PDA

View Full Version : Basic SKS questions

Armedwino
05-13-2010, 10:01 PM
A quick couple of legality questions for you SKS pros out there.

I have the opportunity to trade for a Yugo SKS coming from out of state. The seller is a gunsmith and will remove the "launcher" for CA legality and replace it with a muzzle break. Does this break need to be welded in place as long as the grenade launcher is removed? I would rather have it removable if possible.

Also, Yugos are not C&R are they? Something about manufacture dates?

Thanks in advance for the help.

SJgunguy24
05-13-2010, 10:04 PM
A quick couple of legality questions for you SKS pros out there.

I have the opportunity to trade for a Yugo SKS coming from out of state. The seller is a gunsmith and will remove the "launcher" for CA legality and replace it with a muzzle break. Does this break need to be welded in place as long as the grenade launcher is removed? I would rather have it removable if possible.

Also, Yugos are not C&R are they? Something about manufacture dates?

Thanks in advance for the help.

The brake doesn't need to be welded IIRC. Now that is C&R in the eyes of the BATFE, but CA law says it must be 50+ years or older to be non FFL transferrable. If it's coming into CA from another state it needs to go through an FFL anyway.

bigthaiboy
05-13-2010, 10:21 PM
That's correct. The Yugo M59/66 has a threaded barrel, so just screw the new muzzle brake on. There is no Federal or State regs that require it to be permanently attached. The M59/66 was manufactured from 1966 to 1989 and can be dated by the first letter prefix of the serial number starting with C= 1966.

OneApart
05-13-2010, 10:28 PM
The brake doesn't need to be welded IIRC. Now that is C&R in the eyes of the BATFE, but CA law says it must be 50+ years or older to be non FFL transferrable. If it's coming into CA from another state it needs to go through an FFL anyway.

If I understand correctly, the model of the YUGO is crucial in determining the C&R status of the rifle. The 59/60 Model won't be eligible until 2011 (to be safe), however the Model 59/66 still has 7 more years to go.

As to the muzzle Brake, gunguy is correct it does not have to be welded per say.

Quiet
05-14-2010, 12:39 AM
The Yugo M59/66 were produced from 1966-1989.
Since, NATO bombed the production facility, it is unknown when a certain serial number was produced.
So, unless the laws change, you'll have to wait until after 2039 before they can qualify for cash & carry in CA.

bigthaiboy
05-14-2010, 1:14 AM
If I understand correctly, the model of the YUGO is crucial in determining the C&R status of the rifle. The 59/60 Model won't be eligible until 2011 (to be safe), however the Model 59/66 still has 7 more years to go.

As to the muzzle Brake, gunguy is correct it does not have to be welded per say.

I have never heard of the designation M59/60, so I can only assume you mean the M59. There is no way to date a M59, so to be safe, you have to assume that none will be C&R until 2016.

The M59 does not have any type of muzzle attachment, so is not the model relevant to the OP's question.

However, there is a method to date the year of manufacture on a M59/66 as I previously mentioned in post #3, by the first letter of the serial number. The rifle becomes C&R in CA, 50 years after the the year of manufacture of that rifle, NOT 50 years after the first year of production of that model.

The Yugo M59/66 were produced from 1966-1989.
Since, NATO bombed the production facility, it is unknown when a certain serial number was produced.
So, unless the laws change, you'll have to wait until after 2039 before they can qualify for cash & carry in CA.

Identifying the year of manufacture on a M59/66.

This is just about the most accurate data available for the M59/66, short of resurrecting the ashes of the records once kept at the Zavasta Plant in Serbia:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/bigthaiboy/yugochart-1.jpg