PDA

View Full Version : Carry handle or flip up sight?

LloydXmas250
05-14-2010, 5:19 AM
I've searched for opinions on this and haven't really come up with anything. I'll be buying a Stag 16" upper as early as today but I can't decide on a detachable carry handle or a rear flip up sight. I'm positive I want a flat-top so that I can run an optic in the future but until I'm fairly effiecient with the gun, I want to stick to iron sights. I like the look of the carry handle and it just seems more solid than flip up sights but with a flip up sight I can just mount that optic on and now have a BUIS. I really can't lean one way mire than another. I'm stuck right down the middle in this decision.

Bentot
05-14-2010, 5:33 AM
I was in your situation some time ago. I bought the one with a carry handle. Instead of buying optics, I practiced and practiced until one day decided I like it better than with a red dot (camparing with my brother in law's AR).

LloydXmas250
05-14-2010, 5:51 AM
I was in your situation some time ago. I bought the one with a carry handle. Instead of buying optics, I practiced and practiced until one day decided I like it better than with a red dot (camparing with my brother in law's AR).

But did you just find you like iron sights more than optics or specifcally the carry handle more than the folding sights? I guess I wouldn't feel a neccessity to put on an optic even if I do get the flip up sights.

famas619
05-14-2010, 6:05 AM
I went with standard standard sights (fixed carry handle). Not a big fan of hanging a bunch of stuff off of my rifle. To me it's why spend a buncj of money on optics that will only be used at the range? Even if SHTF, iron sights is good enough. Iron sights were good enough on deployment.

Chesse
05-14-2010, 6:14 AM
I have both flip up sights and carry handle, I prefer the carry handle sight.

evidens83
05-14-2010, 7:31 AM
How about this (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=265) or this (http://store.troyind.com/Rear_Fixed_Rail_Sight_p/ssig-frs-r0bt-00.htm)? That way you can always add an optic depending on rail space.

!@#$
05-14-2010, 7:58 AM
first don't waste your money on the stag upper.

buy one from spikes. much better quality for about the same price.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=486660

as far as sights i like the carry handle. when you get your red dot just chop the carry handle.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=298610

Barabas
05-14-2010, 8:00 AM
Carry handle. It won't fall off, break off or get caught up on your sling, your gear or environment. Besides, retro is the new black.

Bentot
05-14-2010, 8:05 AM
I liked the carry handle's sight better then BUIS.

LloydXmas250
05-14-2010, 8:22 AM
first don't waste your money on the stag upper.

buy one from spikes. much better quality for about the same price.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=486660

Thanks for the suggestion but I've made up my mind on the Stag. Reviews I've read are good, and I have friends who have them and love them. Spikes may be better but it's not what I want, especially because I want the 1:9 twist. I won't be shooting the heavy stuff so that twist ratio is pointless for me.

I am now starting to see a trend with the carry handle vs. flip-up sights. If I do run a red-dot, I'll just take the carry handle off. It's not too much work to change it out. Thanks for all the suggestions.

kazman
05-14-2010, 8:24 AM
I've got both. If using iron sights I prefer the carry handle. But even at 100 yards shooting paper I prefer some type of magnification so I have a 3-9x scope, since my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, and the thick front post makes it difficult for me. I'm also thinking about putting in a thinner front post more like the national match post on my M1a. Makes a difference.

sd1023x
05-14-2010, 8:44 AM
BUIS. If you are going to run optics on your flattop eventually, you'll eventually need a BUIS.

Also, don't know if Stag uses a F-marked front sight assembly, there are two different heights I think, make sure you get the proper one. (if I'm wrong, please correct me)

reidnez
05-14-2010, 9:00 AM
You could always get something like this:

http://riflegear.com/p-630-lmt-tactical-adjustable-rear-sight.aspx

Duplicates the carry handle rear sight in function and appearance, without the silly carry handle that nobody ever uses. Once you get your red-dot, you can mount it in front and your irons will be permanently co-witnessed (the setup that I personally prefer.) Most BUIS are not adjustable for windage--which is fine for a backup sight, but not adequate if you plan to do serious range work with irons. The flip-up mechanisms also have a certain amount of play that only builds with wear, which again is ok for a backup sight but less than ideal if you really want to shoot with them. All in all, the mil-spec carry handle sights (and similar designs, like that LMT) are pretty good target sights and would serve you well.

Uriah02
05-14-2010, 9:03 AM
I never got comfortable carrying my M-16 by the handle, always by the magazine well and the heat shield if it wasn't in some form of the ready position...

