things from Gun Vault because they've been nice, attentive, and helpful, and I've never gotten any attitude from them. Sometimes they are a little more expensive than someone further away, but my time and gas are worth something.

nagorb
05-15-2010, 1:13 PM
While I agree they are expensive, I've never had customer service problems, usually the opposite.

xxINKxx
05-15-2010, 1:13 PM
any one gun vault recently? do you know how much they have the stag lower for? they won't give the price over the phone, and i don't wanna drive from san leandro to there just to find out i can get a better deal from somewhere closer. thanks!

Why not call these closer places you speak of first? And if the prices are great, go there instead...Seems alot easier

Driving alot farther to save a few bucks doesnt make up for the price of gas and time.

05-15-2010, 2:59 PM
You can always find a friendly local FFL and order all you need online. If you need to find a local FFL, I'd bet that other folks would have some good suggestions.

Cyc Wid It
05-15-2010, 7:13 PM
UG Imports in Fremont has competitive prices, and carries Stag lowers. Look on his site for the exact pricing. It may say not in stock, but I think he gets them in within a couple business days. You can shoot him a PM too.

speedracer
05-15-2010, 8:10 PM
I have NO affiliation with Bay Area Gun Vault.
Never had a problem with BAGV. Just remember THEIR attitude may reflect YOUR attitude. I don't have a problem if their prices are higher than others, recently I stopped by after a Cow Palace show. I picked up a few Magpul ASAP plates and a MS2 sling. Even after adding tax they were equal to ordering from a vendor(they were priced at BCM's sale price) and a LOT cheaper than at the show. I HIGHLY recommend supporting our local Gun shops, if WE don't they won't be around to get that part or accessory you have to have in case of emergency. Or do that PPT or order a nonstock firearm. How would you like it if your itrader feedback was displayed at the top of every ad and someone posts F$$K THEM because you wouldn't give them a deal on the 1 and only thing they bought from you. Not too fair huh??? As far as quotes over the phone, isn't it rude when they're busy and you've been waiting your turn and they keep getting pulled away to answer the phone for repeated phone quotes, yeah it's you the lazy A**clown who is phone shopping. You want the cheapest price spend time online, you want it NOW or actually see what it looks like in person visit BAGV or any local Gun shop or CALGUNS vendor. Quit WHINING.

Centurion_D
05-15-2010, 8:11 PM

Have you tried Irvington Arms in Fremont? Also Bullseye in Castro Valley. Bullseye would be the closest to you.

Gryff
05-15-2010, 8:16 PM

I find that their prices are usually nothing special. If they won't quote over the phone, save the gas and go somewhere local.

evolixsurf
05-15-2010, 8:25 PM
screw those guys! havent had good experiences...

unusedusername
05-15-2010, 8:57 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually like the BAGV.

Unlike a lot of other gun stores they actually keep the store clean. They use these things called "brooms" and "dustpans" that seem to be unknown objects to a few of the stores around here.

Sure, they might not have the best prices, but 90%+ of the time I'm in a gun shop I just drool anyways.

The fact that their store is clean gets me in the door, and they have managed to find about $2.5k of stuff that I never knew I needed... :38:

dfletcher
05-15-2010, 9:38 PM
I like BAGV. I think they have good prices on some things, high on others. And some of the high priced stuff I see is consignment, so I suspect the owners have a part in the pricing. Price isn't everything for me, but since we're talking cheap AR lowers I was at RCGE in Sac - $89.00 for a 5.56 type. Can't quite remember the brand, but it was a nice looking, even matte finish stripped lower.

chiseenchinaman
05-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Why not call these closer places you speak of first? And if the prices are great, go there instead...Seems alot easier

Driving alot farther to save a few bucks doesnt make up for the price of gas and time.

because i wanna find the best deal possible? O_o gotta shop around... to shop around.

MotherGunner
05-15-2010, 10:10 PM
www.ugimports.com and call it a day.

chiseenchinaman
05-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Have you tried Irvington Arms in Fremont? Also Bullseye in Castro Valley. Bullseye would be the closest to you.

i don't find irvington arms to have very good prices... last time i was there they tried to sell me a MI FF rail for a little over 300 O_O. but yeah, i know bullseye prices, i'm just shopping around.

chiseenchinaman
05-15-2010, 10:15 PM
www.ugimports.com and call it a day.

lol, we might have a winner.

thevic
05-15-2010, 11:06 PM
i like the gun vaults selection and the guys there are pretty good about stuff, i had one bad experience with a short fat guy that i prefer not to talk to anymore when i go there, but pretty decent place.

now golden state guns in san bruno...+1 for these people, never met anyone nicer than these folks. every time i walk in these guys are all happy and offering snacks..selection is like 10 rifles and some pistols which is terrible, but they will orde anything and is OLL frendly

Ronco
05-15-2010, 11:30 PM
PM this guy: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=226739

See what he can do for you. He has a ton of satisfied customers (see his iTrader).

