PDA

View Full Version : Legal for me to ship a .50 BMG to on out of state FFL?

JPB
05-14-2010, 9:19 AM
Hi folks. Would it be legal for me to ship my CA registered .50 BMG to an out of state FFL? Was considering selling it out of state and shipping it. Thanks.

30rdMag
05-14-2010, 9:30 AM
What is it and how much...lol
Since I also live in Arizona, I have had my eye out for one.

bwiese
05-14-2010, 9:43 AM
50BMG rifles are a distinct and special entity treated like AWs (but separate from AW classification) - and must go thru a CA FFL with DOJ AW permit to be shipped/received.

[A reg'd AW can be a 50BMG without separate 50BMG registration.]

[However if the reg'd owner drives it to, say, Reno or Phoenix and ships it or receives it from there, it can be treated like an ordinary rifle.]

However, there are exceptions. If the AW is banned by feature (Category III), removing enough features to make it a non-AW allows it to be shipped/received in CA as a normal rifle, despite its AW registration - without having to use an intervening CA FFL w/AW permit. The AW registration merely allows the owner to reassemble the gun into AW status. Sometimes a Cat III AW can just be split in half to remove AW status, and each half sent separately, and special arrangements are made such that the gunsmith/factory/etc. returns the separated gun halves to the owner in CA.

The above is straight from DOJ Directory Randy Rossi and Asst Dir. Tim Rieger at a public 'Meet the DOJ' Q&A meeting in spring of 2004, in answer to my questions about shipping a reg'd AW (Cat 3 FAL clone) for gunsmithing. Witnesses were in attendance (Don Kilmer, for one) and the meeting may even have been recorded.

A 50BMG rifle's status is really determined by the gun (1) being assembled and (2) the chambering is 50BMG.

If you have ability to split halves so, say, the chambered portion is nonserialized and the other serialized half can serve duty for other calibers, that's good. Or, if the barrel and other fittings can be removed and subbed with, say, a 510DTC barrel or a 460 CheyTac barrel etc. that works too. (I'd use caution if the particular gun had a unique architecture and was available only in 50BMG. chambering.)

Aside from the above, God kills a kitten everytime someone deregisters or disposes of a reg'd AW or reg'd 50BMG in California. If you need money, sell off parts but keep the serialized receiver. We need to keep the numbers of reg'd guns up and not let them die out unless and until the CA bans go away. I'm confident of the latter, but let's not give up an advantage in court (our opposition says such guns are uncommon, even though there's at least 150K reg'd AWs in CA).

loather
05-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Gah. I wish there were a way to transfer those within the state. I'd like to get my hands on a .50 BMG rifle.

What rifle is it you'd like to sell?

JPB
05-14-2010, 2:52 PM
Thank you bwiese for your informative post. The rifle is an Armalite AR50. Bought it right before the ban and have put exactly two (2) rounds through it. Didn't think that I needed double hearing protection!:rolleyes: Could only get off two rounds before my ears were protesting.:o

I believe that the is an AW dealer in Fairfield (Metco). I may try to beg and plead with them to ship it. If they'll do it, i'll put it on GB. Thanks.

stormy_clothing
05-14-2010, 4:18 PM
maybe calguns could start some kind of op to keep his 50 fund ?

erik
05-14-2010, 4:55 PM
50BMG rifles are a distinct and special entity treated like AWs (but separate from AW classification) - and must go thru a CA FFL with DOJ AW permit to be shipped/received.

[A reg'd AW can be a 50BMG without separate 50BMG registration.]

[However if the reg'd owner drives it to, say, Reno or Phoenix and ships it or receives it from there, it can be treated like an ordinary rifle.]

However, there are exceptions. If the AW is banned by feature (Category III), removing enough features to make it a non-AW allows it to be shipped/received in CA as a normal rifle, despite its AW registration - without having to use an intervening CA FFL w/AW permit. The AW registration merely allows the owner to reassemble the gun into AW status. Sometimes a Cat III AW can just be split in half to remove AW status, and each half sent separately, and special arrangements are made such that the gunsmith/factory/etc. returns the separated gun halves to the owner in CA.

The above is straight from DOJ Directory Randy Rossi and Asst Dir. Tim Rieger at a public 'Meet the DOJ' Q&A meeting in spring of 2004, in answer to my questions about shipping a reg'd AW (Cat 3 FAL clone) for gunsmithing. Witnesses were in attendance (Don Kilmer, for one) and the meeting may even have been recorded.

A 50BMG rifle's status is really determined by the gun (1) being assembled and (2) the chambering is 50BMG.

If you have ability to split halves so, say, the chambered portion is nonserialized and the other serialized half can serve duty for other calibers, that's good. Or, if the barrel and other fittings can be removed and subbed with, say, a 510DTC barrel or a 460 CheyTac barrel etc. that works too. (I'd use caution if the particular gun had a unique architecture and was available only in 50BMG. chambering.)

Aside from the above, God kills a kitten everytime someone deregisters or disposes of a reg'd AW or reg'd 50BMG in California. If you need money, sell off parts but keep the serialized receiver. We need to keep the numbers of reg'd guns up and not let them die out unless and until the CA bans go away. I'm confident of the latter, but let's not give up an advantage in court (our opposition says such guns are uncommon, even though there's at least 150K reg'd AWs in CA).

Wait, so, does this mean I could buy the AR50 upper to use on my RAW lower?

JPB
05-14-2010, 4:58 PM
maybe calguns could start some kind of op to keep his 50 fund ?

Lol, I don't need to sell it. It's just that it's a few grand tied up in something I don't really use. I could put that money into a rifle that would see more use. Couple that with the fact that arguably better long range rounds have been developed and the .510 is completely legal here, the BMG is really just a novelty of legislation.

ke6guj
05-14-2010, 6:01 PM
Wait, so, does this mean I could buy the AR50 upper to use on my RAW lower?
Yes, you could buy a .50BMG upper for your RAW lower and use it in CA. The AR50 is not an upper that you could use on your lower.