PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to take down politcal signs and use them at the range

stormy_clothing
05-14-2010, 4:08 PM
Yesterday while walking I noticed quite a flurry of political signs stapled, taped and otherwise plastered on the corner of an empty lot.

Since many of them are for contradictory candidates I assume they are placed up without permission of the lot owners.

On further inspection I noticed some of them are made out of the same corrugated plastic my targets are and they are certainly large enough to shoot at.

But is it legal to remove them ?

Like these

http://www.robinsonoaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/14sign_road.jpg

stphnman20
05-14-2010, 4:11 PM
haha! I was thinking the same thing!

winnre
05-14-2010, 4:13 PM
AFTER the election the candidates are required to remove them. You can always call to volunteer!

Bill Carson
05-14-2010, 4:34 PM
most indoor ranges have rules that read , no pictures of political figures for targets. otherwise someone might make a killing selling certain ones

Jason_2111
05-14-2010, 4:35 PM
I'd suggest not shooting them where they are, but taking them elsewhere. :D

G17GUY
05-14-2010, 4:37 PM
"Political signs must comply with the height, location, and safety requirements of this chapter and Code. To be exempt political signs shall not be displayed on traffic or street signs, utility poles, public property, parks, or rights-of-way or on private property without the owners' permission and shall be removed within five (5) days after the election. Signs placed in violation of the provisions of this subsection may be removed without notice."

This is out of my local Municipal code. You should have something similar. So 5 days after the election, anyone can take the sign.

Vacaville
05-14-2010, 4:39 PM
My neighbor just put a bunch all over his lawn. Wouldn't mind donating some to your cause.

GuyW
05-14-2010, 6:24 PM
If its not your property (land) you have no right to take someone else's property (signs).

Almost every election cycle, some over-zealous political worker gets caught stealing the opposition's signs, and sometimes prosecuted for theft....

DarthSean
05-14-2010, 6:58 PM
Maybe call up a few candidates and offer to put a few signs in your yard so you have some extra ones after the elections.

postal
05-14-2010, 7:46 PM
Use it as a target holder. Staple a target on the sign itself. No more "political trouble."

a1c
05-14-2010, 7:49 PM
Unless they were planted on your property without your permission, that would be a dumb, illegal and frankly rather antidemocratic move on your part.

There'll be plenty of those signs for the taking when the election is over.

I'm also not sure why you posted this in this forum.

advocatusdiaboli
05-14-2010, 8:30 PM

"We're gonna howl at the moon, shoot out the light
It's a small town Saturday night"

Me neither. Just bored trolling the intertubes I guess.

OleCuss
05-14-2010, 8:47 PM
The Meg Whitman/NRA thread touched on the subject earlier. You might have chosen this forum due to the fact that the other thread is also on this forum?

And yeah, I can understand the boredom part.

BKinzey
05-14-2010, 8:47 PM
Quote:
"Political signs must comply with the height, location, and safety requirements of this chapter and Code. To be exempt political signs shall not be displayed on traffic or street signs, utility poles, public property, parks, or rights-of-way or on private property without the owners' permission and shall be removed within five (5) days after the election. Signs placed in violation of the provisions of this subsection may be removed without notice."
This is out of my local Municipal code. You should have something similar. So 5 days after the election, anyone can take the sign.

This.

If they are placed on public property I consider it a civic duty to remove them.

zinfull
05-14-2010, 8:59 PM
I seem to remember that on political signs it is more than just theft. It has to to with violation of political free speech and it is taken very serious.

jerry

tuolumnejim
05-14-2010, 9:06 PM
Unless they were planted on your property without your permission, that would be a dumb, illegal and frankly rather antidemocratic move on your part.

There'll be plenty of those signs for the taking when the election is over.

I'm an anti democrat, we live in a Representative Republic. :43:

freonr22
05-14-2010, 9:17 PM
Does it matter if the open lot is "posted"?

Rob454
05-14-2010, 9:44 PM
AFTER the election the candidates are required to remove them. You can always call to volunteer!

The thing is that they dont get rid of them They end up staying on fences or lawns for weeks.

Ron-Solo
05-15-2010, 9:15 PM
Maybe call up a few candidates and offer to put a few signs in your yard so you have some extra ones after the elections.

This is what I do all the time. I usually get a bunch and only use a few, so I have extras. Peel and Stick "Shoot-n-See" targets work great.

HokeySon
05-15-2010, 9:48 PM
the candidates often hire companies to put up and take down the signs. They like vacant properties and real estate signs. Its almost comical sometimes. a city attorney candidate in my town hired a company that put up a bunch of signs illegally.... not so good for a city attorney candidate ... he lost.

AlexDD
05-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Some cities have ordinances that you can not take signs from the public right of way yourself. You have to call Public Works instead.

Cobrafreak
05-15-2010, 11:26 PM
most indoor ranges have rules that read , no pictures of political figures for targets. otherwise someone might make a killing selling certain ones

I hope Bin Laden and Adolph Hitler are not considered "political figures" or I'm in trouble. ;)

BKinzey
05-16-2010, 12:24 AM
At the indoor range I most often go to they have rules against pictures of anyone used as targets. Bin Laden included. They didn't want the hassle of a "approved for shooting" list. People do bring in pics of terrorists, politicians, exes, and the like. Some get pissy, most understand once it's explained.

KylaGWolf
05-16-2010, 12:10 PM
It is not legal for you to remove any political sign that is not your property unless you are a volunteer removing them AFTER the election.

stormy_clothing
05-17-2010, 1:25 PM
So many people straying so far off the first post, dang!

Doug L
05-17-2010, 1:32 PM
...But is it legal to remove them ?

If they belong to a Democrat or other looney, left-wing nut case...yes.