05-16-2010, 12:04 AM
PM this guy: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=226739

See what he can do for you. He has a ton of satisfied customers (see his iTrader).

+1

David (dachan) also have FFL and his rate is pretty competitive. He does not charge for "Gun jail fee" like others when you need to have DROS.

Gryff
05-16-2010, 12:22 AM
He does not charge for "Gun jail fee" like others when you need to have DROS.

Just remember that all fees over $35 ($25 DROS + up to $10 dealer fee) for a PPT are ILLEGAL (this is crystal clear in the laws). About the only thing they can hit you with is a storage fee if you do not pick it up immediately after the 10 day wait is up.

gatdammit
05-16-2010, 12:31 AM
+1

David (dachan) also have FFL and his rate is pretty competitive. He does not charge for "Gun jail fee" like others when you need to have DROS.

+1 on Dachan! What city is BAGV in anyway? Never been there, but I need a MS2 sling.. so i might stop by.

05-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Just remember that all fees over $35 ($25 DROS + up to $10 dealer fee) for a PPT are ILLEGAL (this is crystal clear in the laws). About the only thing they can hit you with is a storage fee if you do not pick it up immediately after the 10 day wait is up.

Go ahead... report them. :D

JayBeeJay
05-16-2010, 4:59 AM
+1 on Dachan! What city is BAGV in anyway? Never been there, but I need a MS2 sling.. so i might stop by.

BAGV is in Mountain View...+2 for UGImports!

SJgunguy24
05-16-2010, 6:37 AM
Sometimes phone shopping won't get you the best prices. I find that walking into a place, CASH in hand, and a positive attitude will give you the best results.

To the OP, seriously, San Leandro to Mt View isn't that far. Who you would try to work a deal for, some nameless voice demanding your best deal? Or some dude who walks in with a pocket full of money and a big smile, who took the time to come to your place?

Gryff
05-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Go ahead... report them. :D

No, even better, do what I've posted on another thread. Get the to start the DROS on the computer. Then when they ask for an illegal amount, say "No thanks" and walk out. DROS is not complete, so the gun is still yours (or the seller's), and they've just incurred a $25 non-refundable charge from the State.

Obviously, the other person involved in the PPT needs to know ahead of time that you are going to make them toe the line.

To the OP, seriously, San Leandro to Mt View isn't that far.

That's a two-hours roundtrip in Bay Area traffic. If the guy won't quote on the phone, and the store is known for high prices, then you better be in a "Just want to go anyway" mood or it isn't worth it.

loudninja
05-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Sometimes phone shopping won't get you the best prices. I find that walking into a place, CASH in hand, and a positive attitude will give you the best results.

To the OP, seriously, San Leandro to Mt View isn't that far. Who you would try to work a deal for, some nameless voice demanding your best deal? Or some dude who walks in with a pocket full of money and a big smile, who took the time to come to your place?

+1, cash talks.

igorts
05-16-2010, 11:02 AM
I've done a few PTP at gun vault, no problems encountered.

thedrickel
05-16-2010, 11:09 AM
No, even better, do what I've posted on another thread. Get the to start the DROS on the computer. Then when they ask for an illegal amount, say "No thanks" and walk out. DROS is not complete, so the gun is still yours (or the seller's), and they've just incurred a $25 non-refundable charge from the State.

Obviously, the other person involved in the PPT needs to know ahead of time that you are going to make them toe the line.

That's a two-hours roundtrip in Bay Area traffic. If the guy won't quote on the phone, and the store is known for high prices, then you better be in a "Just want to go anyway" mood or it isn't worth it.

WTF . . .

Have you done that before? I didn't think they asked for more than $35 for PPT if/until the buyer doesn't pick up by the 13th day after the start of the DROS. They have explained before that you get a 3 day grace period before they charge any storage fees. I don't think they even enforce this rule very strictly. If you ask nicely they will probably waive it.

Gryff
05-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Have you done that before? I didn't think they asked for more than $35 for PPT if/until the buyer doesn't pick up by the 13th day after the start of the DROS. They have explained before that you get a 3 day grace period before they charge any storage fees. I don't think they even enforce this rule very strictly. If you ask nicely they will probably waive it.

