PDA

View Full Version : Truck Vault/SUV Storage/Transport

crs1
03-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Anyone have any experience with the truck vaults or some other kind of in vehicle safe? I am looking for something more secure for SUV transport. The Truck Vault brand is MDF and expensive. I figured for that price I can make one myself and shroud it in metal.

xenophobe
03-12-2006, 8:22 PM
How much did you want it to hold?

I was just thinking about getting something that would hold a couple rifles and some gear... like a Weatherguard Pack Rat or something, but that's quite expensive too.

50BMGBOB
03-12-2006, 9:26 PM
I saw a write up that showed one in a pickup wit lots of room for a 50BMG but not cheap. To many other things on my list before that.

crs1
03-13-2006, 4:44 PM
Just want something secure for the back of an SUV that would hold a couple of rifles/handguns so there is no question whether they are "locked up". The weatherguard packrats would be perfect if they were aluminum...They are ridiculously heavy.

SkyStorm82
03-13-2006, 5:59 PM
You know I'm interested in this too. As it is now I have to cover everything with a poncho. This goes for things other than weapons also. I like it to be out of site, out of mind.

crs1
03-14-2006, 4:17 PM
The weatherguard packrat drawers are perfect...But check out their website...Damn those things are heavy!

I may have to go custom.

Patrick Aherne
03-14-2006, 9:09 PM
I just got through purchasing a double drawer magnum model for a new department Expedition. Cost about $2100, but very nice.

bbq_ribs
03-14-2006, 9:51 PM
$2100! holy cow.

I kind of like the Land Rovers for this because there are several models of slide-in shelves that will fit right in the back.

I have a 1994 Explorer and would love to find some shelving for the back.. but anything over $1200 is kinda pushing it for me. hehe. If it costs as much as my vehicle does, it's too damn expensive.

crs1
03-16-2006, 5:52 PM
I just found a series by Kalispel Case that looks cool...www.tacticalstoragesolutions.com....

I'll call to see how much they want.

ivorykid
03-17-2006, 8:12 PM
My pop got a Truck Vault for is Yukon LX. It is a side-by-side model. My mom, dad, and I go cowboy shooting quite frequently, and the TV is AWSOME! It carries 3 Winchester Model 97s, 3 '73s, 1 '66, 2 Ruger Vaqueros in .357, 2 Vaqueros in .32 (mom's), 4 Colt SAAs, and lots of extras like gun shotgun belts, holsters, tools, ammo quite regularly.

Everyone who sees it is blown away by it. Unless the rear hatch is open and the drawers are open, you would NEVER know that it is even there.

We once got stopped by a local PD for [caugh, caugh] speeding [caugh] and the cop asked about our crazy clothes. One thing led to anther, and pretty soon we were showing the officer the vault and the toys. He was extatic and wanted to get one of his own. I think that he forgot what he even stopped us for as he waived and said, "have a nice day. Good luck! Thanks for showing me the Truck Vault and those cowboy guns!"

Bottom line: I really like it.

crs1
03-18-2006, 11:48 AM
It just seems expensive for something made out of mdf (wood):(

WhiteSands
03-20-2006, 3:11 PM
My mom, dad, and I go cowboy shooting quite frequently
:eek:

Is shooting Cowboys legal?

xacto
05-22-2006, 2:37 PM
IK, The truck vault looks like the best box out there. I built plywood coffins an sheet metal boxes. They did the job ok, but the TV looks just right. As for the money thing...What is it worth to keep your guns out of the hands of the scummbag theives?

Yute
05-22-2006, 6:17 PM
I have one of their bedvaults. The MDF may be wood, but it is very very tough wood. Built like a brick. Very well made.

Rob454
05-25-2006, 3:55 PM
I made my own from steel. i made it big enough to hold 3 rifles and a couple of pistols and ammo. Foam lined etc. Im gonna have to make another one cause the truck it was in got stolen. No guns were inside. My buddy tried to break in to it once cause i bet him he wasnt able to. It took him 25 minutes before he gave up. And he really tried to bust it open. That was on the concept version. I jsut wanted to see if it could be busted open so I made a mini version of what I wanted bolted it to the garage floor and let him go to town.
We were able to open it after we torched the area around the lock.
Rob

vampLer
01-24-2010, 5:05 PM
Sorry to resurrect dead thread but this looks cool.

http://www.toughstuffproducts.com/vaults/index.html

Kerplow
01-25-2010, 1:49 PM
I made my own from steel. i made it big enough to hold 3 rifles and a couple of pistols and ammo. Foam lined etc. Im gonna have to make another one cause the truck it was in got stolen. No guns were inside. My buddy tried to break in to it once cause i bet him he wasnt able to. It took him 25 minutes before he gave up. And he really tried to bust it open. That was on the concept version. I jsut wanted to see if it could be busted open so I made a mini version of what I wanted bolted it to the garage floor and let him go to town.
We were able to open it after we torched the area around the lock.
Rob

any chance you got any pics of that before it got ripped??

i was actually just recently contemplating fabbing up something myself to fit in the club cab space in my truck. nobody ever sits back there and i would love to be able to have a nice locking box back there to hold a few rifles, pistols and ammunition.

was thinking about 1"x1" tubular steel with sheet metal on the outside, with a padlock system similair to what you see on a RIGID job box. do up the inside nicely with some upholestery and make sure everything stays in place.

bolt it to the floor and bob's your uncle.

i dont like the idea of keeping them in the bed.