PDA

View Full Version : Shooting A Mauser K98k

Jason762
05-13-2010, 1:20 PM
Anyone else find aiming a Mauser difficult to do? I'm not used to the "V" sighting system and it seems hard for my eyes to pick up. When focusing on the front sight, the rear sight blurs so bad it makes it tough to align the top of the /\ with the top of the
__ __
| \/ |

I have no vision problems and do well with peep and regular notch sights, but damned if I have a hard time with those inverted V sights.

Any tips? Maybe an outline of the front sight with white fingernail paint?

Jpach
05-13-2010, 2:53 PM
My old mauser was pretty hard to aim, since it seems to all blend in. I wish they were more like mosin sights. My uncles Colombian mauser has regular mauser sights but perhaps the V slot is a little larger so I can actually pick it up with my eyes.

rjf
05-13-2010, 3:02 PM
Many mauser sights are difficult to use. While I have not used these: http://www.mojosights.com/ the reviews are good and the rifle can be returned to military configuration.

EOD3
05-13-2010, 3:07 PM
"IF" you have a repeatable stock/cheek weld, the rear sight is pretty much useless unless you're shooting long range... I know, sounds funny but it's true.

Bhobbs
05-13-2010, 3:19 PM
I really don't like the v notch sights. I love the peep sights on my M1 Garand though.

Beetle Bailey
05-13-2010, 9:07 PM
Hmmm. . . well the 98k I used to have shot about 8 inches high anyways, so I didn't worry too much about lining up the vertical. I just used a "lollipop" hold on the bullseye and tried to keep the front sight in the middle of the "V". BTW, that was with Yugo heavy ball surplus ammo and the rear sight set at 100m. HTH.

richzmn
05-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Just get used to it. I shot my enough, it's right on target. I have a 43 german mauser.