PDA

View Full Version : Changing out mag in permanently fixed lower

D.T. Rouland
03-11-2006, 4:51 PM
Was just wondering whether one could take a stripped Vulcan lower with the mag attached,purchased before the lower madness, and remove the mag to say, replace it with a different ten round mag or to build it up as a pistol grip-less rifle able to use detachable mags? From what I've read, I don't see any problems but with all the ins and outs of this situation, I'd rather get some other opinions. Thanks for the help :)

blacklisted
03-11-2006, 4:56 PM
You sure can, just be sure to remove the pistol grip first. There's a tutorial on it, I'm sure someone here can provide a link to it.

xLusi0n
03-11-2006, 7:37 PM
How are the mags attached on the Vulcans?

blacklisted
03-11-2006, 7:39 PM
How are the mags attached on the Vulcans?

I believe they are glued and pinned through the mag.

shopkeep
03-11-2006, 7:43 PM
The Vulcans are going on the list because so many people have removed the mag and because many more have purchased them as stripped recievers. Might as well drop the mag because you're going to be treated the same way whether or not its glued.

D.T. Rouland
03-11-2006, 8:07 PM
That's kind of what I figured. All the smoke n mirros that had Vulcan sending them in thinking they HAD to pin those mags in there got blown away with all this off list revelation stuff. I'm pleased. I've had that receiver sittin' around for a bit and I was fortunate enough to get ones where I really don't think it'll take much work to strip. Besides, I do so love to tinker with stuff :D Just wanted to make sure I was within the law. Thanks guys.

6172crew
03-12-2006, 6:26 AM
Carefull, there was a guy on here a few weeks ago asking for the "doj letter" stating it was legal to remove mag. Sounded like he was in serious trouble
and was looking for a letter that was never written. Dont mistake the tutorital for permission.

Now that I said that: The magazine is a ***** to remove, there are 2 ways.

1= remove mag catch and drill out hardened roll pin (you will need a lot of drill bits and this is the hard way) then replace magazine and roll pin. (I replaced with a set screw so I could replace magazine in the future)

2= Push follower on magazine down and you will see the pin. Take a file and place a notch halway through pin, now get a fat screwdriver and push out (mag catch should be removed along with the pistol grip.

I was lucky and didnt have to much glue in mine, Im not sure what would remove that crap.

That's kind of what I figured. All the smoke n mirros that had Vulcan sending them in thinking they HAD to pin those mags in there got blown away with all this off list revelation stuff. I'm pleased. I've had that receiver sittin' around for a bit and I was fortunate enough to get ones where I really don't think it'll take much work to strip. Besides, I do so love to tinker with stuff :D Just wanted to make sure I was within the law. Thanks guys.

blacklisted
03-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Keep in mind that the DoJ apparently lied to someone over the phone about this, tell them it was OK if they did it fast (but didn't tell them to remove the pistol grip).

shopkeep
03-12-2006, 2:22 PM
Keep in mind that the DoJ apparently lied to someone over the phone about this, tell them it was OK if they did it fast (but didn't tell them to remove the pistol grip).

HAHAHA the DOJ doesn't know what the law is... appearantly only a couple guys who've never met in person online do. You can talk to 4 or 5 guys in the firearms division and get 4 or 5 different answers! Only when you write them through certified mail do you get something that might even remotely reflect what the law is.

Strip the reciever bare of EVERYTHING before you remove the mag just to be safe. Besides it will be easier to work on if it's stripped anyways.

D.T. Rouland
03-12-2006, 2:25 PM
Appreciate the heads up from everyone. Like I said, this was a totally stripped receiver, absolutely no parts on it. 15 minutes later with a vice, a small screwdriver and some handy pliers, it was even less then what it was before. "Less is more" right?:D Now, time to look into the locking methods everyone using! Whee, more tinkering!