PDA

View Full Version : I am curious what evidence the NRA uses to support this claim

hill billy
05-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Protect Our Second Amendment Rights – Vote Freedom First on June 8
The NRA needs your help – on Tuesday, June 8 – to protect your gun rights and hunting heritage in California.

There has been much interest in the Second Amendment positions of the candidates seeking the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate to challenge anti-gun incumbent Senator Barbara Boxer. Two candidates – Carly Fiorina and Chuck DeVore – strongly support our Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Unlike Barbara Boxer, Carly Fiorina is a gun owner, proud NRA Member, and strong Second Amendment supporter. She would give California’s millions of gun owners a strong voice in the U.S. Senate. Chuck DeVore is also a proud supporter of gun rights and had a solid pro-gun voting record in the California State Assembly.

In contrast, the other candidate – Tom Campbell – has cast many anti-gun votes during his political career. In 1993, when then-President Bill Clinton launched an all-out assault on the Second Amendment, then-Congressman Tom Campbell supported a ban on the purchase, sale and transfer of commonly-owned semi-automatic rifles (mislabeled “assault weapons”). He also voted to impose a national waiting period for handgun purchases and against establishing an instant check system as an alternative. Even worse, Campbell voted to regulate gun shows out of existence. And if that’s not bad enough, he voted against allowing off-duty and retired police officers to carry concealed firearms!

California gun owners need to have a clear choice in the general election against anti-gun incumbent Barbara Boxer. If Tom Campbell is the Republican nominee, you will unfortunately be stuck with the status quo.

It is critical for you to be aware of the differences between these candidates before voting in the Republican primary election. Encourage all of your family, friends, and fellow gun owners to join you at the polls on Tuesday, June 8 and remember to Vote Freedom First!

Where are they getting the idea that she is a strong 2A supporter?

Shotgun Man
05-14-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't know but I'm curious too.

ETA: It would be awesome if Boxer hit the road.

bwiese
05-14-2010, 12:42 PM
For this to have occurred, she probably had to actually fill out the questionnaire, with an acceptably score - and apparently bought a membership to boot.

Certainly different behavior than Steve Poizner and Meg Whitman.

Legasat
05-14-2010, 12:53 PM
She's probably just pandering to a group she "thinks" can win her some votes. I guess I appreciate the gesture (Joining NRA), but from everything I have read, it's a hollow gesture. She IS a politician...

It's Chuck all the way for me.

OleCuss
05-14-2010, 1:11 PM
I dunno. . . Fiorina really may be someone who has been frequenting ranges for a long time. She may be a died-in-the-wool supporter of the RKBA. In this area Sarah Palin's endorsement actually does mean something as Ms. Palin has know Fiorina for several years and may have a very good idea as to Fiorina's true beliefs in the area of RKBA.

I think I'd still prefer to see DeVore win, but without good evidence to the contrary I'm going to assume that Fiorina is a true believer in the RKBA.

I'll take 'most anyone over Boxer. . .

Edit: I'd note that it is highly likely that the NRA interviewed her and likely those who know of her. They will not lightly support someone of her prominence.

bwiese
05-14-2010, 1:29 PM
I
Edit: I'd note that it is highly likely that the NRA interviewed her and likely those who know of her. They will not lightly support someone of her prominence.

Very true, this was an official communique - something formal had to have happened.

nick
05-14-2010, 1:43 PM
At this point, I don't even care. I'm voting against Boxer, anyway, unless they find someone even worse than Boxer to unseat Boxer.

FirstFlight
05-14-2010, 2:15 PM
At this stage of the game I am sure the NRA has interviewed Fiorina. I still haven't seen anything "official" from the NRA about her. The NRA website at www.nrapvf.org hasen't posted any grades/endorsements for the Cali campaign yet. The only thing I have seen, on other threads of this forum, is Sarah Palin's endorsement of Fiorina where she says "Fiorina is a NRA member and both she and her husband have guns". I do believe Palin has know Fiorina for sometime and has the inside as to what is going on. So... Dammit, I wish the NRA would post its Cali grades soon. The suspense is killing me!

greasemonkey
05-14-2010, 2:31 PM
How long ago did she buy a membership? If she's been a Life Member and active participant for a few decades, that'd speak well; I don't think that's the case here, though.

FirstFlight
05-14-2010, 2:39 PM
She's probably just pandering to a group she "thinks" can win her some votes. I guess I appreciate the gesture (Joining NRA), but from everything I have read, it's a hollow gesture. She IS a politician...

Fiorina a politician? Last I heard she has never run or held a political office. She is from the private sector. Not saying that this isn't a plus. Look how the politicians have absolutely screwed up this state and country!
These career politicians have got to go. Lets replace them with Joe Blow (no political experience) Americans types and try that for a while! The founding fathers seemed to think that would work.

