PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with the SCAR

Gallows
05-13-2010, 3:06 PM
Getting my bonus soon and have yet to own my own rifle due to the laws, they just make it really undesirable to own one. But I have been eyeballing this SCAR but haven't seen one come into any of the local shops nor does anyone have experience with them. So before I blindly pursue getting a hold of it I wanna hear what people think of it, mostly from anyone who owns one. Is it really worth 3k? If not I'll probably just get an M1 Garand.

Thoughts anyone?

Agro
05-13-2010, 3:23 PM
Everyone's going to have a differing opinion.
I think the SCAR and the ACR will drop in price in the future. They are so new to market that you see the high prices. You can get a nice AR for $1k or less, but $3k for a SCAR? It's overpriced. If you are patient you'll see them for less later, and the M1 will still be the same, so at least you'll have that.

Gallows
05-13-2010, 3:29 PM
Yeah I don't get the money for three more months so hopefully I have some time to look around and find some deals. The M1 Garand is looking really nice though a whole lot cheaper too.

Dr Rockso
05-13-2010, 3:30 PM
CMP Garands are still the best deal in centerfire rifles, IMO.

PolishMike
05-13-2010, 3:32 PM
I have one and sold a few. I like them a lot. Any specific questions?

winnre
05-13-2010, 3:36 PM
For the weight I'd go .308.

Ed.
05-13-2010, 3:42 PM
You can get a nice AR for $1k or less, but $3k for a SCAR? It's overpriced.

3K? The thiefs at Canyon want 4K for one.

Toast
05-13-2010, 3:50 PM

It's not that heavy, it's 7lbs 3oz's (I believe) unloaded and the ACR is 8lbs 4oz's :eek: .

cmace22
05-13-2010, 3:52 PM

You mean the heavy 7.24lb of SCAR is the 308 ballpark!

When you think about the cost for a quality piston AR, the price of a SCAR or even an ACR isnt that far out there.

Add in the fact that they were both designed as a piston and not retrofitted to a new idea like an AR. Then think about how much it would cost to convert your AR to a folding stock. I think your right about in the range of a 2500 SCAR or ACR.

A modern gun design, piston, folding stock, LIGHT WEIGHT, Quick change barrel..... I think its more than worth it.

Gallows
05-13-2010, 4:14 PM
I have one and sold a few. I like them a lot. Any specific questions?

Well I'm looking into getting the .308 version. I was going to ask weight but that was covered ha. How is the felt recoil in your opinion? Accuracy? And I haven't heard much in terms of reliability. Another is can you use the AR-15 type 10rnd magazines with the SCAR? I'm also looking into getting into an EOTECH or possibly a Trijicon ACOG. I plan on using this rifle ALOT so reliability and longevity is a must. Thanks for the responses guys!

Gallows
05-13-2010, 4:16 PM
Also for a side note the AR-15 type rifles are nice, but after shooting the crap out of them for the past three years and lugging them around with me everywhere they just aren't appealing anymore. Just me though.

cmace22
05-13-2010, 4:20 PM
If the SCAR had reliability issues I dont think this would have happened! (http://www.fnhusa.com/le/press/detail.asp?id=82)

Its been in development for what 5-6 years now.

“The SCAR is one of the most tested small arms in our military’s history and is currently being employed in the fight to defend freedom,” said United States Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC), member of the Senate Armed Services Committee. “Products of excellence, like the SCAR, represent the continuation of a long and proud tradition of defense manufacturing in South Carolina. I look forward to the continued use of this weapons system.”

Gallows
05-13-2010, 4:34 PM
If the SCAR had reliability issues I dont think this would have happened! (http://www.fnhusa.com/le/press/detail.asp?id=82)

Its been in development for what 5-6 years now.

“The SCAR is one of the most tested small arms in our military’s history and is currently being employed in the fight to defend freedom,” said United States Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC), member of the Senate Armed Services Committee. “Products of excellence, like the SCAR, represent the continuation of a long and proud tradition of defense manufacturing in South Carolina. I look forward to the continued use of this weapons system.”

