PDA

View Full Version : Bighorn Canyon Ranch in riverside

elevated
05-13-2010, 8:50 PM
Thinking about paying the ridiculous 350 to kill a feral hog this summer, mostly because I don't know what to do with an animal after it's down and I feel this is something I can't really learn from youtube etc. My questions is does anyone have a guide that would charge 350 or less to give me the same chances as Bighorn canyon and one that I could learn from with the field dressing, skinning, and quartering?

thx

HokeySon
05-13-2010, 9:44 PM
I just read on the DFG site that they are having some advanced hunting clinics where they will be butchering a hog. check it out on their site, I do not remember the dates.

LloydXmas250
05-14-2010, 5:40 AM
Bighorn Canyon is a canned hunt so your success rate would practically be 100%. I don't think you'd find a guided hunt with those results for anywhere near that price, at least I've never seen one.

elevated
05-14-2010, 8:07 AM
I have a few buddies who have been to Bighorn in riverside and I know it wouldn't really be a hunt. I was just wondering if there was someplace similar that maybe was cheaper...? Thanks on that DFG seminar recommendation. I will look into that.

Pace
05-14-2010, 10:06 AM
pay $150 more an get a guide to take you out for 2-days in central california. you can PM me for more info.

scargk
05-14-2010, 2:16 PM
I next door neighber has hunted their a few times. You don't really need a guide. If you hike up to the top of a hill, you can glass around and find your targets...then it's stalking time.

He bow hunted there...he said it wouldn't be much of a challenge to hunt with a rifle for a hog at Big Horn.

We take our game to Bree's Quality Meats (11877 Valley View Street, Garden Grove, CA‎ - (714) 892-1115‎)...it was about $100 to get all the meet butchered.

I can't recall whether the Big Horn staff helps with skinning and quartering...

rumblebee
05-14-2010, 2:30 PM
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/advanced/wildpig_Tejon.aspx

Advanced Hunting Clinics
Wild Pig Hunting Clinic
July 31
Tejon Ranch, southern Kern County

In partnership with Pacific Coast Hunter Education Association, we bring you this exciting clinic which will cover pig biology, hunting considerations and requirements, methods of take, methods for locating wild pigs, hunting techniques, locations to hunt, care of game and, the final reward...wild pig recipes. We will be field dressing and skinning a pig and raffling it off at the end of the clinic.

Space is limited to 50 people so please register early. Cost: $45. BBQ lunch available for $10 at the clinic. 16 years and younger are free but must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

popndrop
05-14-2010, 8:43 PM
I think that going out with a guide is a great way to learn - you're paying for the lesson. Just make sure you tell them you want to be Taught, not just Guided. There is a difference. If you don't tell them that you want to learn how to clean an animal, they'll do it at the speed they usually do, and it will be hard for you to get much out of it.
Don't worry about the whole "Canned Hunt" thing your first time out, think of it more like "Private School".

Good luck.

maschronic
05-14-2010, 8:57 PM
I next door neighber has hunted their a few times. You don't really need a guide. If you hike up to the top of a hill, you can glass around and find your targets...then it's stalking time.

He bow hunted there...he said it wouldn't be much of a challenge to hunt with a rifle for a hog at Big Horn.

We take our game to Bree's Quality Meats (11877 Valley View Street, Garden Grove, CA‎ - (714) 892-1115‎)...it was about $100 to get all the meet butchered.

I can't recall whether the Big Horn staff helps with skinning and quartering...

Bree meats.....hrmmm...you must live near west garden grove. :) I lived really close to there for 20 years.

lewdogg21
05-15-2010, 6:56 AM
I think that going out with a guide is a great way to learn - you're paying for the lesson. Just make sure you tell them you want to be Taught, not just Guided. There is a difference. If you don't tell them that you want to learn how to clean an animal, they'll do it at the speed they usually do, and it will be hard for you to get much out of it.
Don't worry about the whole "Canned Hunt" thing your first time out, think of it more like "Private School".

Good luck.

Great post. I've learned a TON about hunting deer and elk from hunting with a good guide who was friendly and would answer questions.

elevated
05-19-2010, 3:16 AM
Thanks all for the help, some really great info here, I do appreciate it.