No, I have never needed to do it with BAGV. The one PPT I did there went smoothly and all fees were appropriate.

I did play that card with LC Action in San Jose, though. I bought a Glock through the GSSF program on the last day of the old prices (I still had one of the expiring GSSF certificates). When we got done with everything, they said they wouldn't honor the certificate and wanted to charge me the new price.

I said, "Nevermind, I don't want the gun at the higher price." They realized that the DROS had already cost them $25, so they backed off and gave me the certificate price.

It's not a particularly nice card to play, but it is good to have at least a little power when dealing with dealers that don't want to play fair.

TonyM
05-16-2010, 11:24 AM
they won't give the price over the phone

This is why I never went to the San Jose Gun Exchange. They may have had inventory, and better prices, but they wouldn't even tell me what the tagged price was on an item, so I didn't bother driving the extra 30 minutes to see.

I've also been known to drive 300 miles for a decent deal, to make new contacts and buy several guns at once. Sometimes not even the best deal, its more than just the cheapest price to me.

Time + Gas == no big deal for me when I drive 140 miles a day to get to and from work, especially when I can gain a good, friendly relationship that will last for years.

IIRC, the BAGV spawned from the SJ Gun Exchange, so maybe the owners took some of the bad habits from SJGE, I know there were plenty of angry villagers with torches and pitchforks for that place.

Spaceghost
05-16-2010, 12:14 PM
I would never have anything to do with the gun business. Best way to ruin the fun in a hobby, make a job out of it.

^^work there? i've never been there but it looks like theres an angry mob with pitch forks running around for yah. LOL

Backinblack1234
05-16-2010, 3:50 PM
Not to bash them but the last time I was in there, it was like a bunch of Union Workers standing around. There were like 5 workers bsing etc and I saw a Mosin Nagant for $250 and it wasn't even a rare one. I missed the original lay out of the store when they first opened.

05-16-2010, 4:04 PM
Not to bash them but the last time I was in there, it was like a bunch of Union Workers standing around. There were like 5 workers bsing etc and I saw a Mosin Nagant for $250 and it wasn't even a rare one. I missed the original lay out of the store when they first opened.

5 workers for a shop ? $250 Mosin Nagant ? $1200 Rommy SAR-2 ? $1500 WASR-10 ?

It takes 3 engineers to install a light bulb. One does the installation and the other 2 would argue on which is the right way to install the light bulb. :D

No wonder they have out of this world prices to make up for all the overheads.

cantony
05-16-2010, 4:58 PM
+1, cash talks.

Cash talks loudly at the BAGV. Their business model is very simple, give great service to the cash rich first time buyer who all work within 5 miles of them and over charge them by 30-50%. Think about it, a typical Apple or Google engineer has several thousand shares and only needs to sell 4-5 to fund a $1k purchase.

pointedstick
05-16-2010, 5:00 PM
Positive experiences:
- I bought a Ruger Mark III at a very reasonable price there, but I'll admit it was one of those "5% off and we pay the sales tax" days.
- Once when I got my car stuck in the place next door when they chained up the lot I had parked in (oops, my bad), one of the employees drove his car out of his space so I could drive out over a wheelstop. Funny story.

Negative experiences:
- Outrageous transfer fees if you're coming from out of state and need to send your guns from store to store. It came to more than $150 for two guns.
- Pushy employees. This one guy seems either bored or stoned 100% of the time.

Meh, I mostly shop for gun parts online anyway.

Think about it, a typical Apple or Google engineer has several thousand shares and only needs to sell 4-5 to fund a $1k purchase.

Ain't it the truth. But more like 30 or 40 shares, especially in the case of Google! I mean, 2,000 shares of Google works out to more than a million dollars.

Buddhabelly
05-16-2010, 5:02 PM
Cash talks loudly at the BAGV. Their business model is very simple, give great service to the cash rich first time buyer who all work within 5 miles of them and over charge them by 30-50%. Think about it, a typical Apple or Google engineer has several thousand shares and only needs to sell 4-5 to fund a $1k purchase.

Goggle guy will only need to sell 2 shares. :)

The weasels there don't shoot anyway...

Cyc Wid It
05-16-2010, 8:57 PM

I never understood this "no quotes over the phone" and "have a great attitude/kiss ***/show cash in hand/buy something every time you're there or PPT just to show support" crap. This attitude does not apply to any other type of retail business.

SJgunguy24
05-16-2010, 9:25 PM
I never understood this "no quotes over the phone" and "have a great attitude/kiss ***/show cash in hand/buy something every time you're there or PPT just to show support" crap. This attitude does not apply to any other type of retail business.

