PDA

View Full Version : Pricing?

mgw12
05-13-2010, 6:09 PM
I am looking to buy a long rifle based upon the sale of an existing gun. Will dealers that sell guns "deal" or are their prices what they are? Is it acceptable to ask for a lower price? Do they sell at the MFG.s suggested retail price or do they drop or raise prices? I know that if I go to buy a new mountain bike that most dealers will want to make a sale and will move the price..is that the same in the gun industry.

Also, does one call around for pricing or do i drive all over so. cal? Is it better to buy NEW online and then have it shipped the a dealer that can make the transfer? ...As you can see i am WAY new to this process.

Thanks in advance for your kind help and input! :)

cmace22
05-13-2010, 6:16 PM
A mom and pop shop that doesn't push a lot of sales might negotiate with you but for the most part the price on the tag is the price you are gonna pay.

What they sell at is up to them. If you shop around you might find better deals but not anything to woo hoo about.

I think most people will give quotes over the phone but some I have dealt with will not.

What type of long gun are you looking for?

Most of my handguns I purchased over the net for a good difference in price compared to the shop.

AlliedArmory
05-13-2010, 6:22 PM
Most places sell their guns at what is on the price tag. It never hurts to ask though. Most stores will not give a quote over the phone. This is a basic rule in sales. Once you get a price over the phone, you will call another place trying to get a better price than the one you were quoted and so on.

For me personally, I will spend a few more $$$ to buy local rather than have to have it sent to a FFL etc.

When buying online, make sure to factor in the shipping cost and credit card fee that the majority of stores charge. Not to mention the out of state transfer fee ($50-100)

cmace22
05-13-2010, 6:26 PM
Most places sell their guns at what is on the price tag. For me personally, I will spend a few more $$$ to buy local rather than have to have it sent to a FFL etc.

When buying online, make sure to factor in the shipping cost and credit card fee that the majority of stores charge. Not to mention the out of state transfer fee ($50-100)

This is true but from my own experience, the more expensive and/or harder to find firearm the more I save by buying out of state.

I picked up my Springfield MCO for 1050 shipped. I paid a 50 transfer fee plus dros. No tax. Shops down here were asking 1299 plus tax and dros.

I paid 1125 OTD compared to around 1450 OTD local.

mgw12
05-13-2010, 6:42 PM
A mom and pop shop that doesn't push a lot of sales might negotiate with you but for the most part the price on the tag is the price you are gonna pay.

What they sell at is up to them. If you shop around you might find better deals but not anything to woo hoo about.

I think most people will give quotes over the phone but some I have dealt with will not.

What type of long gun are you looking for?

Most of my handguns I purchased over the net for a good difference in price compared to the shop.

Thanks for the input. since you asked I am looking for the 580 series Stainless Mini-14. I have had my heart set on one for years.

I guess I will have to start driving around and see who sells what i am looking for a competitive price.

AlliedArmory
05-13-2010, 7:37 PM
Very true on the price of the firearm. I tend to buy local when the price of the firearm is under $600. If above that price I shop around online and compare a bit.

mgw12
05-13-2010, 8:15 PM
Very true on the price of the firearm. I tend to buy local when the price of the firearm is under $600. If above that price I shop around online and compare a bit.

Really? Well then what are a few good sites that have competitive pricing and that will ship to california...seems like a "wall" of choices..all the way to Florida! ha ha!:eek::D

Rob454
05-13-2010, 8:30 PM
Really depends on what you are looking for. "trading" in a rifle is not the way to go IMO. you can get more for it from someone on here. Especially if its a desirable rifle.
I woudlnt do the trade game cause youll get nothing for you old rifle and probably pay close to full pop for the new rifle.
Sell it on here and then see if someone is selling the rifle you want on here. Youll probably get more bang for your buck cause most people sell accessories or extra ammo and they will still be at or lower than what a store sells them for.
nothing wrong with buying out of state either. I personally would give some of the stores that support this site a first shot atselling you a rifle. There are some good deals to be had and its always good to support local stores.