PDA

View Full Version : ACR legitimacy question.

Good_Knight
05-14-2010, 3:15 AM
Alright, so I am planning on buying an ACR at some point and when I do I was planning on having it DROSed over to me as a pistol. Here's how, and why:

How: I would beforehand purchase a folding stock accessory and then remove the stock part by taking out the pins, leaving me with just a stock-block if you will; I would then configure it with a 10.5'' barrel, mag lock, and single-shot 0/30 mag. And there you have it, just like any other OLL AR pistol.

Why: well I have heard that you are allowed to make a pistol into a rifle, however not vice versa. So I would also have an 16'' barrel and standard stock as spare parts. That way, when I felt like shooting it as a rifle, I would first take off the 10.5'' barrel, replacing it with the 16''. I would then remove my before mentioned stock-block and replace it with a standard stock, and there you have it, ACR rifle. And since it was originally DROSed as a pistol, going back to a pistol configuration would be perfectly fine.

And VOILA, there you have it pistol-to-rifle and rifle-to-pistol ACR! Thoughts?

Quiet
05-14-2010, 4:24 AM
First.
Both Remington and Bushmaster manufactures the ACR as a rifle. They do not sell stripped virgin recievers.
Making a handgun from a rifle is a SBR.
You will need BATFE approval prior to doing so, otherwise it is a felony (state & federal).

Second.
BATFE NFA branch stance.
It is legal to make a handgun into a rifle. No paperwork required. However, once you do it is now a rifle.
Making it into a handgun again, makes it a SBR.
You will need BATFE approval prior to doing so, otherwise it is a felony (state & federal).

Summary...
Handgun to rifle = legal
Rifle to handgun = not legal without BATFE approval for a SBR

darkest2000
05-14-2010, 4:54 AM
Why: well I have heard that you are allowed to make a pistol into a rifle, however not vice versa.

Yes, you heard correctly, which is precisely WHY your idea wouldn't work:rolleyes:

Rukus
05-14-2010, 6:50 AM
Fail!

If only it was that easy to obtain an sbr in this state...

Toolbox X
05-14-2010, 7:53 AM
If you have a stripped receiver that has never been built into a rifle you can register the receiver as a pistol. Once the receiver has been built as a rifle that receiver can never be a pistol. The problem you have is all ACR's are built as rifles. You would have to convince Bushmaster to sell you a receiver that has never been built as a rifle and I would recommend you get a letter from them documenting that receiver's serial number as never been built as a rifle.

ohsmily
05-14-2010, 8:41 AM
Alright, so I am planning on buying an ACR at some point and when I do I was planning on having it DROSed over to me as a pistol. Here's how, and why:

How: I would beforehand purchase a folding stock accessory and then remove the stock part by taking out the pins, leaving me with just a stock-block if you will; I would then configure it with a 10.5'' barrel, mag lock, and single-shot 0/30 mag. And there you have it, just like any other OLL AR pistol.

Why: well I have heard that you are allowed to make a pistol into a rifle, however not vice versa. So I would also have an 16'' barrel and standard stock as spare parts. That way, when I felt like shooting it as a rifle, I would first take off the 10.5'' barrel, replacing it with the 16''. I would then remove my before mentioned stock-block and replace it with a standard stock, and there you have it, ACR rifle. And since it was originally DROSed as a pistol, going back to a pistol configuration would be perfectly fine.

Thoughts? Fail.

Josh3239
05-14-2010, 10:44 AM
The ACR is made as a rifle, not a frame nor a receiver nor a pistol. And that is the difference between that and an AR/AK pistol. Shortening the barrel and removing the stock doesn't make it a pistol, it makes it an SBR. And according to the ATF once a rifle always a rifle.

fonionrings
05-14-2010, 10:46 AM

IF you were able to DROS an ACR as a single shot pistol, and IF you then attached a stock, it would be a rifle. And as you pointed out, you can't turn a rifle into a pistol, regardless of what it was DROS'd as.

stormy_clothing
05-14-2010, 2:01 PM
Oh lordy a bunch of jaw jackers on this thread comparing two different platforms.

Not that I've considered it myself but since the ACR is registered on the upper an not the lower I don't see why this would be so difficult.

The hardest part I think is finding one never registered in 2 pieces. An out of state dealer like henderson arms that does cal spec pistols could probably help you.

Reality check though is it would be heavy and not exactly attractive and more expensive than the lwrc pistol.

BONECUTTER
05-14-2010, 2:45 PM
As other have said....lots of things wrong with you plan.

Alright, so I am planning on buying an ACR at some point and when I do I was planning on having it DROSed over to me as a pistol.

They leave the factory as rifles. Finding a serialized receiver that has never been made into a rifle will be hard.

How: I would beforehand purchase a folding stock accessory and then remove the stock part by taking out the pins,

If you have a stock that can be attached in seconds you can be considered in constructive possesion. Unless you have another rifle ACR that it is intended for.

Pistol to rifle fine...but not the other way around.

Thoughts?

Just wait until Bushmaster makes an ACR pistol Like Sig did.

dieselpower
05-14-2010, 3:39 PM
the ACR is a rifle...a rifle can not be made into a pistol. Now if you worked for Bushmaster, then asked them to manufacture a pistol version of the ACR now will be called a PACR and you could then make a ACR out of your PACR.

Call Bushmaster and ask them to sell you the non-designated serialized component of an ACR. This will show you where your problem is.

richzmn
05-14-2010, 6:45 PM
Thought? I can picture you in jail for 10 yrs, $250,000 fine and never being able own a gun again.

Cokebottle
05-14-2010, 7:32 PM
Fail!

If only it was that easy to obtain an sbr in this state...
Oh, it's easy to obtain an SBR in this state... the hard part is avoiding prosecution and conviction after someone gets jealous and reports you.

Good_Knight
05-15-2010, 2:26 AM
Wow....I'm sorry I upset so many people with my idea (well, not really).

On the other hand, thank you to those of you with constructive advice to offer....I will wait for a ACR pistol.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-15-2010, 2:33 PM
....I will wait for a ACR pistol.

The Adaptive Combat Rifle pistol? :)

Cokebottle
05-15-2010, 5:52 PM
The Adaptive Combat Rifle pistol? :)
ACP is already taken by that company that makes all of the Ricer crap for Civics :D