It's called "probing" by your competitors. It happens more then you know. Guns are a hard commodity and have a profit margin to work with. Some vendors get better deals then others when dealing with manufacturers. While one shop can't fathom selling "Gun X" for 499 and make anything off that deal. The shop selling "Gun X" at 499 makes up for that in volume or just gets a better deal.

Now if I owned a shop and I had a guy drive across the bay to check my prices out, I wanna make that dude happy. I want him to spend every penny he has in my shop, if I can cut a deal here or there for cash then I'll do it. Look at gun shows, everybody knows cash is king.

Acaron76
05-16-2010, 11:08 PM
I agree with everyone, avoid that place. I went in there and was not helped for 20 minutes while one of the guys sat there eating a sandwich and they only give out prices over the phone half of the time, it's really annoying, not to mention that they overcharge. Avoid it.

battleship
05-16-2010, 11:09 PM
I recommend Triple A's sporting goods in Vallejo, straight up highway 80 and exit Georgia street thats not to far from San Leandro.

Themandalorian
05-16-2010, 11:16 PM
I like them, everyone has been nice to me. Offering a Spikes Tactical Complete AR 15 for 900 dollars OTD, tax, dros and everything, now granted it was a sale but how is that not a good deal? Romy GP 1975 AK for 600 OTD, hows that bad?

bwiese
05-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Several comments:

1. The Bay Area Gun Vault is run by some nice guys. I think they generally get things
right, a lot of folks are happy with them. Sure every once in awhile every gun shop
mungs a DROS, and some people just can't be pleased anytime.

2. Gunshops don't set the price on consignment guns, they just get a markup. Blame
the seller for pricing, not the gunshop.

3. One or two nice BAGV staffer have worked at SJ Gun Exchange; the former is not a
"spinoff" of the latter. Both places are good gunshops with nice folks and nice guns. In
fact, we're fortunate in the Bay Area to have quite a few OLL/black-rifle-aware FFLs
(shout out to brother Calguns sponsors City Arms, Irvington Arms, and Bullseye too!)

Count your blessings - consider your luck if you're way up north and only have Jones Fort
and Big 5 as your gunshops!!

4. Gunshops are not charities. That gun on the shelf takes allocated heat/light bills, rent,
staff time, state disability insurance/workman's comp, insurance, etc. It's called running a
real business - and it's a gunshop in CA so there are elevated thresholds just to break even.
Most people beyotching about prices have never run a business, esp in CAm or are idiotically
comparing gunshop overhead in, say, NV with that of CA.

If you don't like the price, find it elsewhere if you can. Capitalism works. I'm fairly sure the
staff of BAGV are capitalists and not socialists.

Yute
05-16-2010, 11:50 PM
I like them. Went to find a S&W MP-15-22, which they didn't have in stock but quoted me a perfectly reasonable price, close to MSRP. They were the fixed stock variant, which I didn't mind. The shop told me they were a couple days out, but I would have first dibs on any that would come in. Put down a small down payment on it and went on my merry way - they called me the next stay saying they got the shipment early! Went in and did the paperwork with no problems. After seeing how the stock was had just one pin to keep it fixed, I even asked if they could pull the pin off the stock for me so it would be collapsible again - they said no problem, they would get their armorer to look at it. 10 days later I picked it up again with no issues - they had also pulled the pin out of the stock and didn't charge me for it.

They were also very helpful with trying to help me find a pistol for my girlfriend. A pleasant experience for me, I'll probably be picking up a handgun from them in a week or so.

Themandalorian
05-18-2010, 6:06 AM
For the gun shops I have been to they've been great. Most shops I go to see an 18 year old kid and completely ignore me, not there

teflondog
05-18-2010, 9:06 AM
For me it's always been hit or miss at the BAGV. When the owner (Gary) is there, I always get prompt and excellent service from the staff. When he's out to lunch, the employees aren't as helpful. If I'm looking to purchase a gun, I'd call first and talk to Gary to schedule a time to come in. I only deal with him directly now since he knows his stuff.

As a side note: When I picked up a gun after the 10 day wait, it was already cleaned and lubed. I was also told that if I had any problems with the gun, I should bring it back and they'd take care of it. That makes me a returning customer.

Prices aren't everything to me. I'd rather pony up a little more cash for good service than to put up with ignorant staff just for a good deal. Not to get off topic, but I've had a lot of bad experiences at Target Masters. I won't shop there again even if their prices are usually the best.