PDA

View Full Version : The Jan. Walnut Creek bust: charges dropped

Creeping Incrementalism
03-11-2006, 10:43 AM
I heard that the suspect in the January weapons/explosives bust in Walnut Creek had all charges dropped against him. I haven't heard any media reports, but live in the area, and word filtered down to me. Does anyone else know anything about this?

I know there was another thread about this (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26982), and I posted a question a few weeks ago in the same thread, but no one responded.

phish
03-11-2006, 10:56 AM
charges may have been dropped, but I'm sure he doesn't have his guns

TonyM
03-11-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm sure if it does get into any of the papers we have here it will be printed in very fine print, using invisible ink and behind an Anti-Gun political advertisement. ;)

blacklisted
03-11-2006, 11:28 AM
It figures...these anti-gun reporters often refuse or "forget" to do follups when the charges in their article about someone gathering an "arsenal" don't stick. And if they do, they don't get nearly the attention the original article does.

artherd
03-11-2006, 9:27 PM
Wow, pretty interesting. They probally had no or improper PC for the search. I'm surprised they'd let the explosive charges go.

wilit
03-11-2006, 11:15 PM
It figures...these anti-gun reporters often refuse or "forget" to do follups when the charges in their article about someone gathering an "arsenal" don't stick. And if they do, they don't get nearly the attention the original article does.

Having a GF who has been in the journalism field for some time, I can tell you there is no button at the courthouse where you can click and subscribe to certain cases like you can threads on a forum. A good percentage of the stories that get written are discovered by someone calling into the paper and dropping a tip. If you feel this is a story that needs to be heard, then by all means, call up your local newspaper City Editor (they're the reporter's boss) and tell them you'd like to see a follow up story. I assure you, it's not a plot by the "leftist liberal media".

Also try and remember, this is a country whose economy is based on capitalism. Newspapers are not state sponsored, nor should they ever be. Otherwise you might as well subscribe to the Bejing Daily Journal. Newspapers need to turn a profit just like any other business.

grammaton76
03-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Having a GF who has been in the journalism field for some time, I can tell you there is no button at the courthouse where you can click and subscribe to certain cases like you can threads on a forum.

Hmm, something I've wondered about for a while, and perhaps your gf has some info on that.

Since the internet's gotten so big over the last decade, are newspapers finding it harder to get subscribers? Personally, I don't subscribe to one... I'd rather not kill a bunch of trees when I can just read what I want online for free.

BamBam-31
03-11-2006, 11:44 PM
That post completely ignores the media's "If it bleeds, it leads" mentality. People buy papers to read about murder, rape, robbery, etc. Who wants to buy a paper writing about Joe Schmuck's son graduating Cum Laude, or how I had a pleasant day watering the tomatoes in my garden, or how the guy down the street got a promotion? Big yawn. Now, if the guy down the street took a high-powered fully-automatic assault revolver loaded with cop killer bullets and shot and killed Joe Schmuck's son while I was watering my tomatoes, THAT's a story people will pay $0.50 to read. Sad fact of life. And if papers are out to make a buck, as you say, then what kind of stories do you think editors prefer to have published?

metalhead357
03-12-2006, 12:42 AM
Wow, pretty interesting. They probally had no or improper PC for the search. I'm surprised they'd let the explosive charges go.

+1 on the the search IMO.......... as for the explosives...whattya' expect from 58 County overly zealous DA's? I remember the story but not all the specfics so forgive me if I'm tooooo astray. Knowing how they got the "arsenal" part wrong anyone wanna bet the explosives amounted to nothing more than a lighter sitting to close to the stove:cool: Or a lighter and an aresol can of Binacha:rolleyes:

artherd
03-12-2006, 12:58 AM
+1 on the the search IMO.......... as for the explosives...whattya' expect from 58 County overly zealous DA's? I remember the story but not all the specfics so forgive me if I'm tooooo astray. Knowing how they got the "arsenal" part wrong anyone wanna bet the explosives amounted to nothing more than a lighter sitting to close to the stove:cool: Or a lighter and an aresol can of Binacha:rolleyes:

You know, he had the lid for the can of binacha bolted on, but it was so easily removable that the DOJ opined it was still illegal, and they just rolled him anyway.

Turns out, that if the cap did fall off his binacha, and the lighter was capable of being grasped in a "knifelike mannar" then he could have been facing TWO FELONY CHARGES!

Wheras with the cap bolted, he was perfectly fine having the lighter taped to the can.

metalhead357
03-12-2006, 1:10 AM
:) lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lighter..in...a...knifelike manner!!!!!!!! Bhaaaaa Haaaaa Haaa! Sounds JUST ABOUT Right for Bay Area ideals of 'justice":cool:

Metalhead

wilit
03-12-2006, 9:12 AM
Hmm, something I've wondered about for a while, and perhaps your gf has some info on that.

Since the internet's gotten so big over the last decade, are newspapers finding it harder to get subscribers? Personally, I don't subscribe to one... I'd rather not kill a bunch of trees when I can just read what I want online for free.

They have a huge problem with exactly that. 75% of their readership is over 65 years of age. Her newspaper chain has implemented a new, more interactive website with lots of pictures and video that will appeal to a younger audience. But they do have a serious decline in their subscribership because of the internet.

Another thing to remember, since almost all of the newspapers in the Bay Area are either owned by Knight Ridder or ANG Newspapers, you're not going to see a lot of articles that venture out of the paper's coverage area. Meaning, if you read the Merc, there's a good likelyhood that you will not see a followup story for this Walnut Creek thing. It's outside of their coverage area. The Knight Ridder paper that would cover that would be the CC Times. But unless the DA released a press release, or one of the reporters had an insider in the DA's office or at the court clerks office, there's virtually no way of knowing what's going on with the case.

Omega13device
03-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I heard that the suspect in the January weapons/explosives bust in Walnut Creek had all charges dropped against him. I haven't heard any media reports, but live in the area, and word filtered down to me. Does anyone else know anything about this?

I know there was another thread about this (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26982), and I posted a question a few weeks ago in the same thread, but no one responded.

"Word filtered down" to you...that's how it works in the telephone game too...is there any confirmation of this or are we arguing over nothing?

Not busting on you at all CI, it's a valid topic, just thinking that we should have the facts before jumping to conclusions about what happened and why.

glen avon
03-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Having a GF who has been in the journalism field for some time, I can tell you there is no button at the courthouse where you can click and subscribe to certain cases like you can threads on a forum. ...

if it's a federal case you can sign up with the PACER system

Creeping Incrementalism
03-12-2006, 3:58 PM
"Word filtered down" to you...that's how it works in the telephone game too...is there any confirmation of this or are we arguing over nothing?

Not busting on you at all CI, it's a valid topic, just thinking that we should have the facts before jumping to conclusions about what happened and why.

Confirmation and more information is what I was looking for. And I forgot to mention, I heard the charges were dropped because of how the evidence was obtained. Sorry to be vague, I'm just saying what I heard and asking what everone else heard. I'll ask the guy I heard it from if he knows any more.

Clodbuster
03-13-2006, 11:48 AM
The 58 DAs are too busy to worry about some nut making illegal explosive devices. They're looking into what's really important -- what to do about all those legal unlisted lowers....

Clod