That answers that! :)

b.faust
05-13-2010, 5:22 PM
I got to shoot my friends SCAR at the range and really enjoyed it.
But not enough to dump 3k++ on one.

I'd buy a REPR if I was down with spending that kind of bank on more toys right now.

Plisk
05-13-2010, 5:40 PM
If you want a good semi-auto .308. The SCAR 17S (aka SCAR Heavy) is a good piece, but as others have said it's a hefty chunk of change. The LWRCI REPR is another excellent rifle, but pushes the 3.5k range as well. A more affordable option would be an FAL rifle. If you have the money to blow, I'd shoot for the SCAR since LWRC has been having batch issues with magwells in their REPRs. Some REPRs are extremely picky about mags, and has been creating some problems. LWRC is doing a good job fixing the problem, but it still seems to pop up occasionally. Older run rifles still on the market maybe? But with the SCAR, the 17s hasn't been on the market for very long, who knows if it has any hiccups of its own.

I own an LWRC 5.56 rifle, and I have nothing but good things to say about it (since my wallet isn't allowed to speak), so both are very good options. It's up to what works for you.

Gallows
05-13-2010, 5:43 PM
Money really isn't an issue here even though I would love to save as much as I can. I just figured I would treat myself for once haha

Sure Shot 45
05-13-2010, 6:18 PM
They have one at Martin B. Rettings in Cluver City for around $2,700. Just seen it a few days ago, it's a tan brown color in .223/556

cmace22
05-13-2010, 6:19 PM
Gun broker routinely has them in the 2300 range. Shop around. Im waiting to see how this ACR thing plays out. If it doesnt get better.... SCAR here I come.

SCAR NIB 2300 (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168897444)

b.faust
05-13-2010, 7:09 PM
Money really isn't an issue here even though I would love to save as much as I can. I just figured I would treat myself for once haha

Regardless of the opinions on the SCAR, if you're smitten with one and want to treat yourself I say do it. It's your money to spend after all.

Range time is my time, and I want to be out there with something I really wanted and enjoy shooting.

I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting and owning the SCAR.

Rob454
05-13-2010, 8:40 PM
I personally think its uglier than sin. may be a perfect rifle but its still butt ugly IMO and whats with the crappy looking folding stock

Linkpimp
05-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I've had the opportunity to shoot the SCAR a few time and I really like it.. It’s lighter, better balanced and kicks less than my ACR..

It's a really fun gun to shoot.. You shouldn’t be disappointed in it at all.. With one exception.. It has recuperating handle and lots of people have gotten bit by it, so watch where you put your hand..

cntrolsguy
05-13-2010, 10:18 PM
I love my SCAR16S and will definitely get the SCAR17.

Gallows
05-14-2010, 1:30 AM
Well with the few posts that I got I can say with confidence I have my sights set on getting it ASAP. Thanks guys!

brando
05-14-2010, 2:58 AM
I shot one recently and it's pretty impressive, though honestly it would be such a shame to neuter one that I'm going to skip getting one myself. The feel from shooting it reminds me of the SIG 550s and it's a masterpiece of modularity and adjustment.

Toolbox X
05-14-2010, 7:05 AM
Gallows, what you need to do is drive down to Sac and shoot mine. :cheers2:

Toolbox X
05-14-2010, 7:52 AM
Also, you shouldn't pay more than $2300 for a SCAR, and you should be able to find one for $2200 if you look hard.

gregshin
05-14-2010, 8:53 AM
i was able to handle and fire a SCAR16 and it was very handy and light. The ergonomics were great and the felt recoil was very smooth and light unlike the piston AR uppers that i've owned. I liked it alot and it is on my to own list once the prices drop even further.

stormy_clothing
05-14-2010, 1:08 PM
Also, you shouldn't pay more than $2300 for a SCAR, and you should be able to find one for $2200 if you look hard.

the have one with upgrades for 2100 buy it now

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=169004041#PIC

Gallows
05-14-2010, 1:12 PM
Gallows, what you need to do is drive down to Sac and shoot mine. :cheers2:

Ha I could make a day out of that! I have my 1911 in the shop though so until that gets out I'm not really going shooting anywhere haha. It goes with me to the range all the time. But when I get it back I would make that trip no problem:)

AH!!!! 2100? I don't have money right now, don't get the second half of my bonus until August! Maybe if I complain to the NG they will speed up the process:D. Doubtful though.

05-14-2010, 1:27 PM
Love quick change barrels.

is the SCARh or ACR compatible with AK mags? Thought I remember seeing that one of them would be with conversion?

Any word on when scar h is coming out?

05-15-2010, 9:32 AM
anyone know

Gallows
05-15-2010, 9:37 AM
I'm not sure about its compatibility with AK magazines, but I read somewhere that you can use standard AR mags for them. And the last time I checked it was out, although I don't see many around. Try this place http://www.lanworldinc.com/Rifle.html, found it while browsing CG.

The DRis
05-15-2010, 10:07 AM
IMO Lan World is ripping californians off.

Also from what I read the Scar is not going to have quick change barrels for civilians. Something about proper torqueing and what not. I'll dig up the article when I get home.

Gallows
05-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Never even heard of them up until a few days back I have experience with them so I can't really say. I know impactguns.com sells them. Not sure if they sell the CA legal ones however.

The DRis
05-15-2010, 10:37 AM
I've had a really good experience with them. And a really bad experience. I don't want to turn this into a bashing thread. Just want to warn you. Compare their price to others price. They charge quite a bit extra to make it CA compliant. Quite a bit

leelaw
05-15-2010, 11:21 AM
The SCAR is supposed to have barrel and caliber conversions, HOWEVER the import ruling by BATFE pertaining to barrels and such prohibit any of said barrels or caliber changes to be imported until FN begins domestic manufacture of them, or find another creative way of importing them.

The SCAR piqued my interest when it was announced and released, then I handled one and I lost a lot of that interest. Then I shot one and, dangit, I really want one again!

The DRis
05-15-2010, 1:09 PM
Leelaw, why did you initially lose interest?

acaligunner
05-15-2010, 2:35 PM
Not to throw this topic too far off, but what do they do to a CA Legal Scar?

Does it use the same bullet button as the AR-15. Is it alright to have the folding stock features, etc.

I'm saving up for a Scar H in 308.

acaligunner

cseabass
05-15-2010, 2:50 PM
i like mine, though i spent 2300 on it. not 3 grand. im very happy with my purchase.

The DRis
05-15-2010, 2:59 PM
Bullet Button and pin the stock. The rifle has to be 30" long. Folded it's not long enough.

reidnez
05-15-2010, 5:45 PM
I vote Garand! It's a piece of history, awesome to shoot, and you can have it un-neutered the way John intended :)

Heck, for the price of a SCAR you could buy 2 Garands plus enough ammo to enjoy them for a while.

leelaw
05-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Leelaw, why did you initially lose interest?

I didn't like the price tag, and the feel of the rifle didn't 'wow' me like I felt it should have.

It really feels like an HK G36 with a longer bolt carrier, reciprocating charging handle, and a much, MUCH sturdier buttstock.

Toolbox X
05-16-2010, 12:25 AM
It really feels like an HK G36 with a longer bolt carrier, reciprocating charging handle, and a much, MUCH sturdier buttstock.

Everyone seems to think the G36 is some exotic rifle of perfection because we can't have them. I've handled the different G36 varients on numerous occasions and every time I have walked away thinking the G36 feels like a piece of crap. The cheapness of the plastic is outrageous.

05-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Everyone seems to think the G36 is some exotic rifle of perfection because we can't have them. I've handled the different G36 varients on numerous occasions and every time I have walked away thinking the G36 feels like a piece of crap. The cheapness of the plastic is outrageous.

I'm an HK buff but I would have to agree with you.

I'm getting impatient waiting on the 308 scar and about to go with the LWRC REPR but already have a POF 308 so think I'll just wait it out. If it doesn't come with QC barrels then I'll pass on the SCAR H.