1st5
05-14-2010, 3:03 PM
Vote for Chuck DeVore. He is the only conservative in the race.

Meplat
05-14-2010, 3:35 PM
They are all politicians

warbird
05-14-2010, 10:55 PM
I have nothing against her but to rise up from the rank of scretary to CEO she had to know her way around politics so don't kid yourself. as to her stance on rights almost anyone except Tom Campbell is better than Boxer. Right now she looks like the best candidate to upset Boxer's reign but like Meg Whitman she is a corporate CEO of a huge company (HP). I would personally take length of time owning guns over length of time as a NRA member. A lot of people join the NRA just to say they belong and never own a gun for whatever reason.

cjsv
05-15-2010, 6:53 AM
She has 100% NRA rating and has solid, conservative credentials and endorsements from a variety of conservative groups.

cmaynes
05-15-2010, 7:09 AM
Unseating Boxer is the goal- she is obviously not a friend of gun owners, but it is her seniority that gives her power. Another Democrat winning her seat would be almost as good as a Republican winning.

I guess thats realpolitik.

postal
05-15-2010, 4:51 PM
Politicians, and those who want to be politicians learn to LIE. Did someone not tell you?

So what she filled out a questionaire. If you cant believe everything a politician says, why would you believe what they wrote on a questionaire? Was the info on the questionaire subject to penalty under perjury? Is ANYTHING a politician says held to the same perjury standard? No?

Show me pics of her gun collection, and documents proving she purchased them, and when. Or any other Legal document from BATF/DOJ stating she is a gun owner. Otherwise it's as believable as hillary klinton saying her grandaddy taught her how to shoot behind the woodshed when she was a little girl.

Havent many people here heard of the joy in giving a gift NRA membership to an anti gun politician? It's not a new idea- Funny as HECK! but not new.... it's happened. Anyone could have bought her an NRA membership as a joke if nothing else. Just having a membership does NOT mean they believe in 2A.

fineswine is a gun owner too- she has a ccw remember?

HokeySon
05-15-2010, 5:20 PM

Not hollow. If the NRA delivers the votes, and she wins, she MUST remember the endorsement. Not overtly perhaps, but she is beholden nonetheless. It gets the NRA a seat at the table.

As Don Corleone would say: "I an happy to do you this favor, but someday I may call upon you to do a favor for me........"

But I know nothing about her still.

383green
05-15-2010, 5:20 PM
Watching HP's decline with Fiorina at the helm doesn't lead me to want her running a book club, let alone sitting behind a senator's desk. But maybe even she would be an improvement over Boxer?

Blech.

Cokebottle
05-15-2010, 5:27 PM
Fiorina a politician? Last I heard she has never run or held a political office. She is from the private sector. Not saying that this isn't a plus. Look how the politicians have absolutely screwed up this state and country!
Carly is a freaking Kennedy.

She's the late Ted Kennedy's sister in law.

Cokebottle
05-15-2010, 5:28 PM
Watching HP's decline with Fiorina at the helm doesn't lead me to want her running a book club, let alone sitting behind a senator's desk. But maybe even she would be an improvement over Boxer?

Blech.
Ralph Nader would be an improvement over Boxer.

At least he'd have voted against the bailout for GM ;)

Cokebottle
05-15-2010, 5:29 PM
She has 100% NRA rating and has solid, conservative credentials and endorsements from a variety of conservative groups.
Arnold looked pretty good too before he turned over the keys to the Capitol to Maria.

KylaGWolf
05-16-2010, 11:25 AM
How long ago did she buy a membership? If she's been a Life Member and active participant for a few decades, that'd speak well; I don't think that's the case here, though.

I look at it like this even if she just bought her membership yesterday there is no way to gauge how pro 2A she really is. Example I have been very pro 2A for many years but finally joined the NRA last December. Part of my reason of not joining before is I despise the RENEW your membership only a month after joining or renewing.

Ironmany2k
05-16-2010, 6:41 PM
Carly has no 2nd Amend record and just joined the NRA. She is pandering to get some votes and will flip-flop on us in a heartbeat to get 1 point in the polls.

Chuck DeVore is the proven conservative and supporter of the 2nd Amendment and he is the one we should be voting for on Jun 8.

