PDA

View Full Version : Federal AW Ban

xLusi0n
03-11-2006, 8:04 PM
When the Federal AW Ban went into effect in 1994, did it grandfather previous rifles or people who had say flash hiders and collapsible stocks had to remove theirs? Just wondreing in case Dems come back in power (seeing as how the Rep party is right now, its probable) and somehow they come up with or re-instate the Federal AW Ban...how that would effect ME (assuming CA DOJ lists our recievers and it's registered as AW).

TonyM
03-11-2006, 8:12 PM
When the Federal AW Ban went into effect in 1994, did it grandfather previous rifles or people who had say flash hiders and collapsible stocks had to remove theirs? Just wondreing in case Dems come back in power (seeing as how the Rep party is right now, its probable) and somehow they come up with or re-instate the Federal AW Ban...how that would effect ME (assuming CA DOJ lists our recievers and it's registered as AW).

Grandfathered.

That's why there were "Pre-Ban" and "Post-Ban" catagories of uppers for sale.

Hmmm.... Post # 556

EBWhite
03-11-2006, 8:29 PM
Yes, that is why getting these receivers is sooo important..It will allow you to own these forever no matter where you live.

grammaton76
03-11-2006, 11:42 PM
When the Federal AW Ban went into effect in 1994, did it grandfather previous rifles or people who had say flash hiders and collapsible stocks had to remove theirs?

Grandfathered, but I imagine that Fed AWB 2.0 may attempt to roll in some kind of transferrability restriction like California's...

adamsreeftank
03-12-2006, 1:25 AM
I would think AWB 2 may look more like Prop H than AWB 1

JHC
03-12-2006, 6:22 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the Dems coming back into power just yet, they are too good at screwing up on their campaigns but eventually the power will shift again and you better already have everything you want because I'm sure any new Federal ban will limit you to .22s, bolt guns, and no transferability. Stock up while you can, and if I'm wrong at least you'll have a lot of toys.

ADDICTEDto.223LOWERS
03-12-2006, 11:18 AM
what happens if there is a federal AWB but california hasnt listed these lowers? does that mean i can register it and it will be an AW in california too? or im just stuck with a "sporter"?

grammaton76
03-12-2006, 11:39 AM
what happens if there is a federal AWB but california hasnt listed these lowers? does that mean i can register it and it will be an AW in california too? or im just stuck with a "sporter"?

Federal and state legislation are independent of each other. You would have to register federally if AWB2 requires registration.

Whether that happens or not, if CA doesn't list, it's not an AW in CA.

So there's the point of federal AW vs state AW. It can be both, one, or neither.

bill2k
03-12-2006, 9:30 PM
a state level law or legislation cannot contradict a federal law or legislation i.e. if feds say no assault weapons in the country, california could not be exempt in any way shape or form..however the opposite is okay. calif say no assualt weapons but feds say its okay so it is only bad in cali. funny how it cannot contradict feds unless it is considered "wrong"

superhondaz50
03-12-2006, 9:46 PM
S645 is horrible. I've never seen that before! Lets hope it never goes into effect. I was LOL when I saw they wanted to make an M1 carbine an AW!

Draven
03-13-2006, 5:27 AM
Actually, its worse. it even bans M1 Carbines.