Dirtbiker
05-14-2010, 9:10 AM
Stags do have a F marked FSB.

I've had an Aimpoint and a Burris AR-332. I sold them both and run a carry handle. I just prefer it.

The LMT show above is a good choice. Same sighting setup as a carry handle w/o the added weight.

bgoodman
05-14-2010, 9:10 AM
I prefer the carry handle over optics... but you could make it look like an issued-type weapon if you put a matech rear sight on it. basically, the carry handle is cool if you never want to put optics on it, because when you do, you need a buis, and you'll then be out 100 bucks on the carry handle.

Dirtbiker
05-14-2010, 9:12 AM
+1 on the Matech. I have one of those too and that's my favorite buis.

reidnez
05-14-2010, 9:34 AM
I never got comfortable carrying my M-16 by the handle, always by the magazine well and the heat shield if it wasn't in some form of the ready position...

We would get b*tch-slapped in the service if we tried to carry it by the handle. There is no way to have muzzle awareness with your muzzle swinging around at waist level. Anyway, it looks lazy. That's what the sling is for--or the magazine well, as you mentioned.

I will offer a contrary opinion on the Matech--I was issued one of those as a backup to my ACOG. What I don't like about the Matech is that it's sprung. About 20% of the sights in our unit failed and were stuck permanently "up." Granted, this was a couple years ago and that may have been fixed (or it may not be much of an issue on civilian weapons, which don't tend to get used as hammers like service rifles do). And again, like most BUIS it is not windage-adjustable--which is a real limiting factor if you ever want to do serious range work with irons. Don't think that because the military uses it, it must be good gear. Trust me, the military buys a lot of junk too.

Dirtbiker
05-14-2010, 9:43 AM
I will offer a contrary opinion on the Matech. And again, like most BUIS it is not windage-adjustable--which is a real limiting factor if you ever want to do serious range work with irons.

Not to discount your opinion as you have real military experience with the Matech but they do have windage adjustments. Maybe the ones you were issued were of an older design.

I like them for range use because they can be found cheap ($45 or so) and are very solidly built.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/harley15502002/matech1.jpg

reidnez
05-14-2010, 10:03 AM
/\ /\ /\

No offense taken whatsoever, you're correct--the sights I used were a couple of years old. I'm glad to see they have improved the design.

Toast
05-14-2010, 10:08 AM
I prefer the old school sexy look of a carry handle (I have an A1 upper). Plus I won't be tempted to spend $600 of ammo/class money on an Aimpoint.

johnrunner89
05-14-2010, 11:17 AM
OP, I was in the same boat too when I first bought my stag upper and I went with a carry handle and don't regret it all. Works great and if you ever want to add an optic in the future, you simply unscrew it.

2Cute2Shoot
05-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Carry handle. It won't fall off, break off or get caught up on your sling, your gear or environment. Besides, retro is the new black.

I agree with Barabas (not biblically but defensively:p). My personal opinion is that carry handles look prettier on AR's. 2nd, I keep my gun under my bed for home protection and I don't have to worry that if I bump that sight, it will come crooked or fall off. That tiny buis can get out of zero too easily:(. Plus it looks silly like a little nub, while the handle is long and sleek :)

SandBlastedSkin
05-14-2010, 12:19 PM
The TROY rear flip up sights are very sturdy and highly reliable. They keep a zero as well.

I'm not against carry handles, I'm just saying...

shadowofnight
05-14-2010, 12:23 PM
I agree with Barabas (not biblically but defensively:p). My personal opinion is that carry handles look prettier on AR's. 2nd, I keep my gun under my bed for home protection and I don't have to worry that if I bump that sight, it will come crooked or fall off. That tiny buis can get out of zero too easily:(. Plus it looks silly like a little nub, while the handle is long and sleek :)

+1

Even though my first AR is a flattop with a scope and I love it , to me it really doesnt look like an AR....I had to make one that the instant you saw it you thought AR...to me that meant a handle :) ( But I made it removable in case I ever change my mind :p )

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=55521&d=1273856964

LloydXmas250
05-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks to all the advice. I went out early today and picked up a Stag 1H upper. I'm already liking it and I don't even have the lower yet. Just looking down the sights, I'm really liking the carry handle. Thanks for the advice everyone.

shadowofnight
05-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks to all the advice. I went out early today and picked up a Stag 1H upper. I'm already liking it and I don't even have the lower yet. Just looking down the sights, I'm really liking the carry handle. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Congrats :D My Stag 4H ( In the pic above ) I believe has your exact same handle/sights , I havent shot mine either yet.