PDA

View Full Version : Wood AR lower?

gun toting monkeyboy
05-14-2010, 3:26 PM
Ok, I was reading that post in another section about making receivers out of airsoft guns. I know that is total bunk. But would it be possible to make an AR lower out of wood? I know it would have to be significantly thicker in some places for strength. But I am trying to think of a reason it can't be done. After all, it is just a holder for the various parts that make the upper receiver work. What do you guys think?

Noobert
05-14-2010, 3:27 PM
Been done before @ weaponeer forum, didn't hold up

echoarms
05-14-2010, 4:02 PM
And people have been making guns out of air soft, in theory. The ATF seized their inventory.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/02/28/airsoft-gun-seizure-apparently-toys-can-be-real-guns/

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/agents-of-incompetence-atf-dodges-foia-still-has-seized-bb-guns-part-iv/

gun toting monkeyboy
05-14-2010, 4:21 PM
And people have been making guns out of air soft, in theory. The ATF seized their inventory.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/02/28/airsoft-gun-seizure-apparently-toys-can-be-real-guns/

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/agents-of-incompetence-atf-dodges-foia-still-has-seized-bb-guns-part-iv/

No, they have not been making guns out of airsoft receivers. That was the gist of the second article you linked to. The ATF wound up looking like fools, and had to give them their inventory back.

slappomatt
05-14-2010, 4:26 PM
why couldnt you make an airsoft into a real gun? you can make a blank peice of metal into a gun without any paper work.

reidnez
05-14-2010, 7:45 PM
why couldnt you make an airsoft into a real gun? you can make a blank peice of metal into a gun without any paper work.

You can make a Fiero into a Lamborghini, too. You can make an M16 FCG, mill out your AR lower and have yourself a machine gun. It's not a question of whether it's physically possible, but whether someone without a machine shop and a degree in engineering could pull it off. The Fox News article quoted a "firearms expert" as stating that 'all you have to do is drill one hole.' I have to call BS on that assertion; I think the designers are a little smarter than to make it that easy.

Cokebottle
05-14-2010, 7:51 PM
Been done before @ weaponeer forum, didn't hold up
This.

He ended up making one that did hold up out of cutting board plastic.

shark92651
05-14-2010, 7:55 PM
No, they have not been making guns out of airsoft receivers. That was the gist of the second article you linked to. The ATF wound up looking like fools, and had to give them their inventory back.

I got an email from the owner of that store just a couple weeks ago and he said their FOIA request to the ATF came back and said that "minimal work" means up to 8 hours in a machine shop! I'm sure many of us could easily finish a real 80% receiver in far less time than that! This is ridiculous...

yock
05-14-2010, 9:08 PM
I got an email from the owner of that store just a couple weeks ago and he said their FOIA request to the ATF came back and said that "minimal work" means up to 8 hours in a machine shop! I'm sure many of us could easily finish a real 80% receiver in far less time than that! This is ridiculous...

With a real machine shop I could build one out of a chunk of aluminum in about that much time

Cokebottle
05-14-2010, 9:12 PM
With a real machine shop I could build one out of a chunk of aluminum in about that much time
Easy peasy....

Just machine away anything that doesn't look like an AR lower :D

Richie Caketown
05-14-2010, 9:28 PM
Did anyone else see how that ATF agent inserted the mag into the AR receiver?

limitdown
05-16-2010, 6:23 AM
Even a 50 gallon aluminum trash can be turned into an M16 lower receiver in under 8 hours.

A small homemade furnace can easily get above the 1200F required to melt most aluminum alloys.
The molten aluminum would be poured into a rectangular mould block
After the block cools, slap it into a properly programmed CNC machine and push a button.
1hr later, voila!

So in the interest of public safety, we should start banning all metal trash cans!:banghead: