PDA

View Full Version : Full Auto / Short Barrel

xLusi0n
03-11-2006, 10:46 AM
I know this is controlled by Federal Law...but what state law governs this? If an AR-15 is registered as an assault weapon already...is it remotely possible to get it registered Federally as a Short Barrel or Auto? Sorry, I'm not too clear on this I've read some bits here and there, but mostly it pertained to registering a full-auto / short barrel AW in CA (like if it was new, not a prior CA registered AW)...

I know in other states, you pay a $200 tax to the Federal government or something like that.

phish
03-11-2006, 10:54 AM
California has prohibited Class III firearms for quite some time, along with silencers. I don't know much about SBRs though, someone will chime in.

xenophobe
03-11-2006, 10:58 AM
SBRs aren't allowed. First you would need to get a State SBR Permit, then you would need to get ATF approval, then you would need to get a local chief sheriff or LEO to sign off on it. Fat chance.

6172crew
03-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Although if you wanted to open your own bussines then you can have the Class 3 stuff.

state law says you can get a permit if you run a movie prop shop and of course if you want to be a class 3 dealer then you can own the weapons when you close shop.

Plan on spending 14k or so just to grease the palms of those giving the permits.

BTW there is a class 3 dealer in Hayward, super nice guy.

ADDICTEDto.223LOWERS
03-11-2006, 12:03 PM
im from hayward! what shop is that?!? :eek:

EBWhite
03-11-2006, 12:23 PM
You can have a kinda of SBR, as long as it is registered as a pistol...good luck, but easier than getting some of the things above done...

Mssr. Eleganté
03-11-2006, 12:42 PM
You can have a kinda of SBR, as long as it is registered as a pistol...good luck, but easier than getting some of the things above done...

Yes, as long at is registered as a pistol AND it has no buttstock.

I guess you could buy a pistol and just call it your "stockless SBR". http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

jdberger
03-11-2006, 5:44 PM
I read somewhere that California has the most Class III weapons. Funny given the law. I guess that it is fine as long as you are making the state money in taxes....:confused:

xLusi0n
03-11-2006, 5:53 PM
Maybe it's because of Hollywood?

jdberger
03-11-2006, 6:07 PM
I think that some of the largest NFA dealers are in Cali - they just can't sell any of their guns to us citizens.:mad:

Mike Searson
03-11-2006, 6:14 PM
I read somewhere that California has the most Class III weapons. Funny given the law. I guess that it is fine as long as you are making the state money in taxes....:confused:

Don't know where you read that one...unless it was back when the Hollywood armorers were still there....or if they're counting the ordnance on Military bases.

adamsreeftank
03-12-2006, 8:10 PM

Careful with your "legal" advice EBWhite.

I believe the CA law considers any handgun with a magazine well outside of the pistol grip to be an AW. So an AR "pistol" is not CA legal.

If the receivers ever get listed and registered, I doubt you would be able to build an AR pistol either. The reciever would need to be registed as a pistol, and none have passed the drop test to be certified in CA.

Matt C
03-12-2006, 9:21 PM
According to a DOJ letter I read, a gun manufactured by a private person does not need to be drop tested. You can make up to 5 per year without a permit. Of course the 58 independant yada yada... applies.

jdberger
03-14-2006, 7:46 PM
Don't know where you read that one...unless it was back when the Hollywood armorers were still there....or if they're counting the ordnance on Military bases.

Ah HA! I found it. The numbers come from a 2000-2001 ATF report but I found it on the Legal Community Against Violence website (http://www.lcav.org/index.asp).

Here is the quote which is on this page (http://www.lcav.org/content/masterlist.asp#machineguns)

According to the ATF, in 2000 there were a total of 278,958 registered machine guns nationwide. Department of the Treasury, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Firearms Commerce in the United States: 2001/2002, Exhibit 9. The four states with the greatest number of machine guns were Texas (19,415), Connecticut (17,289), Florida (15,285), and California (14,916); those with the fewest were Delaware (146), Hawaii (246), Rhode Island (416) and North Dakota (1,019). Id.

Though there is a hyperlink in the text, the link is dead. A quick google search found plenty of references to the report, but no copies. I guess that I could go to the library for it but they have a hitman out looking for me....:eek:

EBWhite
03-14-2006, 9:34 PM
Careful with your "legal" advice EBWhite.

I believe the CA law considers any handgun with a magazine well outside of the pistol grip to be an AW. So an AR "pistol" is not CA legal.

If the receivers ever get listed and registered, I doubt you would be able to build an AR pistol either. The reciever would need to be registed as a pistol, and none have passed the drop test to be certified in CA.

We are both correct :D

Until these get listed, a magazine would need to be fixed with a nut and magwell glued as per DOJ current wisdom on what a tool means...

If they never get listed, you need a perm fixed mag with a single shot upper. If it gets listed, you can put a regular pistol upper with a detach mag unless they do the catagory 4 thing....

As long as the manufact. logbook says pistol you have a pistol according to federal standards. Drop tests are not req on single shots or self made guns according to the DOJ letter...

And finally, a pistol can be a rifle (16" barrel and stock), but a rifle can never be a pistol (short barrel)....

Mesa Tactical
03-15-2006, 4:36 AM
I think that some of the largest NFA dealers are in Cali - they just can't sell any of their guns to us citizens.:mad:

One of our customers is a Hollywood armorer and also a Class III dealer in LA. They just did a deal selling machine guns to an out of state police department. Oh the irony!

Mike Searson
03-15-2006, 5:32 AM
Ah HA! I found it. The numbers come from a 2000-2001 ATF report but I found it on the Legal Community Against Violence website (http://www.lcav.org/index.asp).

Here is the quote which is on this page (http://www.lcav.org/content/masterlist.asp#machineguns)

Though there is a hyperlink in the text, the link is dead. A quick google search found plenty of references to the report, but no copies. I guess that I could go to the library for it but they have a hitman out looking for me....:eek:

In the past 5-6 years Stembridge has left the business and most if not all the guns were sold out of state.