Ironmany2k
05-16-2010, 7:54 PM
Go to the NRA website and see that Chuck DeVore has had an "A" rating and the NRA endorsement in all the previous elections he was in. So far there are no endorsements or rating for this election.

http://www.nrapvf.org/ELECTIONS/State.aspx?y=2008&State=CA
http://www.nrapvf.org/ELECTIONS/State.aspx?y=2006&State=CA
http://www.nrapvf.org/ELECTIONS/State.aspx?y=2004&State=CA

Tank 57
05-16-2010, 8:14 PM
I'd take the NRA's rating with a grain of salt.They gave Dan Lungren an A rating last election cycle.On the 2A issue,I have most faith in Chuck DeVore.

Ironmany2k
05-17-2010, 3:58 PM
...On the 2A issue,I have most faith in Chuck DeVore.

I agree. Chuck DeVore is the only true 2A candidate in this race.

bwiese
05-17-2010, 4:20 PM
I agree. Chuck DeVore is the only true 2A candidate in this race.

Unfortunately he's broke and has no chance of beating Boxer.

I believe Fiorina's feet have been held to the fire to get this NRA rating.

Ironmany2k
05-17-2010, 4:36 PM
Fiorina will sell us out in heartbeat to get 1 point in the polls.

GrayWolf09
05-17-2010, 4:39 PM
Question: Why is Carly Fiorina the Republican candidate for US Senate?

Answer: Because Barbara Boxer got to pick her opponent!

A failed CEO who got fired from the McCain campaign for putting her foot in her mouth once too often. And I thought the Democrats were the ones who liked to shoot themselves in the foot!

Ironmany2k
05-17-2010, 4:50 PM
Fiorina would be such an easy target for the Boxer campaign. How many jobs did she send overseas while the HP CEO? Why did she first call the people who supported AZ's anti illegal immigrant bill racist? Then when pressed by Chuck DeVore she finally reluctantly admitted that she supported the bill.
She has flip-flopped so many times that anything can and will be used against her. We gun owners are nothing to her but a hopeful endorsement.

OleCuss
05-17-2010, 5:29 PM
I want DeVore and we won't get him. It's going to be Campbell or Fiorina going up against Boxer in November.

Between Campbell and Fiorina I think I'd still have to go for Fiorina. Campbell has given up any legitimate claim to conservatism. But I'll take either of them against Boxer.

BTW, I was reading an article in the SF Chronicle today and they quoted the LA Times as saying Boxer lacked "intellectual firepower"! I was amazed to read that from a liberal rag. . . It's in this article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/05/17/MNC51DC9QJ.DTL

Cokebottle
05-17-2010, 6:10 PM
BTW, I was reading an article in the SF Chronicle today and they quoted the LA Times as saying Boxer lacked "intellectual firepower"! I was amazed to read that from a liberal rag. . . It's in this article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/05/17/MNC51DC9QJ.DTL
Took them 20 years to figure that out?

Barbara has never uttered a word that wasn't first whispered to her.
The last time she had an original thought was when she decided to run for office.

Tank 57
05-17-2010, 9:24 PM
We need to get rid of Boxer.Hopefully we don't get an Olympia Snowe or Susan Collins.

bwiese
05-17-2010, 9:46 PM
Fiorina would be such an easy target for the Boxer campaign. How many jobs did she send overseas while the HP CEO?

She did get rid of a lot of fat. HP had a lot of "sit on your arse for life" deadwood folks isolated from the marketplace. (Hell, they still can't make good calculators.) One of their big probems was they sold off Agilent - but that was before Carly's watch.

Jobs move overseas all the time. Smart people are prepared and don't regard
their jobs as life annuities and continue acquiring skills.

6172crew
05-17-2010, 10:20 PM
At this point, I don't even care. I'm voting against Boxer, anyway, unless they find someone even worse than Boxer to unseat Boxer.

FT Win!

6172crew
05-17-2010, 10:21 PM
We need to get rid of Boxer.Hopefully we don't get an Olympia Snowe or Susan Collins.

Or Barbra Lee:)

CalNRA
05-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Show me pics of her gun collection, and documents proving she purchased them, and when. Or any other Legal document from BATF/DOJ stating she is a gun owner. Otherwise it's as believable as hillary klinton saying her grandaddy taught her how to shoot behind the woodshed when she was a little girl.

do you honestly think they will risk a Palin-esque media lynching to showcase "Carly and her guns" just to satisfy your personal skepticism?

advocatusdiaboli
05-18-2010, 10:22 AM
I am with those who say it's less important who defeats Boxer than that she is defeated. Less important but not unimportant--we don't want Campbell or a Democrat. I too am worried Devore doesn't have the the war chest to defeat Boxer but while Fiorina does, she's a bit suspect--she's worth at least $20 million, she should have been a patron member a long time ago. She and the hubby ought to own a brace of Beretta O&U SO10 EELL's (http://www.berettaso10.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=65) at $190,000 a pop. LOL.