PDA

View Full Version : California Judge Dismisses Firearms Lawsuit!

CALI-gula
03-11-2006, 4:53 PM
This is more amazing than the following article states, as it forgets to note that Gray Davis passed a bill into law specifically allowing such lawsuits against manufacturers to move forward in CA, no matter how erroneous. I am glad the first rejection was here in CA !!! :D

This is from an NRA ILA message received by my email:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CALIFORNIA JUDGE DISMISSES SUIT
THANKS TO "PROTECTION OF LAWFUL COMMERCE IN ARMS ACT

On Monday, Federal District Court Judge Audrey B. Collins used the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act" as the basis for dismissal of a reckless "public-nuisance" lawsuit against firearm manufacturer Glock and distributor RSR. In doing so, Judge Collins became the first judge in the country to use the new law to counter the anti-gun lobby's shameless attempts to hold the lawful firearm industry responsible for the acts of criminals.

The suit sought to blame Glock and RSR for the horrendous criminal actions of deranged white supremacist Buford Furrow. In 1999, Furrow shot and killed postal worker Joseph Ileto, and wounded three children at a Jewish Community Center in Grenada Hills, California, after illegally acquiring firearms.

What is not often reported is that, while a Glock pistol was used in Furrow's heinous crime, the gun was originally sold to a police department, which subsequently sold it to a licensed dealer, who in turn sold it to a collector, who finally sold it to Furrow. Glock is being targeted, but did nothing illegal, and RSR never owned, sold, or possessed the firearm.

"It is fitting that this case was the first ever dismissed based on the 'Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act' because the facts made this case the poster child for passage of common sense legal reform," said Lawrence G. Keane, Senior Vice President and General Counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

GW
03-11-2006, 5:10 PM
Outstanding!
And better still that it came from California. I hope this is a sign of good things to come.

Gnote
03-11-2006, 5:52 PM
That is awesome. Let's hope this keeps up.

centermass
03-11-2006, 5:55 PM
SWEEEEEEEEET!!!! Never thought that Kalifornia would be first.

taloft
03-11-2006, 5:57 PM
Good deal!

That's one down, and countless to go.

At least it's a start.

Sharnhorst
03-11-2006, 6:03 PM
WOW! Hell froze over, All drink to that.

Ford8N
03-11-2006, 6:38 PM
Funny, I never read that story in my newspaper.

383green
03-12-2006, 9:41 AM
WOW! Hell froze over, All drink to that.
Did I just see a pig fly by my window? :D

This is great. I strongly believe that one of the biggest general problems in our society is people being unwilling and/or unable to take responsibility for their own actions. For too many people, it's always somebody else's fault when something goes wrong. This mindset leads to irresponsible behavior, keeps many people from improving their situation because they focus on assigning blame to others rather than doing something about it, and leads to things like these firearms lawsuits, where blame is placed on the manufacturer instead of the `tard who pulled the trigger.

Now, I believe that the rash of firearms manufacturer lawsuits was initiated with the express purpose of hurting the firearms industry, but the somebody-else's-fault mentality undoubtedly helps the malicious leaders of the lawsuit club to attract followers. :mad:

RRangel
03-12-2006, 9:53 AM
Funny, I never read that story in my newspaper.

It was featured in the Los Angeles Times.

It was also on the front page of Calguns.net on 3-9-06. :)

jerryg1776
03-12-2006, 9:54 AM
Did I just see a pig fly by my window? :D

This is great. I strongly believe that one of the biggest general problems in our society is people being unwilling and/or unable to take responsibility for their own actions. For too many people, it's always somebody else's fault when something goes wrong. This mindset leads to irresponsible behavior, keeps many people from improving their situation because they focus on assigning blame to others rather than doing something about it, and leads to things like these firearms lawsuits, where blame is placed on the manufacturer instead of the `tard who pulled the trigger.

Now, I believe that the rash of firearms manufacturer lawsuits was initiated with the express purpose of hurting the firearms industry, but the somebody-else's-fault mentality undoubtedly helps the malicious leaders of the lawsuit club to attract followers. :mad:

I agree!! Well said. Guess I cant sue McDonalds for that extra 50 pounds of fat. HAHAHHAHA

glen avon
03-12-2006, 10:38 AM
that was a federal court. state actions can still go forward, thanks to davis.